Plundering the archives

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Plundering the archives

Post by sashwap »

hey all!

quick intro -- i'm been a syd fan for close to decade now (i'm 25, so that's a large percentage of my life) and though i've had a number of bootleg tracks for a while, i haven't started really digging until recently.

my question for all you more knowledgeable folks is, simply, why is there so much still in the vaults? as far as syd solo is concerned, it seems like every complete, finished song has been released (not sure if "millionaire" was finished or not), but from what i've gathered the other members of pink floyd have continually blocked the release of things like "vegetable man" and "scream thy last scream." have they ever explained why?

i'm sure questions like this have been discussed to death already, but i've never seen addressed the issue of why pink floyd is so keen to not let this stuff get out there. any insights?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Plundering the archives

Post by J Ed »

I believe theyve said those two songs present Syd in a negative light,
as opposed to say The Madcap Laughs
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

J Ed wrote:I believe theyve said those two songs present Syd in a negative light,
odd. i know i've heard them say "vegetable man" was too dark and disturbing, but i don't really see it that way. it's a humorous song.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

On seperate occasions David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Rick Wright have all said they have no objections to "Vegetable Man" coming out. Roger even seems to be under the impression that it's already come out, and he certainly thinks enough of the song to recite the lyrics in the BBC Omnibus show about Syd. David has said that he has no say on what happens to the song, as it was recorded before he joined Pink Floyd.

I think the bands attitide to of lot of unreleased stuff is, "if it wasn't good enough to come out then, it isn't good enough to come out now". Not something I particularly agree with TBH. But what do I know, I'm still waiting for The Big Spliff ( the ambient music recorded during the recording of The Division Bell)to come out
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

dgsyd1 wrote: I think the bands attitide to of lot of unreleased stuff is, "if it wasn't good enough to come out then, it isn't good enough to come out now". Not something I particularly agree with TBH. But what do I know, I'm still waiting for The Big Spliff ( the ambient music recorded during the recording of The Division Bell)to come out
Yes. They probably have no idea that fans are interested anyway. So, even if that stuff REALLY ain't much of good, what damage will it do to their reputation and fandom!
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

dgsyd1 wrote:On seperate occasions David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Rick Wright have all said they have no objections to "Vegetable Man" coming out.
Anyone asked Nick ? No, wait, maybe they did already. :lol:
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

J Ed wrote:I believe theyve said those two songs present Syd in a negative light,
Very true. EMI rejected both Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream as too "dark" for release as singles. Hence the recording and subsequent release of Apples and Oranges.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
Very true. EMI rejected both Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream as too "dark" for release as singles. Hence the recording and subsequent release of Apples and Oranges.
Pretty sure that EMI didn't reject those tracks. The band and their managers just decided to go with Apples. They were still recording overdubs for Scream after Apples was released.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Chris Moise wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote: Very true. EMI rejected both Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream as too "dark" for release as singles. Hence the recording and subsequent release of Apples and Oranges.
Pretty sure that EMI didn't reject those tracks. The band and their managers just decided to go with Apples. They were still recording overdubs for Scream after Apples was released.
Yes, they were trying to do a follow up single that would be successful, and I do believe the band and their managers made the decision.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I'm sure you are both correct. It was my understanding that the band and its managers blocked the tracks from being included on A Saucerful of Secrets, but that EMI blocked release of the singles. I probably misunderstood. :?
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

Syd'sSexy wrote:I'm sure you are both correct. It was my understanding that the band and its managers blocked the tracks from being included on A Saucerful of Secrets, but that EMI blocked release of the singles. I probably misunderstood. :?
veg man was finished
all tracks done
mono and stero
nothing is as dark as axe ???
so darkness can't be the reason

i do know that it is ready for release []

maybe the first tracks laid down by syd were faultly
so all the other tracks laid on top were poisoned
and then syd was gone so it became un fixable ???
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

lostplay wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote:I'm sure you are both correct. It was my understanding that the band and its managers blocked the tracks from being included on A Saucerful of Secrets, but that EMI blocked release of the singles. I probably misunderstood. :?
veg man was finished
all tracks done
mono and stero
nothing is as dark as axe ???
so darkness can't be the reason

i do know that it is ready for release []

maybe the first tracks laid down by syd were faultly
so all the other tracks laid on top were poisoned
and then syd was gone so it became un fixable ???

I actually wouldn't be surprised, if it was for the band and the management as well, - look at them now, giving a damn...