Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
26%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 167

Mother
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by Mother »

mastaflatch wrote: excuse my phrasing.
i meant that when you listen to Pompeii, what you see and hear is a band that's hungry, determined to bring the house down while on DSOTM and WYWH, the playing is really tame, it's like it's not even the same drummer. i feel that Animals was a relatively quick album to record on which they didn't chew over every tom tom hit or every hammond note, probably because Sheep and Dogs were well-rehearsed live for some time. Pink Floyd sounds livelier and healthier as a band on Animals than it did since Pompeii or OBC or from The Wall onwards in my humble opinion. anyway, that's why i like it.
Pompeii sent me to sleep.
I don't find the playing on DSotM or WYWH tame at all, I find it magnificent.
Animals is more attack.
A different album altogether.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Mother wrote:Pompeii sent me to sleep.
While it doesn't send me to sleep, it really seems quite overrated to me. IMO, it's one of those example of "more bark than bite."
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

rememberaday wrote:
Mother wrote:Pompeii sent me to sleep.
While it doesn't send me to sleep, it really seems quite overrated to me. IMO, it's one of those example of "more bark than bite."
well, Echoes and ASOS make up for the rest. CWTAE ain't badly executed either.

as far as being sent to sleep with Pompeii, based on this, TDB must make you clinically dead :lol:
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

And the Piper-Animals era brings me back to life, mastahamsta! :D
KidCharlemagne1962
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KidCharlemagne1962 »

I think this album is oftem maligned. I love this album and for me, it is a toss up for their best with Wish You Were Here. I picked up when it came out and was so glad it lived up the their last releases.

The theme is admittedly dark, harsh and failry pessimistic. The main hope lyrically comes from being sandwiched with Pigs on the Wing I and II.

Dogs -Is accurateley descriptive of corporate culture and how people get lost in their jobs. I've seen people make decisions that ruin peoples lives and justify it with the bottom line. While I understand that a business does not exist for altruistic reasons, one should temper profit with what is right.

Pigs (Three Different Ones) - does a great job with the the people in control of society and materialism in general. Being from the US I always mistaken thought the Whitehouse line was about the US government (pre-internet days so I had no idea who Mary Whitehous was).

Sheep - People love to follow and move in herds, it has caused a lot of suffering. I like the progression from listless follwer to realization and taking control (either back or for the first time).
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

mastaflatch wrote:
danielcaux wrote:The band does sound like a more direct and less perfectionist/neurotic version of itself, you could even call it a "punkier" take on the Floyd sound. But we don't know much about the recording process of Animals, do we? Was it a no-nonsense straight ahead process like Obscured By Clouds?
I remember reading an interview with Nick Mason promoting AMLOR and when asked about his favorite Floyd albums he replied "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "Animals" because they were recorded quickly.

I don't believe the recording of animals was a quick process. I thought i read somewhere that it consumed about 8 months of 1976/77 to get it completed.
Its still my favourite pf album after 3 decades of listening......
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

mosespa wrote:I'm pretty fond of that gay album, myself.

Anyone who would suggest that Obscured By Clouds sucks needs to have their PF Fan Club membership card pulled, imo.

It's like suggesting that Revolver by The Beatles is garbage, imo.
+1

Childhoods End is my favourite PF track from any era. Time borrows lyrics from it, have a cigar the guitar rythym/intro. Its genius IMO and DG's best effort.
Scottish Meddle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Scottish Meddle »

Does anyone know if guitarist Snowy White recorded Animals tracks or only played alive? 8-[
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Scottish Meddle wrote:Does anyone know if guitarist Snowy White recorded Animals tracks or only played alive? 8-[
First of all - welcome :)

Actually, there is a studio version of Pigs On The Wing that is not split in two parts and contains a solo in the middle that Snowy played. You can find that version on the 8-track issue of the album... and on YouTube 8). As for live shows, I think he played it, too. Here you go, with the studio version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emn4t1syDQ0

The video info says the following:

"Pigs on the Wing (Roger Waters) Parts 1 & 2
Recorded at Britannia Row Studios, London, November 1976
Released 23 January 1977 (UK)
February 2, 1977 (US)
3:25 (8-track version)
Label: Harvest / Capitol
Writer: Roger Waters
Produced by Pink Floyd
Roger Waters — music, lyrics, acoustic guitar, vocals
Snowy White — guitar solo (8-track version only)
Richard Wright — Hammond organ (8-track version only)

"Pigs on the Wing" is a two-part song by the progressive rock band Pink Floyd from their 1977 concept album, Animals, starting and wrapping up the album. The song is divided into two parts, which are the first and last tracks of the album.
According to Nick Mason, and confirmed by Waters, it is a love song directed towards Waters' new wife at the time, Carolyn. She was really the only one Roger's friends had ever met who could hold her own in an argument with him; according to Mason you had to be very good with semantics to win an argument against him. Waters wrote the song because that's all he had been looking for all along: someone who could stand up to him, an equal.
The songs are constructed simply and feature no instrumentation besides a strummed acoustic guitar played by Waters.
On the 8-track cartridge release, the song order was changed, and Parts 1 and 2 were played back-to-back at the beginning of the album. They were linked by a guitar bridge performed by Snowy White, with Richard Wright on organ. Snowy would play the guitar solo in live performances on the 1977 Animals tour.

Snowy White (born March 1948) is an English guitarist, known for having played with Thin Lizzy and with Pink Floyd as a back-up player; he was first invited to tour with the band through Europe and the United States, in 1977, and during The Wall shows in 1980.
White grew up on the Isle of Wight, completely self-taught as a guitarist. In 1968 he purchased his signature guitar, the Gibson Les Paul Goldtop.
White had been recommended to Pink Floyd by Kate Bush's former manager Hilary Walker, as they were looking for an additional guitarist for the live band on the Animals tour in 1977. White's solo on "Pigs On The Wing", (it appears only on the 8-track version), was his first time playing for the band. During the tour, White started off the show himself by playing bass on the song "Sheep", as well as soloing during "Have a Cigar" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part VIII".
The 8 Track Tape version of "Pigs On The Wing" (including the instrumental bridge) was released on Snowy White's "Goldtop" album in 1995."
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

moom wrote: The 8 Track Tape version of "Pigs On The Wing" (including the instrumental bridge) was released on Snowy White's "Goldtop" album in 1995."
The version on Goldtop was re engineered to enhance the solo
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Sorry, that was what the network offers. Tough most of the info I know, of course.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

moom wrote:Sorry, that was what the network offers. Tough most of the info I know, of course.
Hey no criticism just thought you'd like to know the bridge section was enhanced on Goldtop to make it stand out
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

No offense taken :)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

drafsack wrote:The version on Goldtop was re engineered to enhance the solo
Yeah and totally ruins the song, is far better to search for a good 8 track transfer in the dark corners of the web...
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

hi,

i was wondering if we knew for sure who was the 2nd verse of Pigs (3 different ones) about. a lot of people posted links that suggested that it was about Thatcher, even pretending that Waters himself confirmed this in various interviews. i'm quite skeptical even if it's a possibility. so...?