Aphex Twin

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Aphex Twin

Post by apocalypse »

Any fans here?
I have to say that his work is fantastic! I love the use of prepared piano on drukqs, very Stockhausen. Of course the Windolicker and Come to Daddy releases go down quite well but I also like his early stuff, the two Selected Ambient Works albums.
He played Ireland this year, I was disappointed I couldn't make it.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Aphex Twin

Post by PublicImage »

I approve of Aphex Twin.

His early work has always been my favourite (especially SAW Vol. II), but his drill'n'bass and more recent albums have their moments of greatness, too. The Analord series released as AFX was by far the most interesting thing he has done in a while (I suppose that is because he released nothing at all for five years between that and drukqs), but you have to cut through quite a bit of crap (MIDIeval Rave? Terrible idea, terribly executed) to hear the really good tracks. I wish he would stop pissing about with pseudonyms like The Tuss (whether or not that is him is still unconfirmed, but it sounds a hell of a lot like him to me and there are more than enough reasons to think it is) and put out a real album.

The Polygon Window album is also worth hearing if you like his 'I Care Because You Do' era. I think it's better than that Aphex album, but they are not too distant stylistically.

If you like Aphex Twin, you should listen to more of the old Warp Records LPs. Their more recent signings are all a bit more rock-based than what they are known for, but there is still a lot of great music coming from the label. 'Incunabula' by Autechre is essential listening if you're into SAW '85-'92. You should also have a listen to Venetian Snares if you like the classically influenced aspects of drukqs and the drill'n'bass beats on that album and Come To Daddy. I think 'Rossz Csillag Allat Született' is better than anything Aphex Twin has ever released, but that's just me.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

I listened to that Venetian Snares track. Sounds great. I'm gonna be checking out more of his stuff. Cheers man!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

For fans of the first Selected Ambient Works album:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_P5S1Hb6I

I find the style to be very similar on this track (and the rest of the album), but I think Autechre sound a bit more interesting. Aphex's later work destroys what I've heard of their later work, though, so they are even.
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

I got a copy of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született and have been listening to it solid for over a week now. Brilliant. What would you reccoment I get next from the discography?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'm not too sure. None of his other albums (from the ones that I've heard) are anywhere near as melodic as that one, but I like Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole.

Edit: From what I've read, 'My Downfall' is the closest in style to Rossz. It definitely seems like the next album to try because it is based around classical sounds.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ld0iHQwrzj0
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

Major bump from 2008, but he's one of my favourite artists along with the Floyd. He came back to life as Aphex Twin when he released Syro in 2014 and started releasing loads of his unreleased stuff in Soundcloud. A few more EPs have been released since then, the most recent being Collapse which is a really nice listen. Have been fortunate to catch him live a few times now and he puts on a nice audio visual show, I'd say his lasers would be as good as the Gilmour Floyd era if not better. I'd say Richard Wright may have probably heard of him with his collection of analog synthesisers and keyboards and how he rebuilt some of them to suit his own interests.

From Rockness Festival in Scotland 2010, my first Aphex Twin gig.
twin-11.jpg
And my favourite crossover logo of Floyd's Dark Side and the Aphex Twin logo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I've always been down to clown with Aphex Twin. Some of his stuff is a little too abrasive for my taste, but his Selected Ambient Works albums are fascinating works, and Drukqs is fascinating, if a little long. My favourite of his work is still probably the "Windowlicker" CD single though.
daemonspudguy
Embryo
Embryo
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

I love Aphex Twin! He has an interesting style and I've not heard anything else quite like it.
Last edited by daemonspudguy on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

a genius. My favorite electronic musician together with tangerine dream, entheogenic, hinkstep and klaus schulze
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

A bit of a bump here but he's still making good music, this has a bit of the Welcome to the Machine vibe in bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsPlN6nB7e8