Charlie Gilmour sentenced to 16 months in prison

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Charlie Gilmour sentenced to 16 months in prison

Post by snifferdog »

According to the defence ""For a period of time starting around August 2010 he was, by his own admission, on something of a continual binge, taking a range of illicit and illegal drugs. It seems this was born more out of unhappiness than hedonism, precipitated by the emotional rejection after meeting Heathcote. In his own words, he spent most of the week, effectively every week, tranquillised out of his mind."

So this means that he was more or less off his head from August through to December when he took part in the protests? Did he ever come home to visit his parents during this time?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

snifferdog wrote:According to the defence ""For a period of time starting around August 2010 he was, by his own admission, on something of a continual binge, taking a range of illicit and illegal drugs. It seems this was born more out of unhappiness than hedonism, precipitated by the emotional rejection after meeting Heathcote. In his own words, he spent most of the week, effectively every week, tranquillised out of his mind."

What a little fanny. Prison showers are going to be fun for him! Comfortably numb or otherwise!

Twat.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

my breakfast. wrote:Where did he get the time and money to be high for a week?
Well indirectly from us - we buy the records DG gets the royalties - he then spends £9000 a term for chuck to go to uni and no doubt give him a couple of grand a month pocket money for tuck. With regards to the showers - no doubt on friday when he went in it was this size * when he come out it will be this size 0
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Should his sentence be more lenient if he did all that stuff sober?

snifferdog wrote: In his own words, he spent most of the week, effectively every week, tranquillised out of his mind."
He should have spent those weeks recording an album of acoustic songs instead of vandalizing. It would be a cult hit.
ultraviolet wrote: would you respect the right of someone else to believe in something different to you?
Charlie Gilmour believes in vandalizing war monuments. Do you respect his right?
ultraviolet wrote:I wouldn't be offended by a German war memorial commemorating their dead
How do you feel about a Josef Mengula statue in front of the hospital?

Charlie G is not going to be raped where he is going.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Idisaffect wrote:
have they said where he is going??
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Not that I know of. But it wont be somewhere he'll get raped in the shower.
ultraviolet
Blade
Blade

Post by ultraviolet »

Idisaffect wrote:
ultraviolet wrote: would you respect the right of someone else to believe in something different to you?
Charlie Gilmour believes in vandalizing war monuments. Do you respect his right?
ultraviolet wrote:I wouldn't be offended by a German war memorial commemorating their dead
How do you feel about a Josef Mengula statue in front of the hospital?

I was replying to a previous post, and by pulling out two sentences you have taken my words entirely out of context. If you read the first part of my post, my point was that I don't agree with anyone vandalising any sort of memorial, whether it offends them or not. As for whether I would be offended by a statue glorifying Josef Mengele, that's not the issue. Finding it distasteful still wouldn't give me the right to deface it. Regardless, It's a bit of an off topic comparison as there's a world of difference between a statue of a man regarded as a war criminal and a cenotaph for Germany's war dead.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

ultraviolet wrote:my point was that I don't agree with anyone vandalising any sort of memorial, whether it offends them or not.
Your point is irrelevant in this world. People have values; they erect monuments and memorials that reflect those values. Not everyone shares those values - some people despise them, and are affronted and offended by the site of an edifice (usually ostentatious) that memorialises them, and they pull those monuments down.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

I don't totally agree with war, but I have learned to respect those who are brave enough to march to the defense of their homeland without questioning their orders or hesitating to put their very lives on the line for what they believe in.

That being said, it is not acceptable (in my opinion) to deface or disrespect a memorial like that in any way. There are far better ways to protest a government's dim-witted actions besides pissing on the memories of those who have no say in the government's decisions than we ourselves do. And from a student, no less! Aren't college students supposed to have at least a little common sense (excluding those who are on football scholarships of course)?

So many thoughts on this but so little desire to fill up pages and pages of this thread with them. I will just leave it at that for now.

Playing the devil's advocate for a second, could it be possible that the increased sensitivity of post - 9/11 thinking had something to do with such a harsh punishment? Hmmmm.....
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Hahaha.

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Some of you are saving some quite mean things regarding this whole situation. Imagine it was someone in your family who had done this. Yes, you would most likely not be too pleased about what they did but you would not wish 16 months of prison on them.

Anyway, seems there will now be an appeal. I think community service would be more humane and could actually serve to rehabilitate instead of wasting tax payer's money on throwing yet another youth in our over-crowded prisons. Only career criminals and those comitting the most serious of crime (murder, rape etc.) should be getting locked up. Its uncivilised!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

The little shits don't even turn up for 'community service'....and what is it they exactly do anyway? Besides, it won't be anything like 16 months. If this had been some chav from a dodgy estate who was sentenced to 16 months, appealed, got out in 3-4 or was given com.service, most people would be quite pissed off.

At least some of them really don't know any better. :twisted:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

ddebil wrote:At least some of them really don't know any better. :twisted:
I think they all know better. Chavs included!
ultraviolet
Blade
Blade

Post by ultraviolet »

PooF wrote:
ultraviolet wrote:my point was that I don't agree with anyone vandalising any sort of memorial, whether it offends them or not.
Your point is irrelevant in this world. People have values; they erect monuments and memorials that reflect those values. Not everyone shares those values - some people despise them, and are affronted and offended by the site of an edifice (usually ostentatious) that memorialises them, and they pull those monuments down.
Wow, telling me my opinion is irrelevant - now there's a way to have a reasoned exchange of views on an internet forum! :lol: Wait..... oh yeah. Reasoned and internet, how stupid of me. Anyway, can't remember anyone taking a wrecking ball to a war memorial recently so I'm not really accepting the premise of your point in this case. Seriously, you appear to be saying that there's always going to be someone around who will want to vandalise memorials they don't believe in so I shouldn't bother having an opinion or point of view on that being unacceptable. Sorry but in my opinion, that's pretty pathetic.
Keith Jordan wrote:Some of you are saving some quite mean things regarding this whole situation. Imagine it was someone in your family who had done this. Yes, you would most likely not be too pleased about what they did but you would not wish 16 months of prison on them.

Anyway, seems there will now be an appeal. I think community service would be more humane and could actually serve to rehabilitate instead of wasting tax payer's money on throwing yet another youth in our over-crowded prisons. Only career criminals and those comitting the most serious of crime (murder, rape etc.) should be getting locked up. Its uncivilised!
The sentence is harsh, but it's not like he'll end up actually serving anywhere near that amount of time, and to be honest I'm not sure community service would have any sort of impact on him at all or be a deterrent. I mean, this is someone with a first class education who should have a brilliant future doing whatever he wants, and instead, he's acting like an idiot. It's not even acting like an idiot for something he believes in, if his excuse for the whole thing was anything to go by. What he did wasn't actually all that minor if you think about it, and then to say he didn't know what he was doing because he was on drugs because his father rejected him - seriously, sounds like he needs a giant reality check.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

ultraviolet wrote: seriously, sounds like he needs a giant reality check.
as opposed to royalty cheque