Scream Thy Last Scream

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
tonmo
Embryo
Embryo

Scream Thy Last Scream

Post by tonmo »

In my first (possibly only?) post, I would like to declare October 31st as the International "Scream Thy Last Scream" Appreciation Day.

I have heard two versions of this, one (which I believe was the more accessible one) where there is a chipmunk-like speed-track playing as backup vocals, and another (BBC I believe?) where Syd is much more listless, and sedate... although there are very nice harmonies in that version, Rog's bass is strong, and Syd is playing some classic lead on his telecaster.

I can't remember who it was who astutely described the production value of the "chipmunk" version as a ham-fisted production (along with Apples and Oranges), and it is a shame because it could have been much more successful.

Indeed, if you think about the melody of Scream Thy Last Scream, it is very much like Barrett's signature tune, "Bike". The former is almost a more electric, raw and rock n' roll version of Bike, but both stand on their own in terms of psychedelic quality.

Notice when Syd sings "she'll be scrubbing bubbles on all fours" (in both the chipmunk and the BBC version) his timing is delayed in the context of the rhythm and beat of the song, no doubt purposefully, and if you think about it is quite analogous to the echoed vocal backing track of Bike. (Nick's bouncing lead-in to the next verse is classic.)
No one mastered phonetics like our pal Syd, and his delivery on this song is a strong testament to that.

The Chipmunk version had so much promise -- so much energy and raw youth coming from Syd -- it had all the Syd-era Floyd talents in the fore -- a great mid-song jam, fun and frolicking music and chorus, and very inventive bridges connecting them all. The BBC version was a bit more mature, but a bit sad as you can see that Syd's confidence had already begun to wane. If there were a way to somehow fuse them together, while giving it the production quality it deserved, it truly could have been an unforgettable masterpiece with wide appeal. Instead, its value is limited people like me, and anyone still reading this post!

So I'd like us all to play this wonderful song this Halloween (either version, or better, both) and together we can revel in a true gem from Syd, from 40 years in the past. This Halloween, and every Halloween!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Scream Thy Last Scream

Post by moom »

Nice idea :D But are you, like, authorized to actually declare the day? And how many people know about it?

Besides, stay onboard, man, see we have a lot of fun, seriousness, even conflicts and erm confusion :D

The Master Of Confusion aka The Moonchild aka MoonWise aka Jude Law Scarborough aka moom aka Andrei Kiisler (all my real names, esp the last one)
shergar
Embryo
Embryo

Post by shergar »

This is my current top of the list Syd track and I simply can't get enough of it at the moment. From the opening chord it's pure magic. I hope the lads agree to include it on 2008's 40 year anniverary Sourcerful of Secrets - re-mastered of course.
Not even sure if they will release a 40 year anniversry for their 2nd album. We all know Syds fire had all but gone out by this point. It would add even more value if they included their instrumental piece they done on the Tommorows World broadcast in early '08.
trancended_oysters
Embryo
Embryo

Post by trancended_oysters »

you can find the entire tommorows world instrumental on youtube, just to let you know... from early 68... man syd played some nice mean leads on there.. pretty weird considering he was to be fired within a month or two..
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

are we being told to scream? i cant scream my last scream because i havent screamed my 1st scream because i cant scream
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

They actually might do something like a rerelease. They can do it, they've learned.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

evidently hahaha
tonmo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tonmo »

Thanks for the Tomorrow's World YouTube tip! That was excellent.
But are you, like, authorized to actually declare the day? And how many people know about it?
Just us! I listened to the BBC version on my iPod yesterday as promised.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Duckboy wrote:are we being told to scream? i cant scream my last scream because i havent screamed my 1st scream because i cant scream
Well, are you an old woman with a casket? Because if you aren't, then no; you're not being told to scream.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I love the line "She'll be scrubbing bubbles on all fours". The song really is brilliant, which is a word that gets thrown around too easily. Given the time in which it was made, there really wasn't much of a template for a piece such as this. Way-to-go Syd!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Syd is a genious!!!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

how bout: cream thy last cream?

*gets coat*
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Come again?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

garygreen wrote:Come again?
Exactly.
...dont listen to me...it's monday...nothing's working on monday...including my brain.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It would seem that Bran is quite the budding perv.

I'm impressed. :lol: