Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
78%
16%
4%
1%
1 - Worst
2%

Total votes: 159

Sinking Sun
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Post by Sinking Sun »

Had to give it a 4 merely because of On the Run. Never liked that song, and I doubt I ever will. The earlier live versions where it was essentially a guitar jam is infinitely superior to the album version.
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

I'm sort of on the shelf. Money lets the album down and there only seems to be four songs in all.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Nicholas wrote:I'm sort of on the shelf. Money lets the album down and there only seems to be four songs in all.
I agree. Money sounds a bit stale. Also I dislike GGitS, mainly because of Claire Torry's idiotic shrieking.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

so since its release how manys times has it been re-released on cd and vinyl as well as on live releases
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

rememberaday wrote:
Nicholas wrote:I'm sort of on the shelf. Money lets the album down and there only seems to be four songs in all.
I agree. Money sounds a bit stale. Also I dislike GGitS, mainly because of Claire Torry's idiotic shrieking.
Yeah, Money is probably my least favorite song on the album. But, GGitS, I really love!! Especially Claire Torry's "idiotic shrieking"!!! Brilliant. What nerve!! You are lucky rememberaday, as the 1972 mix version on the Immersion box does not have the "idiotic shrieking".
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Money is so different in tone compared to the rest of the album that it takes me right out of the headspace I'm in when listening to it. It really ruins the album for me. I love GGITS though. I hear the all the agony and the ecstasy of life and death in Clare Torry's vocals on that piece. What a brilliant performance!
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

'Money' was the track which was used to sell 'Dark Side of the Moon' to the American audience, and the strategy was successful beyond everyone's wildest dreams. Personally I like it - great bass line and sax, some good guitar passages, and, lyrics which stood the test of time.
Runkeldunk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Runkeldunk »

!S

Dsotm grows everytime I listen to it. It keeps getting better towards awesome (40million+ Can't be wrong) It still isn't my favorite album. Money I'm sick and tired of it. The lyrics on Time is to me some of the finest words ever sung, Braindamage is a favorite song of mine while GGITH gives me goosebums. On the run sounds awesome when you listen to it in 5.1. I am so fortunate that i can listen to the sacd..

Runkel
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It was the last album I listened to this evening. Haven't listened to it for a long time so is always a treat. 8)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Sinking Sun wrote:Had to give it a 4 merely because of On the Run. Never liked that song, and I doubt I ever will. The earlier live versions where it was essentially a guitar jam is infinitely more generic than the final album version.
Fixed! "On The Run" is one of my favourite moments in DSoTM. It's kinda like Floyd's own "Revolution #9", but more catchy and concise. That song is a total trip, and hearing the updated surround sound version, with the train and stuff, during one of Waters 2007 DSoTM gigs was magnificent!!
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

A bit throw away, but I just thought I would share this with you anyway. It was a nice fine day today so I decided to trim the hedge at the front of the house (while wearing my DSOTM shirt which my daughter bought me for Christmas - still looking very crisp). A guy came up to me, probably late 20s, and studs all over his face saying "Hey man! we're wearing the same shirt!, but yours looks a bit new compared to mine" (His did look a bit battered). Then "Hey man! Look at this!" whereupon he whipped his shirt off and turned round......he'd got the prism tattooed on his back. <.8.>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Seems the Floyd have some diverse fans! :D
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Bigmanpigman wrote:...A guy came up to me, probably late 20s, and studs all over his face saying "Hey man! we're wearing the same shirt!, but yours looks a bit new compared to mine" (His did look a bit battered). Then "Hey man! Look at this!" whereupon he whipped his shirt off and turned round......he'd got the prism tattooed on his back. <.8.>

Oooooh bummer! For a moment I got excited and thought he was going to have that Mount Rushmore tatoo, with the heads of the four Floyds carved on the rocks and Syd's ghost shinning in the sky! :lol:
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

One of their best, even thou I like Animals and Wish You Were Here better. But yeah, a 5 from me. All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

This one grew slowly on me, probably a lot to do with the stuff i was listening to it on. Laugh if you like, but at 15 I just had a very old small tape deck with a single speaker, and one of them record decks with a tall spindle, you know the ones where you could stack records up on and they would drop the next record down as soon as the other finished? Yeh those. Amazingly I still have that vinyl copy and there aren't any huge scratches or bumps on it! Anyway, hi fidelity it wasn't. 15 year old rock fan me thought "where are all the riffs?" and was more blown away by The Wall.
It was a few years before I got a decent stereo and got to hear it in its full glorious range and definition and spacing, and discovered all sorts of hidden subtleties. Then I got it!
Even on that unbelievably crappy deck, the solo in Time shone through like a beacon.