US elections

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: US elections

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Regardless of the internal politics in the US, the world outside that country needs an Obama win. The Republican Presidents who have served throughout my lifetime have surrounded themselves with 'hawks' who want to fight the world. I have seen nothing in Romney to make me think he is going to be any different.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

True. But then this is a country that re-elected George W Bush who, in my opinion, was the worst American president for quite a while.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! NO STINKIN' ROMNEY!
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

as a member of the "lame stream media", i'm just glad its over (for now). can we all just get back to posting pics of cute kitties on the internet please? thank you. :)
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

4 for more years for President Obama, I voted for him, because I feel he truly has America's, best interest in his heart. I know Romney would have devastated the middle class, no matter what he said,(who could tell, given the way he flipped and flopped and outright lied.)
I still have hope, but America is divided as ever, if not more so. All Americans need to take responsibility, instead of laying back and enduring the gridlock in Washington. We need to constantly write our Congressmen and Senators, and President Obama. Let them know that they have been elected to do our bidding, not the puppet masters. Let them know what we all want for the future, and tell them to vote that way on the upcoming legislation that is tantamount to America's future. Let them know we elected them and that we can kick their asses out of office if they don't do things our way.
Americans have to find a way to bridge the wide gaps between us. Work together to find common ground to take all the varied interest and compromise for the best results for us all. There is no way that calling for revolution, and taking up arms,(which I've already heard from hard core Tea Party members) is the answer. It makes no sense to tear down an already stressed nation, just to have to build it up again. We are still currently in a hole, but slowly, gradually, making progress. If we can just keep this up we will eventually get back to where we should have been all along.
I'm sorry this post is so long, but it expresses my heart felt beliefs.

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I think Americans should vote you the next president :lol: Though on reflection, what you posted is way too sensible for some of the very odd voters over there.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

LOL, thankyou, even though I know you're just joking. Seriously, I wouldn't have that job if it was given to me. I'm already a broke down old man, that position would kill me for sure.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It really is a tough job but I'm glad Obama got it and not Romney. As to how much he will achieve in the next four years remains to be seen. To my European eyes it is strange to see one person in power but an opposing party having a stranglehold on one of the houses
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

snifferdog wrote:It really is a tough job but I'm glad Obama got it and not Romney. As to how much he will achieve in the next four years remains to be seen. To my European eyes it is strange to see one person in power but an opposing party having a stranglehold on one of the houses
You have a very good understanding of our system of government here.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Creek wrote:4 for more years for President Obama, I voted for him, because I feel he truly has America's, best interest in his heart.
Right...because we ALL know that it's in America's best interests to make sure that the lazy and unproductive enjoy the same quality of life as those who earn it. *rolls eyes*

"Are you better off now than you were four years ago?"

Well...four years ago, I didn't qualify for welfare...*shrug*

I didn't vote. Because if God had meant for us to vote, He's have given us candidates.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

I'm better off now than 4 years ago. I've worked more in the last 4 years than I did in almost all of the 8 years W was President. I definately made more money.
If you think that welfare, foodstamps, and redistribution of wealth is the whole of President Obama's platform, you are mistaken.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't think that, Creek.

I'm well aware that his platform also includes taxing the fuck out of everyone, forcing people to buy a commodity (health insurance) rather than leaving it up to themselves as to whether or not they purchase it...and generally stifling everyone's freedom in the name of "equality."

There is an old story that someone once asked a noted philosopher what the goal of "Egalitarianism" was. The philosopher took them out into a field where crops were growing at different rates and so had reached different heights. The philosopher then took a scythe and swinging it in a circle cut every crop in their immediate vicinity down to the same height and said "THAT is the goal of Egalitarianism."

Or...to put it more succinctly:

"So the maples formed a union and demanded equal rights
"The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light."
Now, there's no more oak oppression, for they passed a "noble" law
And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw"--Neil Peart

I find it disturbingly hypocritical that those who claim that it's wrong to hold one group of people down in order that another can advance want to hold down one group of people so that another can advance.

People.

Can't live with them, can't shoot them. *shrug*
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah, everybody knows that the road for a better society is to let the rich become richier and the poor poorer. Everything is shiny and jolly then, just ask Louis XVI. In fact, we should all help the rich a little and give them some tax cuts so we can get there faster. And everybody also knows that we are all born with equal opportunities, and the only reason why people are poor is because they are just fucking lazy :roll:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think it stands to reason that if you remove the means for the rich to become richer, then you also remove the means for the poor to ever become rich.

So what if everyone isn't BORN with the same opportunities? Opportunities are MADE, as well.

If you want to defend the people who are born poor by saying that it's not their fault they're poor...well, then you also have to admit that it's not the fault of those who are born rich that they are born rich.

It goes both ways, you know.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

mosespa wrote:I think it stands to reason that if you remove the means for the rich to become richer, then you also remove the means for the poor to ever become rich.
Who's talking about removing any means? Redistribution of wealth doesn't kill any jobs. It's companies taking their business out to another country, where they can exploit workers a lot more, what kills the jobs for any nation. Are you also pro Wall Street bonuses for high executives to encourage their excellent job done? Do you believe that the more a capitalist earns for private use and the less he pays to his workers then the better a society is? Taxation doesn't kill jobs, is pure greediness what really does it.
mosespa wrote:So what if everyone isn't BORN with the same opportunities? Opportunities are MADE, as well.
And the rich have a much harder time making those opportunities than the poor, that's why the goverment should be easy on them...
mosespa wrote:If you want to defend the people who are born poor by saying that it's not their fault they're poor...well, then you also have to admit that it's not the fault of those who are born rich that they are born rich.
It's nobody fault, I'm just talking about how the goverment can help in creating a better society for us all, rich and poor and middle class. It's the common interest for any country to reduce the poverty and raise the level of life of all their citizens, not just of one segment of it. Free market is not going to do it alone, quite the opposite it tends to increase the gap between rich and poor, creating a lot of social and enviromental problems in the process. And once the deck has been unbalanced it only gets more and more unbalanced with time, and the crappier the game gets for everybody else. That's what goverments are made for, to make things better for all of their citizens, otherwise we could as well live under the rule of a feudal lord or king, or better yet keep throwing stones and sticks at each other and have no goverment at all.

Is this the kind of society you would like to live in?