Pink Floyd- Soundtrack from the Film More

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
15%
37%
29%
14%
1 - Worst
5%

Total votes: 86

jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd- Soundtrack from the Film More

Post by jtull »

I think you're right Wolf. I listened to the film version few times, and I agree it must be Gilmour. It's just alternate vocals he uses.
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

I've never seen the film, is there a good place to watch it in its entirety online? I feel like hunting down a physical copy would be more work than it's worth, and I'm curious as to how the songs work in context. I also haven't heard the unreleased tracks either, like "Seabirds".
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I wish they would release a 'complete' version of More, with the original recordings of Seabirds and Hollywood included, without all the movie dialogue. And any other music that might have been recorded for those sessions that we haven't heard about. That would be a dream come true for me. Sadly, since they haven't done it by this point, they probably won't. I will probably have to be content with the superb remaster of the original album that came out in 2011. At least they put a good effort into that, because it really improved the album, got rid of the muddy sound and really brought it to life. :) But no Seabirds or Hollywood. :(
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I wish they would release a 'complete' version of More, with the original recordings of Seabirds and Hollywood included, without all the movie dialogue. And any other music that might have been recorded for those sessions that we haven't heard about. That would be a dream come true for me. Sadly, since they haven't done it by this point, they probably won't. I will probably have to be content with the superb remaster of the original album that came out in 2011. At least they put a good effort into that, because it really improved the album, got rid of the muddy sound and really brought it to life. :) But no Seabirds or Hollywood. :(
Are there any high quality recordings of those songs out there?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

None that I'm aware of. The only versions out there are taken directly from the movie and have dialogue going on throughout them, as they play in the background.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

Both songs are very much part of The Early Years box set. So, guess the answer was there all along.

But where should they be placed? In the album proper, I mean?
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

If the album is meant to be the music that the characters were listening to in the film, then does this make More a concept album? And if so, was it PF''s first concept album?

The Man and the Journey, which has a concept albeit it's not an album, followed soon after.

Just wondering about this.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

^^^
Interesting thinking, but I don't believe More is a concept album at any level. I remember a one interview by Roger and David talking about a collaboration with Barbet Schroeder. They said by the time they arrived to meet BS, the film was already completely finished. Everything was done, except the music. BS gave them completely free hands, and told them to make a music for some scenes they liked the best.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Annoying Twit wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 pm If the album is meant to be the music that the characters were listening to in the film, then does this make More a concept album? And if so, was it PF''s first concept album?

The Man and the Journey, which has a concept albeit it's not an album, followed soon after.

Just wondering about this.
Music in a film that the characters can hear is called "source music", as opposed to "incidental music", which only the audience can hear. Many filmmakers have experimented with using source music exclusively, in place of a film score, and Schroeder a big fan of that at the time, though he had moved on by the time they did La Vallée. Source music is generally considered to be part of the film's narrative, but that doesn't make More a concept album, since it doesn't contain any of the narrative, and it's only one aspect of a bigger work.

Yes, The Man and The Journey would have been their first concept album had they released it as a double live album, which would have been a much easier task than Ummagumma. The live tracks on that were recorded during The Man and The Journey tour, but they were included to "retire" those songs - which they didn't do...but then they couldn't release the full show because of the overlap. They then went into the Zabriskie Point sessions expecting to come out with another full album, which also didn't happen. They got a lot done in 1969, just not any of the stuff they had planned. All of their albums had made the top 10 in the UK, but it wasn't until Atom Heart Mother hit #1 that they could actually do whatever they wanted.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Duncan and I are joined by special hmguest Austin Taft to discuss some forgotten Pink Floyd

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6JI1Xs ... zmYRBG3xIQ

https://anchor.fm/dmapodcast
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

nowadays this has become one of my favorite albums, so I raise my 4 to a 4.8 -> 5.
really experimental, creative, and, IMO, well succeeded in all approaches the band tried to cover.
Rick and Nick shine a lot in this album!

also, Main Theme is pure musical genius.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

WOO! What an album!
5th on my list of favourites (behind TDB, The Wall, TFC, WYWH) and is just brilliant. I love it.
Every second.
Green Is The Colour is the highlight for me, a beautiful acoustic song with some great flute and brilliant vocals.
Just amazing.
9.5/10