How many languages do you speak?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

How Many Languages do you Speak?

32%
25%
18%
21%
4%
No votes
No votes
more than that?
No votes

Total votes: 28

orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

How many languages do you speak?

Post by orange floyd »

Since this is an english board and a rather large one at that, and as with any board, i suppose, there are many people who do not speak english as a first language, etc.

Also language in relation to geography vs. i guess you could say national history rather fascinates me, so im curious. once you vote the number, do a post to say which ones, and perhaps elaborate on how and why you learned your supplemental language(s).
Eclipse

Re: How many languages do you speak?

Post by Eclipse »

portuguese and english =PPP

Portuguese is my mother tongue, since i live in Brazil. I started to study English at school (which served as basis), and began a course in 1999 (which was ended in 2005). I haven't been practicing English properly since the ending of 2005, therefore i'm feeling some difficulties with it recently (mainly with prepositions and those "have been" , "been", "has been", "had been", "was", "were, stuff) and i sadly think i am not speaking and writing it as properly as i did two years ago. Also, the lack of contact with the language during now (university time, so only portuguese) helps to make me get a bit more lost on the language (in or on? at or in? see?), as i won't have much time to use the internet and posting on forums too much (and this was a great help to learn and improve english). Some of you may have noticed that my posts nowadays may contain more typos and grammar mistakes then those i made a couple of years ago. I really dislike when i lose practice on something! :evil:
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

German, English, French, Spanish and Italian
But I must admit that my Spanish and my Italian would benefit from some practise. I always found it quite easy to learn languages and it helps a lot when travelling.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I only speak English. That became a problem a few years ago because I was always pissed. :lol:
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I speak (ashamedly) english only fluently but can speak a little french also.
Whenever i go to a different country, i always take a phrase book with me and learn a few words of the native languge. Had a great time in Brazil putting simple sentances together and really wanted to learn more Portuguese when i got home but the usual time constraints take over and it gets put aside. I would dearly love to be able to speak another language or two fluently to some degree.
I am always impressed by people that can speak a multitude of languages such as Alma :D and i also think it's a shame that English people never bother to learn another language but instead expect everyone else to speak their own language.
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

English of course.

Some Irish, French and Spanish i.e. I can hold a conversation and order a meal or a drink.
Vidar
Blade
Blade

Post by Vidar »

English, Icelandic, Danish and German.

English and Danish are mandatory from the ages af 12-16 and most also take a couple of classes in collage. Most people also select a third language when entering collage and I chose German, it sounded more fun than French.

I haven't spoken Danish in a long time so I guess I am a bit rustic in that language, but where I work (I work at a car rental agency) I have to use English most of the time and German where that is applicable.

My aim is also to learn Russian.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Four.

Besides Serbian, that's my native language, I also speak English (as you see), Russian and Croatian. Basically, Serbian and Croatian have very little difference but they're still not the same language.

I also studied Latin in high school but I don't count that since it's not a spoken language.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

English, French ( took french imersion in school from JK to grade 9 ) and Married to my wife , who's family speak Spanish so picked - up a bit on that over the years... so I 'd say 2 and 1/2 :D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

English is my first language so hopefully I'm reasonably proficient at it! I can also speak enuff Irish and French to get by and/or to alarm the natives with my attempts to strangle their language
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Finnish, Swedish and some English.

I can speak some kitchen french too ! :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

For Sure Know:
English (the Canadian kind, which is a kind of British-American hybrid in many ways)
Love (yeah, baby!!! :smt047 :smt049 )

Sorta Know:
French (well, I'm very rusty at this point)
Spanish (very rusty too)
Lithuanian (strange one, but I know it a bit)
Cowards
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Cowards »

Nje iruhegrj mkdlrwe4i y5htgfklj tr jhtrpihjt poyrj5

alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

The enigma?