bob dylan blues

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Re: bob dylan blues

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

What baffles me more than anything is that this is a Pink Floyd forum, which involves all members of Pink Floyd, including Syd Barrett, the generator of the Pink Floyd name.

As soon as a few newer members start showing some appreciation for an ex Floyd member you guys are down on them like a tonne of bricks.

I don't particulary like Nick Mason, but I am not there canning him every time someone wishes to discuss his drumming.

What, are you two of the not so fully grown short and curlies (MB & PI) the resident trolls that seem to get away with murder or something?

Who's shagging who?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

MetalMickey wrote:if you knew anything about Dylan ... you would understand that Barrett's word-play all make reference to some of Dylan's lyrics (and they're quite well done).
I know nothing about Dylans lyrics
and would appreciate if you could expand on this point
cuz I've obviously been missing out on the key aspect of the song

(and ignore the knuckleheads please, its past their bedtime anyway)
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

There's been so much negativity on this forum lately. :?
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:What baffles me more than anything is that this is a Pink Floyd forum, which involves all members of Pink Floyd, including Syd Barrett, the generator of the Pink Floyd name.

As soon as a few newer members start showing some appreciation for an ex Floyd member you guys are down on them like a tonne of bricks.

I don't particulary like Nick Mason, but I am not there canning him every time someone wishes to discuss his drumming.

What, are you two of the not so fully grown short and curlies (MB & PI) the resident trolls that seem to get away with murder or something?

Who's shagging who?

Gina, you are certainly one of the wittiest people I have ever conversed with! That's a classic post! Love it!

You lady, are also far more diplomatic than I. Very well said!
Last edited by Metal Mickey on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

J Ed wrote:
MetalMickey wrote:if you knew anything about Dylan ... you would understand that Barrett's word-play all make reference to some of Dylan's lyrics (and they're quite well done).
I know nothing about Dylans lyrics
and would appreciate if you could expand on this point
cuz I've obviously been missing out on the key aspect of the song

(and ignore the knuckleheads please, its past their bedtime anyway)
First of all, I'd like to apologize to all the fine folks who frequent this forum for my ridiculous and silly remarks directed at those two boys. I don't want to create any negative vibes on such a great site...It just blows my mind that they cannot just let people have a place where they can go to discuss a lost member of Pink Floyd without laying down a snarky remark here and there, to everything posted about Syd. If they don't dig him, fair enough, but I really wish they would stop putting down not only the man himself but also those that admire his creative output.

As for your question, J Ed, I've PMed you my response.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

PublicImage wrote:And to be perfectly jolly, I don't believe that I am considered a Pink Floyd fan, as a rarely listen to the group anymore and I dislike a vast amount of their output.
SAY WHAT?!!!!!! :shock: Sooooo, why are you a member of this board? :? Are you like, a poser? :lol:

p.s. 'Bob Dylan Blues'... classic Barrett!!!! :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Metal Mickey wrote:Nor do you know anything about Syd.
I won't even bother to answer the rest of the total shit you post in this thread but I will pick up your post here.

I do no a lot about Syd, I know more about his mental condition than your Astral Fire homies pretend to do, because unlike them, I don't have this stupid belief that if you knocked on his front door he would start spouting stories about "the good old days".

You see, where you old delusional **** all trip up is the same point. I once joined a Doors forum in the mistaken belief that people would talk about the music of the Doors, instead it was a bunch of middle-aged **** like you who firstly believed Morrison was still alive, and secondly fantasized endlessly about what sexual encounters they would have with him. Not only that but they thought they had some authority to say "oh well Jim would NEVER say this" or "Jim would just LOVE that" right?

You pathetic losers on Astral Fire are the same. Somehow because you have no social skills in the real world you live in this mistaken belief that sitting there behind your computer with your thumb up your ass made you somehow more empathic to Syd Barrett than anybody else, because... well.. you had a forum for similar losers with their thumbs up their collective asses.

You see what I'm getting at here?

Edit.

Same old crap again.. .post without insulting people!

Henno
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

mosespa wrote: Do I need to lock this thread?

Yes, please.

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Metal Mickey wrote:As for your question, J Ed, I've PMed you my response.
thanks Mickey that was a swell mini-essay
the kind of thing we ought to see more of here
I wish youd posted it in this thread cuz Im sure most folks would rather read your insights into the song (being ontopic and all) than some of the other discussion in this thread
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

my breakfast. wrote:
I won't even bother to answer the rest of the total shit you post in this thread but I will pick up your post here.

