bob dylan blues

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Re: bob dylan blues

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

Earlier in the year I was listening to a bunch of Joni Mitchell concerts from the late 60's and one song had the exact same tune as the chorus of Bob Dylan Blues. Unfortunately I forgot to make a note of which one it was but I'm assuming it was a Dylan cover or Dylan-influenced. So which Dylan song did Syd borrow from for BDB?
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

Salmonberry Compendia wrote:Earlier in the year I was listening to a bunch of Joni Mitchell concerts from the late 60's and one song had the exact same tune as the chorus of Bob Dylan Blues. Unfortunately I forgot to make a note of which one it was but I'm assuming it was a Dylan cover or Dylan-influenced. So which Dylan song did Syd borrow from for BDB?
All of them (early songs, at least). :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

But the early songs all use about 2 chords each and have Dylan sucking and blowing ONE spot on his harmonica when he's not singing.

IT COULD BE ANY!
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

It seems to address about seven different songs on Dylan's 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan', released when Barrett was 17 (he wrote the song as a teenager).

I think the use of Dylan's full name twice in the song's opening line pokes fun at two titles on Freewheelin': "Bob Dylan's Blues" (not to be confused with Syd's song) and "Bob Dylan's Dream." In the chorus lyric "the wind you can blow it", Barrett cites the "blowing wind" motif in "Girl From The North Country," "Bob Dylan's Blues" and (of course) "Blowin' In The Wind."

Syd's rhyme of "dreams" and "seems" occurs in "Talking World War III Blues," while his reference to singing about "war in the cold" echoes "Masters Of War." The "shoes" in Syd's song appear in "Down the Highway," while the "hat" appears in both "Bob Dylan's Blues" and "Bob Dylan's Dream," from which Bob's mention of "a thousand dollars at the drop of a hat" becomes Syd's joke about the fan who "buys all my discs in a hat/and when I'm in town go see that" (Barrett did attend a Dylan show)...
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Syd said himself in Beat Instrumental (UK- June '71) "I mainly play guitar....you can play it all day, though, and you're not really saying much." I wonder how Gilmour feels about that. That's so honest. Would Clapton ever admit that. And don't tell me Clapton is "better" than Syd. Rubbish. I prefer Syds' style.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Aw...you're makin' me..and I'm trying not to...uh...aah...Clap..ton.is 'be..tte..r' than Sy..d
Do you feel 'better' now you made me say that? :shock:
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

:lol: :lol:
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Idisaffect wrote:Syd said himself in Beat Instrumental (UK- June '71) "I mainly play guitar....you can play it all day, though, and you're not really saying much." I wonder how Gilmour feels about that.
I think Gilmour says a helluva lot with his guitar!! 8)
He says a whole lot!
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

GilmourGirl wrote "I think Gilmour says a helluva lot with his guitar!! " I totally agree. Syd had a valid point, though.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

henno wrote:Lets bring this discussion back on topic..... and quit the insult throwing....

if you cant add anything positive or construcive in your critism then dont post in this forum...

Theresa is correct, Syd is supposed to have written this song after coming back from a Bob Dylan concert in 1963, but never actually recorded it till 1970... he was supposed to have gone with David Gilmour to the concert.......

http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/ptr/pflo ... /zzzz.html

Although R&B, improvised music and nursery rhyme-like folksong clearly influenced Barrett, the Dylan connection is far more obscure. Barrett and Gilmour -- at the time mere Cambridge-based teenage beat buffs -- did catch the visiting American at an early show in London in 1963, and it's likely that "Bob Dylan's Blues" was written during the following months. Peter Barnes, Pink Floyd's music publisher, maintains, "It's one of Syd's very earliest songs written before he even had a publishing deal."

The 1970 recording, with Barrett accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, is a neat take on Dylan's early, talking blues style. While finger-picking with typical, Dylan-like imprecision, Barrett gently lampoons Dylan's activism and instead plays up the singer's infamous nonchalance: "Got the Bob Dylan blues/And the Bob Dylan shoes/And my clothes and my hair's in a mess/But you know/I just couldn't care less." The chorus is equally even-handed: "Cos I'm a poet/Doncha know it/And the wind, you can blow it/Cos I'm Mr. Dylan, the King/And I'm free as a bird on the wing."

Though he later adopted Dylan's unkempt curly-top hairstyle, this is the first aural evidence of Syd Barrett's early enthusiasm for Dylan and provides an amusing aside to his more brain-teasing material.
wtf
4 pages to get a real clue about this great song
if you don't like syd then don't post in a syd topic

years from now some here will re read there posts here and see how STUPID they sound flaming on a pink floyd forum.

to me syd is god
but you don't see me comparing syd to any of the millions of no talents assholes who think there music is anything more than yesterdays rubbish

i mean the no talents first have to climb over thousands of other bands
to even reach the abba/yanni level
and syd is miles and miles above that

meeting the no talents here was a surprise thou
i never knew syd's bob dylans blues was written at the start
but it does seem to fit
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

my breakfast. wrote:But the early songs all use about 2 chords each