Things you love

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Things you love

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

rosm wrote:
Wouldn't make sense to divide that in 5/8 ;-)
Doesn't matter, Mr. Winkly Dinks. You could still write it in 5/8. Just like you could write 2 bars of 2/4 as 1 bar of 4/4.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Fucking math rockers.

It's a wonder any music actually gets performed. haha....

Structured Improvisation is where it's at! After you have practiced/studied hard for a few years, of course. I would never force another player into prolonged, rigid syncopation night after night. I'd hate to cut off all of their instincts. Spontaneity is crucial for music to breathe.
In my world you can count it however you want- just get it right.
Does it really matter if a piece is in 9/8 or if it's subdivided into one measure of 5/4 and one measure of 4/4 when you're playing a 2 chord improv? Not to me.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Idisaffect wrote: Does it really matter if a piece is in 9/8 or if it's subdivided into one measure of 5/4 and one measure of 4/4...
9/8 doesn't subdivide into 5/4...oh wait I get your point!

I rarely count when I perform, especially when using rubato...also I never really play the exact same notes with every single performance. The only notes I play the same every time are notes that are essential to the melody of the song. I don't enjoy playing exactly what's on the sheet. I use sheet music as a "blueprint" for a song, allowing myself to complete the rest. I think it takes more talent for a musician to add their own spin on a piece than to play exactly what's on the page.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Well, there's something to be said for playing a nicely written and/or complex piece note for note. And sight reading? I don't have the discipline for that but it would be an awesome thing to be able to do.
The Gunner's Dream wrote:9/8 doesn't subdivide into 5/4...oh wait I get your point!
Well, good. Subdivide was not the right word. Also, I should have written 'Bar' instead of 'Measure'. haha. Is there a difference? Anyway, technically, I guess I was actually describing 9/4 not 9/8.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

No, there really isn't a difference between "measure" and "bar". Bar usually refers to the actual bar lines that separate each measure, so it doesn't really matter which term you use, although it seems that "measure" is more commonly used in the US and "bar" is commonly used in Britain and Europe.

As far as playing a song note for note...well, any machine or midi-device can do that. Sure it requires discipline, but discipline can only get you so far. The individual musician's interpretation of a piece is by far more important. My advice would be to learn a song note for note. Then, after familiarizing yourself with the material, begin to take liberties with the music, including dynamic changes, tempo rubato, cadenzas, etc. In the Romantic era, it was often expected of very good pianists to add trills, harmonies, and the like.
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:No, there really isn't a difference between "measure" and "bar". Bar usually refers to the actual bar lines that separate each measure, so it doesn't really matter which term you use, although it seems that "measure" is more commonly used in the US and "bar" is commonly used in Britain and Europe.

As far as playing a song note for note...well, any machine or midi-device can do that. Sure it requires discipline, but discipline can only get you so far. The individual musician's interpretation of a piece is by far more important. My advice would be to learn a song note for note. Then, after familiarizing yourself with the material, begin to take liberties with the music, including dynamic changes, tempo rubato, cadenzas, etc. In the Romantic era, it was often expected of very good pianists to add trills, harmonies, and the like.
I live in Tennessee and actually it depends who I'm playing music with whether we call it a measure or a bar. I do know a lot of people who use that old saying "just fake 32 bars".

I couldn't agree more, every time I've played in a band or just at an impromptu jam, we have always put our stamp on a cover tune with very few exceptions. There are a few songs that have that certain feel, that's something I just don't mess with. That type of song deserves to be played note for note.

Now on a completely different subject, but with in the subject of the thread:

Ah, things I love... Today it happens to be a rainy day every now and then. Beyond the obvious benefits of rain for the earth. It means a day off that I basically do what I want to do. Today it's catching up on my reading, playing some guitar and keyboard, listening to some of my favorite music. But first I have a faucet to install. I've got other chores that I need to do around here but with it raining I can't do those .
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Creek wrote:catching up on my reading
Lucky you. Reading is one of my favourite pastimes, but I can't seem to find time for it lately. I've been reading Rushdie's "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" for over a month now, and I think I'm still not over 600 pages. It's not the first time I've been reading it, so the slowness of reading amazes me even more.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Coffee
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Speaking of which, I used to be a coffee maniac, I used to drink four or five cups a day, but now I can't think of when I last had more than one cup. There are days I don't even remember to make myself one. :?
boo
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by boo »

the electric violin i heard last night playing some killer blues....
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Hudini wrote:Speaking of which, I used to be a coffee maniac, I used to drink four or five cups a day, but now I can't think of when I last had more than one cup. There are days I don't even remember to make myself one. :?
Maybee becouse you've quit smoking Mićo.

I use to drink that gawd awful nescafe in the morning and since I dont eat breakfast my stomach was processing it in pain every time.
Now I'm strictly on earl grey and I'm trying to reduce the intake of any sort of coffee.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Damn!t wrote:Maybee becouse you've quit smoking Mićo.
Might bee. But even when I do have a cup of coffee (I still love the taste of it), it doesn't make me want a cigarette, and it didn't make me want one even when I was still in the process of quitting. That part was unbelievably easy!
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

Pear Drops
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

stuff money can't buy like a sunny day, and a smile from a young child.
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

princessDungan74D wrote:stuff money can't buy like a sunny day, and a smile from a young child.
That's sweet. :) I bet, though, you'd love to get a free Diet Dr. Pepper soda can from me, or even a full 6-pack of the soda. :oops: <ii>