Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
21%
35%
18%
18%
1 - Worst
8%

Total votes: 133

rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Post by rememberaday »

mastaflatch wrote: true. but that doesn't make the redundancies any better. evolving along your own style is one thing, recycling good ideas to put them in a much less imaginative context is another.
But it is easier and most of the time goes either unnoticed or people simply don't care - and life goes on. 8)
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

the floyd catalogue is replete with re-used ideas both lyrically and musically, including holy grails like dark side, wywh and the king of recycling, animals. though i love 'both' versions of dogs/you gotta be crazy, sheep/raving and drooling. recycling was freely admitted to by the band members whats more. why would tdb be any different?, i would expect PF to continue to revisit, recycle and re-use, just because RW wasn't involved doesnt mean too much to me.
like all floyd albums, it contains some tracks less appealing to me, but i'm sure some people would disagree. eg i think high hopes is pretentious and 'over' imaged, whereas I really enjoy lost for words, poles apart and take it back.
my two cents..... \:D/
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

ricky66 wrote:the floyd catalogue is replete with re-used ideas both lyrically and musically, including holy grails like dark side, wywh and the king of recycling, animals. though i love 'both' versions of dogs/you gotta be crazy, sheep/raving and drooling. recycling was freely admitted to by the band members whats more. why would tdb be any different?, i would expect PF to continue to revisit, recycle and re-use, just because RW wasn't involved doesnt mean too much to me.
i didn't mind either when TDB came out. i mean, some recylcing is awesome (the ending of SOYCD comes to mind) but most of the time i think it's just laziness induced. it's just too easy. self-celebration is pretty different and later-days PF and post 2000 Roger did this to the point of feeding me up with their lack of creativity.
and, while i get where you're going to with your "king of recycling" AKA Animals, i wouldn't even call this "recycling". they've been road-testing Sheep and Dogs for a while and then they recorded it.
ricky66
Axe
Axe

Post by ricky66 »

mastaflatch wrote:
ricky66 wrote:the floyd catalogue is replete with re-used ideas both lyrically and musically, including holy grails like dark side, wywh and the king of recycling, animals. though i love 'both' versions of dogs/you gotta be crazy, sheep/raving and drooling. recycling was freely admitted to by the band members whats more. why would tdb be any different?, i would expect PF to continue to revisit, recycle and re-use, just because RW wasn't involved doesnt mean too much to me.
i didn't mind either when TDB came out. i mean, some recylcing is awesome (the ending of SOYCD comes to mind) but most of the time i think it's just laziness induced. it's just too easy. self-celebration is pretty different and later-days PF and post 2000 Roger did this to the point of feeding me up with their lack of creativity.
and, while i get where you're going to with your "king of recycling" AKA Animals, i wouldn't even call this "recycling". they've been road-testing Sheep and Dogs for a while and then they recorded it.
I see your point, though it'd been played live for a lot more than a while, more than 2 years I believe. I think it was DG who said it was common for them to refine new material on the road to get 'tight' performances quickly in the studio. I'm not complaining though, I wish they'd reworked a lot more tracks, more for me to enjoy......
Drill
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Drill »

"Division Bell" is a little bit slow. Boring. I gave 3. This album is more for others. :cry:
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

Overall, Gilmour could have done a way better job at directing the albums' themes and concepts, but hey if it beats "DON'T YA THINK WE SHOULD BE CLOSER!" *cue echoes that repeat ad nauseam* then let me be the first to ring the division bell! <ii>
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

The Machman wrote:"DON'T YA THINK WE SHOULD BE CLOSER!"
It's actually "Do you think we should be closer?" ;)
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

moom wrote:
The Machman wrote:"DON'T YA THINK WE SHOULD BE CLOSER!"
It's actually "Do you think we should be closer?" ;)
oops.. :shock: but still its a thousand times better than Roger "MY DADA DIED" Waters solo work
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

By far their best, but I do enjoy it for what it is. It was a huge deal when it came out, and I did go see them on tour. It was just a great time, and for that I would give 1 alone. So a 4 from me. I do enjoy that Wright was back, and that he also sang again. The weak points are the lyrics, it just does not reach up to Waters. But I do enjoy the more personal aspects, reflecting on the Pink Floyd history and post-Waters era.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

Outstanding album with great tracks Poles Apart, High Hopes, and Lost for Words to name a few.
ChickenStu
Axe
Axe

Post by ChickenStu »

Division Bells (as everyone I know seems to call it) was my gateway album to The Floyd. When stacked up against the previous output it doesn't really cut the mustard IMO. Still - brings back memories - and High Hopes is an AWESOME tune.
AndrewJFisher
Axe
Axe

Post by AndrewJFisher »

Eclipse wrote: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:51 pm It is an excellent though very underrated album. The only true mistep in here would be Take it Back, which kind of ruins it for the simple fact it looks like an U2 cover. I'm not that fan of Coming Back to Life too. The other tracks rule though.
I just listened to "Take it Back" for the first time in a while and this time I actually did think it sounded like U2, specifically "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". I quite like "Coming Back to Life", but I don't think it'd be quite the same without that last stroke, echoed and fading out at 6:13.
Last edited by AndrewJFisher on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewJFisher
Axe
Axe

Post by AndrewJFisher »

Of course this album is more Floyd than AMLOR in terms of performance and songwriting. Nick and Rick play their instruments on all the tracks, Rick composes and sings a lead vocal like he used to. I don't know that being without Roger's lyrics makes it not Floyd. I think I like this one a little better than AMLOR, but it's close. Once again, I think Dire Straits have shape their new sound. As I've said in other posts, most Pink Floyd albums seem equally good/bad to me and I have trouble ranking them. I enjoy Rick's "Wearing the Inside Out". The lyrics were by Anthony Moore, but is Rick singing about himself? I like how David comes in on lead vocal giving an outside perspective of Rick or whoever Rick is role-playing in the song...♫"Look at him now...he's paler somehow"♫. I like some of the changes too, the music is generally quite dim, in line with the lyrics, but there's that mood change at 2:36 with synth-solo and then the "climactic" ♫"...I'm wearing the inside out"♫, the mood changes back to how it was, but theres a "happy ending" at 6:16.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I know many of you here appreciate this album and I respect it. But, every time I listen to it I can’t help but think of the bands like Foreigner, Journey or Boston. It means to me this albun is a perfect example of the contemporary adult pop/rock music without too much energy and thrill.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

space triangle wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:51 am I know many of you here appreciate this album and I respect it. But, every time I listen to it I can’t help but think of the bands like Foreigner, Journey or Boston. It means to me this albun is a perfect example of the contemporary adult pop/rock music without too much energy and thrill.
Can you name an album by any of those bands that you feel is as good as TDB?

The only one I can think of is the first Foreigner album, but I'd disagree that the first Foreigner album lacks excitement.