Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
29%
16%
26%
10%
1 - Worst
19%

Total votes: 80

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 pmBut something doesn't have to compare to other songs in order to be considered "very good" by someone. All that needs to happen is that the chord progression and melody be something that appeals strongly to the listener. Art CAN be subjective, y'know.
I agree! There are no real quantifiable qualities in art, so if we're trying to be objective and say something is "good" or "very good", I just try to view it from a historical perspective, and within the context of the artist's body of work. Even Roger would agree that KAOS is his weakest effort. Musically, the melodies and chord progressions in "Late Home Tonight" and "Too Much Rope" may possibly be more sophisticated than in anything else Roger has done as a solo artist; each of his other albums feature one or two melodies as recurring motifs that carry the rest of the album, which is typically simple and sparse. One of the prominent melodies on KAOS is note-for-note identical to the chorus of Leonard Cohen's "Famous Blue Raincoat", while "Radio Waves" borrows heavily from Johnny Cash's "Five Feet High and Rising". Roger insists that the only thing that matters is the strength of the lyrics, and could not care less about melody or harmony. Most of KAOS was clearly written in his favorite 4/4 finger-picking pattern and could be mistaken for "Brain Damage" if you stripped away the synth-heavy production. Without Michael Kamen's clever arrangements on "Paranoid Eyes" and "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert", they would both sound exactly like "Your Possible Pasts". He always uses the same chord progressions, but with KAOS's spoken-word/sing-talking/attempted rap, there's very little melodic content. The sound effects on his prior work were all peripheral, but here they're front and center, with the music just keeping the beat and chiming in with an occasional chorus.
mosespa

Re: Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking

Post by mosespa »

*meh*

There are only eight or so songs, anyway. *shrug*
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I recall I read somewhere that this album is offically the most wordy album off all time.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

i just remembered now that i can't stand the title track.
but i really like the rest
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:36 pm
danielcaux wrote:Please enlighten me about the "brillance" of Corporal Clegg?
Still not sure what the line "Corporal Clegg, umbrella in the rain" is supposed to mean, though...
It's about soldiers with PTSD. The sound of rain hitting the umbrella commonly triggered memories of gun fire.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

This album laid bare that Rog was no musician with borrowed rifs from other albums. The live shows were ok and its where he started to repurpose some of his songs to fit a new narrative
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

The albums is amazing lyrically but lazy muscly (except for songs like Every Strangers Eyes). You can here music reminiscent of 'The Wall' and 'The Final Cut'. Apparently They Were Traveling Abroad and Arabs With Knives And German West Skies sounds a lot like In The Flesh, and has the same chord progression in a different key.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Roger Water's best solo work. Outstrips all other Floyd members solo works. A little difficult to get into, but after nearly 30 years of listening I Am still finding a new wonders in this.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Gave it another listen the other day.
Happy to say it's my second favourite Floyd solo project (second only to Rick's 'Broken China').
Lyrically, superb.
Musically, superb.
Album cover... well, we all know the album cover.
And Clapton's solo guitar... my god!
Every Strangers Eyes is the highlight for me, all though I prefer the version he plays on his 1999 'In The Flesh' tour.
Not a bad song. Just a brilliant album.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

If people had taste they would be playing this every day on the radio. The world is not ready. Up on Mount Olympus they might spin this album, but not down here in Burgerland.

Clapton does his best work here, hands down. Already in the first minute you can hear it. No doubt it was the great aura of Roger propelling him to these heights, we certainly haven't heard it anything like it since. All the participants on this album are doing fantastic work. Vocal wise, early to mid 80s were probably the best for Roger. He is amazing both here and on the Final Cut. Creatively he is also peaking.

10/10
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:06 pm If people had taste they would be playing this every day on the radio. The world is not ready. Up on Mount Olympus they might spin this album, but not down here in Burgerland.
I think that's a bit far mate. Don't get me wrong, this is one of my all time favourite albums, but is it really that great?
I don't think so.

That being said, this is one of my all time favourite albums and I've never once gotten sick of it.
Velve Jones
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Velve Jones »

I am a fan of this record. Crazy side story was when Roger said he submitted the concept of this record and the concept of The Wall to Floyd to decide which one they wanted to turn into the next Pink Floyd album. Also I must say, some of my favorite Eric Clapton guitar playing is on this record.