9-11-01

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

9-11-01

Post by quicksilver »

A note to my friends on this forum:

We read and contribute to this forum because we have something in common and I think that's wonderful. It's truly amazing that many of us live in different countries and that we can communicate instantly with each other and share our thoughts and views on things. Even if we disagree I still respect your opinion. As I was thinking back to the events of September 11, I think that was the first time that I was truly scared as hell. I wasn't necessary scared that I would die or anything as I don't live in 3 areas which the planes hit, but I was scared that I would lose my freedom and my free will. It's hard to explain really. I have a wife and two young boys and the thought of them growing up fearing for their lives does scare me to death. Freedom cannot be taken for granted and that's probably what I think about the most. The US has not really ever faced a threat like this before. I believe that the average citizen does not realize or care that the reason for this freedom we have is the thousands of lives that were lost fighting for it. Any free soceity owes a great debt to the people who fought for it. It's because of this freedom that I can sit her and type this without goverment intervention etc....etc.

Heroes aren't Rock stars; movie stars, ball players etc.. they're the people who fought for our freedom. They're the passengers that decided to overtake flight 93 before it hit Washington. Once you have a taste of freedom you never want to give it up.

Those planes didn't just hit the US, they hit every freedom loving country; and the people who committed these horrid acts want to take everyones freedom away. I will say a prayer for peace tonight.

Well, I've said all I have to say.......God Bless you all !
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am sure the thoughts of the people of the world are with the American citizens who were killed or touched by the atrocoties of 9/11. May we have the strength to fight to secure our continued civil right to the right of life, freedom of mind, speech and mobility. Certainly a cause worth fighting for.

It amazes me that there are people and nations so worthless that they don't deserve existance in my opinion. :roll: I hope the international community is successful in destroying the evil in Iraq and freeing the people there of persecution. I also hope America, Britain and other countries don't just fight for stable oil prices. Supply side shocks like oil price hikes can seriously distory general economic equilibrium in an economy but the death and destruction of way can cause destruction of the human mind and soul. May we tread carefully on the foreign soil we should be liberating: as well as taking away the threats to our freedoms in our free countries. :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, this is probably just me, but yes i had the minute of silence today, but that minute was not just for America. You see, don't forget the amount of Afgahne civilains killed by America. Although i'm sure it hurt you lot in america badly, just ask yourself this, why did they do it?

Simple, it was because of your crimes against them back in the gulf war. I'm NOT trying to justify what Bin Laden did, i'm meremly just saying that you should think of all the covilians you killed to.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I believe the Gulf war has very little to do with it. The attacks are against freedom and religion. I am a Christian therefore I'm a target. If you're Jewish you're a target. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to their view is a target. Any country can be hit with terrorism it's just that America represents freedom in their eyes. I understand civilians were killed and I don't like it but it's just a fact of war. For the greater good some civilians will be killed, it's impossible not to. Saddam Hussein kills his own people, Bin laden kills his own people. Unless these cowards are wiped out the killing will never end.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

quicksilver wrote:I believe the Gulf war has very little to do with it. The attacks are against freedom and religion. I am a Christian therefore I'm a target. If you're Jewish you're a target. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to their view is a target. Any country can be hit with terrorism it's just that America represents freedom in their eyes. I understand civilians were killed and I don't like it but it's just a fact of war. For the greater good some civilians will be killed, it's impossible not to. Saddam Hussein kills his own people, Bin laden kills his own people. Unless these cowards are wiped out the killing will never end.
I guess the bad news is we have a hard time getting to the true source. Bin Laden is just a start. As would be Arafat or any other leader we consider to be a threat. New leaders and a system which was so hidden we still can't figure it out. For years ahead of time they planned to fly 4 or more airplanes into US targets. We were so unprepared that they pulled most of their plan off, and we still have no specific answer.

Knocking out their money, and making it hard to lay low in free societies is what we are trying to get a handle on now, but it is now easy. And those who want war should remember that every time we have gotten into conflics in the present history, we have only come off as bigger villans in their world.

Good news in my eye is that western world continues to leak into the middle east. As more people realize that being a Muslim does not mean you can't have an advanced society, the more that "old " thinking is eroded. I think this is where we will in time succeed.

This is similar to what is happening in China. Capitolism has leaked in and China can't deny it is being effected. The deny they are a capitolist soceity, but most major compies of the world are monopolising on this growning market. I read where Hyundai has started to make a more upscale car for the Chinese market. This was in response to making a cheap car for every man, and every man wanted a nicer car.
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Hold On A Minute

Post by pinktim »

Statements such as Christians are targets and/or Jews are targets are a little too medieval, and, in fact rather dark age in nature. Those are just the very statements that those on the other side would have their followers believe also.

Rather, none are the targets, but, each wants to enforce their ideas and beliefs on others. The motivation for the terrorists simply put is to commit acts so scary in nature that those they commit them against will not want to certain things and will be afraid enough to want to do as the aggressor wants them to do.

Terrorism is the type of war that a small force and power wages when they cannot meet the enemy face to face. It is much like guerilla warfare.

What happened on September 11, 2001 is somewhat the same as what happens many times elsewhere in the world. The scale is just that much larger.

America has lived its life as if it were an island fortress that has not been invaded in over 200 years. What was proved was that America is not the fortress it would fancy itself to be and it can be struck in such a way that death and destruction may come to feel eminent.

This idea of being a target is the same as saying one is a victim. But, a victim of what? Most of the time a victim of the circumstances that we ourselves could overcome if we wanted to work at it. Instead of veing a victim, I, for one, want only to get on with living. What is done is done. Any of us can weep for those who have suffered and feel the grief of that suffering. But, at some point we all need to get off the dime.