Charlie Gilmour sentenced to 16 months in prison

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Seems David Gilmour is a drummer now.. Charlie back in c

Post by ddebil »

Did somebody wish 'arse-rape' on him?? :shock: I must have missed that post.
iain mchenry
Embryo
Embryo

Post by iain mchenry »

Frepp,

Completley agree with your last post. Whilst I am normally the first to enjoy a good laugh about "dark humour issues" I dont think this forum was the place or time for the poster to air his warning to Charlie to watch out in the showers.

ddebil,

It was quite obvious that the sarcastic warning given in the post was either in reference to male rape or assault commonly associated with showers in prisons.

We are looking at the son of a man so many of us here respect and admire. As I mentioned in my first post, I dont think this is David's or Polly's best day of 2011 and I can only imagine how ashamed and upset they must be today with their sons sentencing. Even though I believe Charlie got what was coming to him, a quip with reference to prison showers wasnt really the most sensible posting I have read here on this issue.

Regards

Iain
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Whilst it may (or may not) have been the most 'sensible of postings', a reference to such an act is hardly the same as wishing it upon someone, which was the point of my previous post.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Lets not be silly with comments about prison showers. Very inappropriate indeed. :?

I really don't know what to say about this news. I do not particularly want give it any space on the main NPF website as I would rather say nice things about things fans like. Positive stuff. :D

I am sure this is a most terrible day for the Gilmours, not least Charlie Gilmour. Yes, he shouldn't have been high on LSD throwing bins at the Royal Family convoy, clambering up the Cenotaph, stealing and attempting arson. But 16 months is a little harsh. A community sentence would possibly be more appropriate to rehabilitate him. I imagine Polly has rehabilitated him already. <.8.>

Justice done but a terrible shame for the lad nonetheless.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: N
And I'm aware it's going to be a somewhat disproportionate sentence.
Kudos for that. What do you do...workwise?
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

Keith Jordan wrote:Lets not be silly with comments about prison showers. Very inappropriate indeed. :?

I really don't know what to say about this news. I do not particularly want give it any space on the main NPF website as I would rather say nice things about things fans like. Positive stuff. :D

I am sure this is a most terrible day for the Gilmours, not least Charlie Gilmour. Yes, he shouldn't have been high on LSD throwing bins at the Royal Family convoy, clambering up the Cenotaph, stealing and attempting arson. But 16 months is a little harsh. A community sentence would possibly be more appropriate to rehabilitate him. I imagine Polly has rehabilitated him already. <.8.>

Justice done but a terrible shame for the lad nonetheless.
I think it was harsh but if the attmepted arson wasn't part of the kit and caboodle of charges it would be a serious outrage imo. I mean if he hadn't done that then he should have got community service or a few days in the clink at the most.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

16 months....probably out in 3 or 4. Seems fair to me. If a 'normal' little shit committed the very same offences then no one would bat an eyelid at the sentence.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

ddebil wrote:16 months....probably out in 3 or 4. Seems fair to me. If a 'normal' little shit committed the very same offences then no one would bat an eyelid at the sentence.
yeh he will probably do half - if that - no doubt transferred to an open prison after 2 or 3 there will also be some drugs rehabilitation cause of the LSD etc. Is 16 months harsh - not really as there are probably a dozen or so other things he did and wasn't charged with. Also he deserves 16 months for being so stupid and not knowing that a cenotaph was a memorial to the war dead obviously hasn't been listening to uncle rogers songs
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

iain mchenry wrote:This is my first post on NPF, a shame it has to be about this subject in particular.

As an ex British soldier who has had the misfortune to have lost friends and family in war the act of remembrance and the various memorials which promote that remembrance mean a hell of a lot to me. Some people may find this a bit corny but many men and women have died to allow those today the freedom to protest and when I see people deface, damage or disprespect those memorials they make me and many millions of others livid with rage. It doesnt matter who did it, they are now paying the penalty of law for their misfortunate act. To have been out of their heads on drugs is no excuse either.

I am aware that Charlie Gilmour did a lot more that day than what he did to the Cenotaph and he is now paying the price for that. Speaking as a Pink Floyd fan and someone who has great respect and admiration for David and Polly's work I can only say that I really sympythise with them on what must be a dark day, but Charlie deserves what he got. Hopefully he will pay his price and learn from his mistakes that day.

I have no problem with people being made examples of as long as if there are others who have wronged with them, then they also get treated the same way. We saw a prison sentence passed down earlier in the year on the idiot who threw the fire extinguisher off the roof of the building onto the crowd below, during the same protest, simply idiotic, negligent and inexcusable behaviour.

Regards

Iain
Charlie Gilmour's antics aside - if he is to be believed he didn't know what he was doing anyway - and the Cenotaph itself aside, not all people see memorials in the same way; in fact, some people find some particular memorials utterly offensive. If you raise a memorial, it may get pissed upon. And, while soldiers might deserve the respect of their country/nation/faction/tribe/cell, that doesn't earn them the automatic respect of each individual person, nor do they necessarily deserve it.

