Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
26%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 167

Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by Yucateco »

Maybe the live running order was how the wanted it to be in the first place, but couldn’t do it because of the limited running time of a record side. The already opened with Raving and Drooling in 75.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

I think it comes down to the pig. The big prop. It's a climax. The grand finale of the first set.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Maybe Rog wanted to let the audience know right at the start that they were just a bunch of sheep. :lol:
Well, didn’t he soon start creating a vision to build the wall between the band and the audience? :D
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 amWell, didn’t he soon start creating a vision to build the wall between the band and the audience?
Ezrin has said that Waters showed him his sketch of the wall being built while they were in a limo driving through Hamilton, Ontario on their way to the final gig of the In the Flesh tour - in Montreal, the site of the infamous spitting incident. But if they played in NYC on July 4th, and Montreal on July 6th, why would they drive all the way around Lake Ontario when they could just drive North in half the time?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

As early as in the middle of 1975, Roger began to create a vision of building a barrier between the band and a audience.

Roger Waters speaking after a show in Toronto on June 28, 1975:

''I found it all very unpleasant, un-nerving and uppseting '. During the tour Roger had an idea of building a wall across the stage, 'people can each other that there is no wall ...... between performer and audience, so I thought it would be good to build one out of black polystyrene or something '. However he didn’t follow through on the idea'.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:27 am
Ezrin has said that Waters showed him his sketch of the wall being built while they were in a limo driving through Hamilton, Ontario on their way to the final gig of the In the Flesh tour - in Montreal, the site of the infamous spitting incident. But if they played in NYC on July 4th, and Montreal on July 6th, why would they drive all the way around Lake Ontario when they could just drive North in half the time?
They wanted to see Niagara Falls?
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Excellent summary of the Animals tour

https://youtu.be/i05XNORlFM4
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

FreeFour wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm Excellent summary of the Animals tour

https://youtu.be/i05XNORlFM4
I watched this earlier and should have posted. I had no idea Rick left for a bit. And hearing more of the tour, it just seemed a really unpleasant jaunt for the band. I'm surprised we even got another album out of it.
Pink Floyd with Waters as we know it died on that last American tour is my current take after watching the video.

EDIT: To back up argument in last sentence I watched this 2016 video. Imagine being on the road with that?!

https://youtu.be/Hh5i_1Bi1YM
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:19 pm Pink Floyd with Waters as we know it died on that last American tour is my current take after watching the video
Firecrackers destroyed pink floyd. By extension, American independence (via Canada?) destroyed pink floyd.

Slightly ironic when you consider the crashing planes and the pig that exploded etc.

"For fuck's sake" - Roger Waters
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Kerry King wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:43 am
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:19 pm Pink Floyd with Waters as we know it died on that last American tour is my current take after watching the video
Firecrackers destroyed pink floyd. By extension, American independence (via Canada?) destroyed pink floyd.

Slightly ironic when you consider the crashing planes and the pig that exploded etc.

"For fuck's sake" - Roger Waters
:lol: and it seemed firecrackers had been phased out as allowed in stadiums by 1987? Or did the amplification just get louder?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

It's rather strange for a band which once got a lifetime ban(repealed later) from 'Royal Albert Hall' for using a huge pink smoke bomb, to be so much upset due to some firecrackers. Or that same band, Pink Floyd, which live shows once even featured a crew member dressed as a gorilla roaming the audience.

It sounds to me more like as the band could have a fun when they want, but a audience not! Never! Get a audience up against the wall! :twisted:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

https://youtu.be/IBsGUGnuf7I

Following on from the past two Vinyl Review videos here's Top Ten Things You Probably Didn't Know About Animals!
Oh sorry, Ten Fun Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Animals.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I didn't know about the French 'record store' display item -
French.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Gerald Scarfe's drawings were new to me, I didn't know anything about it. Frankly, a drawings looks quite disturbing. No wonder they never used it.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

4. Not enough "spaciness" in the music. Dogs is one of my favorites, and some of David's finest recorded guitar soloing IMO, the rest of the tracks I can take or leave. I never cared for the album cover, although I do think it works in relation to the music, so I understand why it was used.