I do no a lot about Syd, I know more about his mental condition than your Astral Fire homies pretend to do, because unlike them, I don't have this stupid belief that if you knocked on his front door he would start spouting stories about "the good old days".

You see, where you old delusional***** all trip up is the same point. I once joined a Doors forum in the mistaken belief that people would talk about the music of the Doors, instead it was a bunch of middle-aged ***** like you who firstly believed Morrison was still alive, and secondly fantasized endlessly about what sexual encounters they would have with him. Not only that but they thought they had some authority to say "oh well Jim would NEVER say this" or "Jim would just LOVE that" right?

You pathetic losers on Astral Fire are the same. Somehow because you have no social skills in the real world you live in this mistaken belief that sitting there behind your computer with your thumb up your ass made you somehow more empathic to Syd Barrett than anybody else, because... well.. you had a forum for similar losers with their thumbs up their collective asses.

First of all, you're way off on my age, buddy...I guess when you're an adolescent, everyone over 25 seems geriatric.

Secondly, you have over 4000 posts versus my 28 and I'm the one with no social life who sits in front of the computer with her "thumb up her ass"! That's very interesting. It would seem that you can't really make that arguement based on your own stats.

Anyway, enough of this back and forth crap...it's getting rather old and a little boring. Besides, people do not come on this forum to read insults. Let's just agree to disagree and move on, shall we?
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

J Ed wrote:
Metal Mickey wrote:As for your question, J Ed, I've PMed you my response.
thanks Mickey that was a swell mini-essay
the kind of thing we ought to see more of here
I wish youd posted it in this thread cuz Im sure most folks would rather read your insights into the song (being ontopic and all) than some of the other discussion in this thread
Thanks, J Ed! Yes it was a mini-essay...sorry about that! Went on a little longer than I intended (as I mentioned, I was bloody tired!).

I was so going to post it, but I thought it was best not to as I know certain people here (not mentioning names) would have almost certainly attacked my views and I really didn't want to get into that, if you know what I mean.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

my breakfast. wrote:

You see, where you old delusional ***** all trip up is the same point. I once joined a Doors forum in the mistaken belief that people would talk about the music of the Doors, instead it was a bunch of middle-aged **** like you who firstly believed Morrison was still alive, and secondly fantasized endlessly about what sexual encounters they would have with him. Not only that but they thought they had some authority to say "oh well Jim would NEVER say this" or "Jim would just LOVE that" right?

Not really. I have read some of your past posts in regards to Syd Barrett when he was with Pink Floyd. They have been rather complimentary. However, the reference to Syd Barrett playing solo as a "spastic with a guitar" or something to matter still rings. You may have all the techinique and know all that a "wisened" person of your age has, but you do lack empathy, not so much for the Astral Piper Forum members (I don't really give a fat rat's arse what you think of me), but for the man himself.

Put yourself in his shoes. Imagine yourself flying with an album that is going rather well, the world ahead of you and bang! Your mind starts to unravel. Are you telling me, that if you started losing it mentally you would simply lay down your guitar and say that's it? Yes, that is what Syd Barrett did eventually, but beforehand he brought out two more albums.

So they are not perfect, and in all perfect honesty, if a person that did not know and have one tiny ounce of understanding of the man's past and his circumstances, I am sure they would look upon his work as shite. I am not beating around the bush there (or being delusional, as you put it). But in appreciating the wonderful work that was Piper at the Gates of Dawn, I was curious about Madcap Laughs and Barrett. At first I found them rather difficult to listen to, but I appreciate his lyrics, the rawness of his condition that came out in these albums and his humanity. Songs like Terrapin and Octopus are a continuation of the whimsy that Piper brought to us. It is obvious - the words are sublime. For me, personally, someone could be playing shit hot guitar, technically perfect you beauty, that was great stuff. But if the lyrics of the song are shit and meaningless, I pretty well switch off. But that's my taste.

Bob Dylan Blues is a great song, I believe written quite early in Barrett's career. I would not say it was a masterpiece, but a rather clever pisstake with that subtle, underlying ounce of respect.

No nastiness in this response, just don't really feel like playing silly little games any more.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

well said 8)
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

In the sad town
Cold iron hands clap the party of clowns outside :lol:

Give the kid a break, not everyone can handle going thru puberty! :lol: :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Hey Metal Mickey, post you analysis of this song!!

I haven't listened to it in years, and know quite a number of Dylan songs...maybe I'll listen to it tonight...

Actually, with the release of Piper in seven days, I have already begun a heavy Syd listening period...and it is likely to last another month...until the fat on releases his dvd...then it will be a heavy fat-guy listening period...