In other words: what means a lot to you may mean nothing to me, and your memorial is an eyesore; or what means a lot to you also means a lot to me in a different way, and your memorial deeply offends me. Either way, I may piss on your memorial.
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Re: Charlie Gilmour sentenced to 16 months in prison

Post by scarecrow »

Well thats quite an extreme position. Vandalizing any memorial to anyone obviously is massively disrespectful, irrespective of how much/ little the memorial means to said vandal. If you are suggesting vandalising memorials is a valid form of protest against militarism or particular military campaigns, I think its pretty ineffective in attacking the foot soldiers and victims of war, thus alienating the vast majority of the public.

This sort of case highlights why smashing things up is a really poor form of protest; I don't think it has a lot to do with the politics of the demo, its just an ugly side of human nature - people getting swept along with the mob; as the recent Vancouver ice hockey riots show, destruction and chaos are infectious. Its unfortunate, because many people support the student protests, but this all plays into the government's hands in portraying the protest as an unruly mob, led by people without a serious point to make...

Condolences to the Gilmour family though.

And if you'd read the Uncut Pink Floyd magazine then you'd know David Gilmour also drums on The Narrow Way...
ultraviolet
Blade
Blade

Post by ultraviolet »

PooF wrote:
iain mchenry wrote:This is my first post on NPF, a shame it has to be about this subject in particular.

As an ex British soldier who has had the misfortune to have lost friends and family in war the act of remembrance and the various memorials which promote that remembrance mean a hell of a lot to me. Some people may find this a bit corny but many men and women have died to allow those today the freedom to protest and when I see people deface, damage or disprespect those memorials they make me and many millions of others livid with rage. It doesnt matter who did it, they are now paying the penalty of law for their misfortunate act. To have been out of their heads on drugs is no excuse either.

I am aware that Charlie Gilmour did a lot more that day than what he did to the Cenotaph and he is now paying the price for that. Speaking as a Pink Floyd fan and someone who has great respect and admiration for David and Polly's work I can only say that I really sympythise with them on what must be a dark day, but Charlie deserves what he got. Hopefully he will pay his price and learn from his mistakes that day.

I have no problem with people being made examples of as long as if there are others who have wronged with them, then they also get treated the same way. We saw a prison sentence passed down earlier in the year on the idiot who threw the fire extinguisher off the roof of the building onto the crowd below, during the same protest, simply idiotic, negligent and inexcusable behaviour.

Regards

Iain
Charlie Gilmour's antics aside - if he is to be believed he didn't know what he was doing anyway - and the Cenotaph itself aside, not all people see memorials in the same way; in fact, some people find some particular memorials utterly offensive. If you raise a memorial, it may get pissed upon. And, while soldiers might deserve the respect of their country/nation/faction/tribe/cell, that doesn't earn them the automatic respect of each individual person, nor do they necessarily deserve it.

In other words: what means a lot to you may mean nothing to me, and your memorial is an eyesore; or what means a lot to you also means a lot to me in a different way, and your memorial deeply offends me. Either way, I may piss on your memorial.
Just because something might deeply offend a person or conversely mean nothing to them doesn't mean they should "piss on it", as you put it, or give them some sort of right to do so. I would hope that anyone with a modicum of maturity and common sense would refrain from "pissing on" any sort of memorial which someone else obviously holds dear. Isn't it a basic matter of respect within a society? Would you desecrate a church because you were offended by catholicism or religion? Or would you respect the right of someone else to believe in something different to you? Secondly, it's hard to leave the Cenotaph out of this as the outrage Charlie's little stunt caused was so great simply because it WAS the Cenotaph he was hanging off (even though the rest of it was more serious). I realise you were talking in general terms about memorials, and I don't think Charlie was meaning specific disrespect in his drug addled brain and he wasn't defacing it. But I do struggle to see in general why anyone would find the Cenotaph offensive. It doesn't glorify or celebrate war, it's about remembering what happened and those who died. Even if you happen to be on an opposing side why would you be offended? I wouldn't be offended by a German war memorial commemorating their dead. War's a tragedy, and no matter who you may perceive to be at fault, you don't blame those who are conscripted by their country to fight. In my opinion of course. As for Charlie, yes. it's a harsh sentence but - time to grow up.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

ultraviolet wrote:But I do struggle to see in general why anyone would find the Cenotaph offensive. It doesn't glorify or celebrate war, it's about remembering what happened and those who died.
I agree and that's exactly why I didn't aim my comments at the Cenotaph.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Flying pig437 wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: N
And I'm aware it's going to be a somewhat disproportionate sentence.
Kudos for that. What do you do...workwise?
Sorry! I forgot and thought I was on the David Icke forum!
Although I never wished rape on Charlie and neither did anyone else when I read the thread?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

T'will be interesting to see over time if this has any positive effect on young Chuck. If he decides to do something more positive with his life than to be seen as the drug-crazed rich kid who got sent to prison for behaving like a hooligan. I wonder shall we be seeing a confessional interview from him in time?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Hopefully bumping up tuition fees will get rid of wee wankstains like him. Fuck him. I'm not going to give him a special break because of the Floyd connection. Apparently he was high for a week during his little adventures. Where did he get the time and money to be high for a week?