Who has been the greatest frontman ever?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Who has been the greatest frontman ever?

Post by Hudini »

Flying pig437 wrote:
Hudini wrote:Again, Roger Daltrey? Roger Waters? Roger Rabbit?
I don't know if your trying to be funnry or what but seems as though you want or seem to want it spelling...it's a Pink Floyd website...go figure!
There are numerous frontmans named Roger, you know. And in a General (I don't know if this needs spelling) Music Discussion forum, mentioning just a first name could mean just about any of them. I was curious enough to ask about the person's last name, and though I did asume that you meant Roger Waters I did have in mind more than one Roger the Frontman...

As for the early-mid 2000s shows you've mentioned, I'm sorry you missed them. I've seen him on both "In The Flesh" and "The Dark Side Of The Moon" tours, though I did miss "The Wall". I couldn't really tell which show was better though; both ITF sets were awesome (though we didn't get to see much of the back projections during the first set given the fact that the show was held in an outdoor venue and it was still pretty much day when it started), but the first set of DSOTM tour pissed all over ITF in my book. Too bad the second set (DSOTM itself) didn't make such a great impression on me, but mostly due to fact that I'm a bit tired of constant repetition of the album anywhere and everywhere...
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

Hudini wrote:There are numerous frontmans named Roger, you know. And in a General (I don't know if this needs spelling) Music Discussion forum, mentioning just a first name could mean just about any of them. I was curious enough to ask about the person's last name, and though I did asume that you meant Roger Waters I did have in mind more than one Roger the Frontman...
That's exactly what I said. Anyway, when it comes to great frontmen I don't think Pink Floyd qualifies. The Floyd were never a "frontman band".

Speaking of frontmen named Roger, here's Queen's Roger Taylor (sorry to keep pounding Queen, but they are my favourite band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRMrfLUVLM

V.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I loved the way he did "I'm In Love With My Car" on their Queen + Paul Rodgers tour in 2008, fronting the band in every sense of that word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9XMbi5kLgI

But when it comes to Queen, it's really hard to par with Freddy Mercury...

I also agree on Pink Floyd, that they were not really a "frontman" band, at least at the height of their fame. I guess you could say that Syd Barrett was kind of a frontman while he was still at it, which was for a relatively short time, but as far as I'm concerned they didn't have a real frontman until AMLOR in 1987.

As for Roger Waters, I guess he could be called a frontman now, but he often lets other people front his band while he backs up strumming his bass guitar, so his frontmanship is still a bit disputable. It doesn't change the fact that he puts on great musical shows though.
bigV
Axe
Axe

Post by bigV »

Hudini wrote:As for Roger Waters, I guess he could be called a frontman now, but he often lets other people front his band while he backs up strumming his bass guitar, so his frontmanship is still a bit disputable. It doesn't change the fact that he puts on great musical shows though.
That's what I mean. When it comes to Pink Floyd and the solo acts the main attraction is the music and the spectacle (laser shows, flying pigs, walls etc.). The musicians are almost an afterthought in a PF show. You could even go as far as to say that Mr. Screen is the "frontman" of Pink Floyd. As for Waters himself, I don't think he's that good when fronting a band. He's too awkward, too nervous out there.

V.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

bigV wrote: Anyway, when it comes to great frontmen I don't think Pink Floyd qualifies.
V.
Well that's why I went for the period when Roger was playing live as a de facto frontman. I don't really think we have to care about w/e or not Roger or David solo fit the criteria. I just wanna call them frontmen and that's that. Fuck the criteria! :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Iggy Pop!!!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

He wasn't even Rock, like Kid Rock is. He's Pop.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

moom wrote:He wasn't even Rock, like Kid Rock is. He's Pop.
:?

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

You fail at fat and grammar :P

I wonder if Borat was a frontman in a band...
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

To me they are Roger Waters, Roger Daltrey & Freddie Mercury.
bigV wrote:sorry to keep pounding Queen, but they are my favourite band
Aww please do not apologize for doing that because Queen are fucking fantatic, especially Brian May, my favorite Queen member and the author of my favorite song ever "The Prophet´s Song". :)
spectrum one
Embryo
Embryo

Post by spectrum one »

Freddy for me [-D-]

Was at Knebworth in 86 for the their last hurrah! With over 120,000 there, he had us all eating out the palm of his hand
jschexna
Axe
Axe

Post by jschexna »

[YouTube][/YouTube]David Leee Roth- owns the crowd here........

http://youtu.be/1b7mRIdAD48
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

nosaj wrote:Iggy Pop!!!
You need some car insurance ? Iggy's yer man.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

wiped wrote:
nosaj wrote:Iggy Pop!!!
You need some car insurance ? Iggy's yer man.
Iggy Pop has stage dived onto my head. That makes him the best frontman ever in my book.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

^ he wanted to be your dog :)