Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
27%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 168

Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by Peter Beasley »

I wonder why they did a 'cut and paste' job on 'Dogs'? The section from 03.43-04.48 duplicated 14.11-15.16.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Peter Beasley wrote:I wonder why they did a 'cut and paste' job on 'Dogs'? The section from 03.43-04.48 duplicated 14.11-15.16.
Is it? HOw do you know?
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

Flying pig437 wrote:Is it? HOw do you know?
Both sections are identical.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Dick Parry's pet animal

Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Peter Beasley wrote:
Flying pig437 wrote:Is it? HOw do you know?
Both sections are identical.
Can't that be because they're the same section of music played twice in exactly the same way?
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

Flying pig437 wrote:Can't that be because they're the same section of music played twice in exactly the same way?
An uncanny achievement if each of the four members did perform their parts EXACTLY the same way the second time around. Every bass and drum infill, guitar overdub, electric piano and string synth nuance is identical. It's clearly a splice job.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Peter Beasley wrote:
Flying pig437 wrote:Can't that be because they're the same section of music played twice in exactly the same way?
An uncanny achievement if each of the four members did perform their parts EXACTLY the same way the second time around. Every bass and drum infill, guitar overdub, electric piano and string synth nuance is identical. It's clearly a splice job.
O.k. You're proably right. Just never thought about it before. Worth the effort though.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

The idea of the part of Dogs that is copied and pasted always did strike me as interesting. I have always pictured it as a studio version of what they did live in some of their early, heavily improvised shows.

"Bloody hell! We've still got 1:05 to fill up on this album! F*ck it! Slap that bit of Dogs we liked a lot right onto the end of the song. Just slap another dub of that part somewhere where it sounds cool and not contrived. We don't want to sound too commercial like we did on DSOTM! When Bruno Mars comes along in another 30 years he's gonna be jealous as f*ck!" :lol:
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

:lol:
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

pastchristmas wrote:The idea of the part of Dogs that is copied and pasted always did strike me as interesting. I have always pictured it as a studio version of what they did live in some of their early, heavily improvised shows.
Well it was 'Gotta be Crazy' for two years before they recorded it as 'Dogs' in '76, and they'd played it live many times before they went into Britannia Row. Maybe when they were recording it, someone suggested "You know that guitar solo that's repeated near the end? We don't have to play the whole section again, we can just do a splice job".
Jack Wolf
Axe
Axe

Post by Jack Wolf »

I had brushed this album off the first time I listened to segments of some of the songs.
I ended up buying the 'Oh By The Way' box set and eventually gave the album a full listen and now it's one of my favorites just behind 'The Wall'. This album is a unique masterpiece, there is nothing else quite like it.
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

Can't help wondering how 'Animals' would've sounded had it been recorded at Abbey Road.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I posted on You Tube how I wasn't 100% over this record. That was horrible internet mistake number 1!

I forgot how mental You Tube users were. The best I got was someone quoting "Your nearly a laugh but your really a cry" at me. (Ouch! That hurt... I'll never put forward my opinion again if it makes some twat quote Roger Waters lyrics at me!)
And another one commented "It's about that bitch THATCHER!" to my complaint about Roger having a go at "Bus stop rat bag".
Thatcher was around in '77, but was she really that high up?

My opinion has revised a bit, but "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" will always be, for me, the lowest of the Waters-era Floyd.
Seriously, you couldn't pay me enough to listen to that song again.

*Posts, but has horrible feeling I've already said this on the thread....
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:And another one commented "It's about that bitch THATCHER!" to my complaint about Roger having a go at "Bus stop rat bag".
Thatcher was around in '77, but was she really that high up?
Nope, it was about Mary Whitehouse, a famous moralist of the time. It is a widely known fact.

At the time the album was recorded, Maggie Thatcher was apparently taking a turn in the opposition between her two Government turns. At the time, she was hardly a good target for political criticism by anyone, let alone Roger Waters.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" will always be, for me, the lowest of the Waters-era Floyd.
You like Grand Vizier's Garden Party more than Pigs?