Psychedelic Renegades

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Psychedelic Renegades

Post by alma »

I've just purchased a reissue of Mick Rock's Psychedelic Renegades. It not the luxury edition that is sold for 300 pounds but just for owning a cpoy of this illustrated book it's fine.
Nice pictures.
Does anyone here own an original, maybe even one that was signed by Mr. Barrett?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Psychedelic Renegades

Post by moom »

What, Roger Keith had a signing session or something :o :D ?
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Yes, when the book came out in a limited edition of 950 copies, Mick Rock asked Syd if he would sign them. He signed 320 copies and the rest goes with only Mick Rock's autograph. But there are 320 copies signed by Barrett too. He signed them at home in Cambridge because the book was released after he "retired". So it was a closed session -no public allowed-.
Maybe he stopped signing suffering from typewriters cramp..... :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

alma wrote:Yes, when the book came out in a limited edition of 950 copies, Mick Rock asked Syd if he would sign them. He signed 320 copies and the rest goes with only Mick Rock's autograph. But there are 320 copies signed by Barrett too. He signed them at home in Cambridge because the book was released after he "retired". So it was a closed session -no public allowed-.
Maybe he stopped signing suffering from typewriters cramp..... :D
1. Did he feel uncomfortable so he left?
2. Well, what public there was then, and how did they know about the session?
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Dear moom,
the book was released long after Syd's breakdown, when he wa already living in Cambrige as a recluse. So it was a miracle that Mick Rock was able to get some reaction from him. That he was willing to sign the book was even more of a miracle. That's was Rock writes himself. So there would have been no session, obviously. Mick Rock doesn't decribe exactly if he shipped a load of books to Cambridge for Syd to sign or if he drove down carrying a trunk full of copies, or if he somehow managed to kidnap Syd and locked him in somewhere until he wrote his autograph in 950 books, I have no idea.
Roger Keith Barrett experts: help us !
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Thanks anyway, Alma :D

Help! We need somebody. Help! Not just anybooody. Help! You know we need an expert. HEEELP!
When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I shone like the Sun.
But now those days are gone, I'm not so self-assure.
Now there're black holes in the sky.

WOW, talk about "Help!" and "Shine On!" lyrics! :lol:
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I believe he just gave Syd the page that was to be signed, which was later combined with the rest of the book when it was bound. There has been reports of the signed edition selling for many thousands of dollars...on ebay, of course.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

alma wrote: Mick Rock doesn't decribe exactly if he shipped a load of books to Cambridge for Syd to sign or if he drove down carrying a trunk full of copies, or if he somehow managed to kidnap Syd and locked him in somewhere until he wrote his autograph in 950 books, I have no idea.
"Syd" signed "R. Barrett" into a piece of paper and then the autograph was copied for the books (320 items).
Actually this was his only "public" action in about 30 years, maybe he needed some cash or maybe it was simply done for a friend (M. Rock).
But I agree, it was a miracle. Or should I say odd behavior :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

zag wrote:
alma wrote: Mick Rock doesn't decribe exactly if he shipped a load of books to Cambridge for Syd to sign or if he drove down carrying a trunk full of copies, or if he somehow managed to kidnap Syd and locked him in somewhere until he wrote his autograph in 950 books, I have no idea.
"Syd" signed "R. Barrett" into a piece of paper and then the autograph was copied for the books (320 items).
Actually this was his only "public" action in about 30 years, maybe he needed some cash or maybe it was simply done for a friend (M. Rock).
:lol: Well, maybe there were times when Syd tried to break away from his reclusion, but something inside always stopped him...
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

zag wrote:
Well, I can't see how a reproduction of Syd's autograph would make a book worth so much money. The signed limited edition has an actual autograph by Syd in every copy. It has to. That's why people have been selling them for $4000.00
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

2066 wrote: The signed limited edition has an actual autograph by Syd in every copy. It has to. That's why people have been selling them for $4000.00
I have made several inquiries about these autographs. My question is are they all signed or are they copied ( maybe from a few actual ones).
I´ve read that publisher´s agent said they´re copies. Someone else said they´re all hand written in a piece of papers, so here we go. M.Rock doesn´t remember and I don´t know how to check this thing.
But it would be a whole different thing if Roger signed his name for 320 times. Makes you think again, wouldn´t it...
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Post by FitchV »

Dear moom,
the book was released long after Syd's breakdown, when he wa already living in Cambrige as a recluse. So it was a miracle that Mick Rock was able to get some reaction from him. That he was willing to sign the book was even more of a miracle. That's was Rock writes himself. So there would have been no session, obviously. Mick Rock doesn't decribe exactly if he shipped a load of books to Cambridge for Syd to sign or if he drove down carrying a trunk full of copies, or if he somehow managed to kidnap Syd and locked him in somewhere until he wrote his autograph in 950 books, I have no idea.
To clarify and confuse:

There are no copies of the book Psychedelic Renegades signed by Syd Barrett.
What the original books include is a signed piece of paper that is inserted in the book.
The pieces of paper that are signed have original signatures on them. They are not photocopies.
No one actually saw Barrett sign the pieces of paper, not Mick Rock or the publishers.
The signatures do not match other Barrett autographs.

Does that clear things up? No, I didn't think so...

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

FitchV wrote:
Dear moom,
To clarify and confuse:

There are no copies of the book Psychedelic Renegades signed by Syd Barrett.
What the original books include is a signed piece of paper that is inserted in the book.
The pieces of paper that are signed have original signatures on them. They are not photocopies.
No one actually saw Barrett sign the pieces of paper, not Mick Rock or the publishers.

Does that clear things up? No, I didn't think so...

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
:lol: Good one :lol:
You've learned the art of Confusion well from me :D
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

FitchV wrote: No one actually saw Barrett sign the pieces of paper, not Mick Rock or the publishers.

:lol:

Thanks Vernon.
I wonder will mrs Breen ever tell the real story about this signature business.
Somehow it´s hard to imagine Roger handwriting his autograph over and over again. I mean 320 times at least !
Wasn´t that against his religion :lol:

So I really wonder what he thought he was doing.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

So we will never know the truth but now I understand why Mr. Rock doesn't go into details. Thanks a lot.