Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Video/DVD

5 - Best
83%
10%
8%
No votes
1 - Worst
No votes

Total votes: 52

Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Re: Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Post by Mike Eder »

danielcaux wrote:Indeed there are 3 version of Pompeii, the 1972 cut, the 1974 cut and the Director's cut. The VHS version is the best one by far, I believe it's the 1974 cut, with the color interviews interposed between the original "concert". It has the best of both worlds, the funny interviews and sneak peaks on their studio work (the re-recordings of On The Run and Brain Damage are also highlights of the film for me), and the original concert footage of the 1972 cut, without all that CGI crap and stupid liquid titles the director's cut has.

Pity isn't availabe digitally, and probably never will be.
I tried to put my VHS on DVD but the Macrovision won't let my DVD recorder do it. Best version for sure.
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

certainly my fav since i saw it in a theater in boston many moons ago. powerful stuff. never ceases to amaze me the reaction i get from those who are only familiar with them after they hit the big time. skip the interviews and put the two halves of echoes together. for heads only
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

Mike Eder wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Indeed there are 3 version of Pompeii, the 1972 cut, the 1974 cut and the Director's cut. The VHS version is the best one by far, I believe it's the 1974 cut, with the color interviews interposed between the original "concert". It has the best of both worlds, the funny interviews and sneak peaks on their studio work (the re-recordings of On The Run and Brain Damage are also highlights of the film for me), and the original concert footage of the 1972 cut, without all that CGI crap and stupid liquid titles the director's cut has.

Pity isn't availabe digitally, and probably never will be.
I tried to put my VHS on DVD but the Macrovision won't let my DVD recorder do it. Best version for sure.
The Laserdisc release is the 1974 cut, unfortunately, it's in mono. Still the best version. This and the Live at KQED 1969 performance are the best around, IMHO. Better than any other filmed performances bar none-- better than "The Wall" videotape, better than "Delicate Sound of Chunder", better than "Pulse", better than the Live 8 Reunion.
sherer
Axe
Axe

Post by sherer »

going to give this another spin in the next few weeks. Quite liked the directors cut when I first saw it but not sure if that was just because I hadn't seen it in ages
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

I tried to put my VHS on DVD but the Macrovision won't let my DVD recorder do it. Best version for sure.[/quote]

The Laserdisc release is the 1974 cut, unfortunately, it's in mono. Still the best version. This and the Live at KQED 1969 performance are the best around, IMHO. Better than any other filmed performances bar none-- better than "The Wall" videotape, better than "Delicate Sound of Chunder", better than "Pulse", better than the Live 8 Reunion.[/quote]
I never did have a laserdisc player but it would be great if it were transfered to DVD. I guess we cannot upload it here as a version is out.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Mike Eder wrote:I tried to put my VHS on DVD but the Macrovision won't let my DVD recorder do it. Best version for sure.
If you have the right machines you just need to exclude the top few lines of the VHS from being 'read' by the DVD recorder as that is where they hide the copyright stuff.
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

my breakfast. wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:I tried to put my VHS on DVD but the Macrovision won't let my DVD recorder do it. Best version for sure.
If you have the right machines you just need to exclude the top few lines of the VHS from being 'read' by the DVD recorder as that is where they hide the copyright stuff.
How do you do that or what device would I need to get as I would love to put a lot more VHS that has protection on DVD?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I think you might need some sort of time base corrector to do it. Seemingly the VHS write-protect info is broadcast above the visual information on a VHS tape, so if you chop that out of the signal you are sending to a DVD recorder it should be ok.
Mike Eder
Axe
Axe

Post by Mike Eder »

my breakfast. wrote:I think you might need some sort of time base corrector to do it. Seemingly the VHS write-protect info is broadcast above the visual information on a VHS tape, so if you chop that out of the signal you are sending to a DVD recorder it should be ok.
Ok I will look for one.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

Why they didn't film it at Herculaneum has always been a mystery to me :shock:
'Interstellar Overdrive' would have been an interesting addition to the setlist also :D
There shouldn't be a Pink Floyd reunion without Rick Wright, IMHO, an essential
voice of the group has been lost. They should all reconvene to contribute to another
NIck Mason solo album, maybe with the moniker....Piston Floyd? :)
If anyone else has an alternative title for a solo album by Nick, do give it airtime.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Pompeii was a wasted opportunity to make a great concert film. Imagine going through all that trouble just to come away with 4 songs. :cry:
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

RonToon wrote:Pompeii was a wasted opportunity to make a great concert film. Imagine going through all that trouble just to come away with 4 songs. :cry:
But afterall that's just one song short to the length of some of their albums like Atom, Whish and Animals! :o

Wait a minute? But there where more than 4 songs in Pompeii... or are you refering to just the ones actually recorded at Pompeii and not later in some studio in France?
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:
RonToon wrote:Pompeii was a wasted opportunity to make a great concert film. Imagine going through all that trouble just to come away with 4 songs. :cry:
But afterall that's just one song short to the length of some of their albums like Atom, Whish and Animals! :o

Wait a minute? But there where more than 4 songs in Pompeii... or are you refering to just the ones actually recorded at Pompeii and not later in some studio in France?
Comparing concert films and albums are like comparing apples and oranges. Instead of the possibility of getting a complete concert film from 1972 (and I don't need to remind anyone of the setlist), we get 3 songs live from Pompeii (not 4); Echoes, One Of These Days, and A Saucerful of Secrets (all with heavy studio overdubs). The other songs were filmed in the studio. I wish they filmed much more of their pre-DSOTM repertoire at Pompeii. Opportunity wasted.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

RonToon wrote:Comparing concert films and albums are like comparing apples and oranges. Instead of the possibility of getting a complete concert film from 1972 (and I don't need to remind anyone of the setlist), we get 3 songs live from Pompeii (not 4); Echoes, One Of These Days, and A Saucerful of Secrets (all with heavy studio overdubs)...
Well, I have heard that Pompeii was a pretty lame concert actually, the audience was kinda dead :lol:

I see your point, it was a wasted opportunity yes, not to have more songs recorded. But given that it wasn't really a concert film, more like an extended conceptual music video, I'm OK with the end product. Great performances, and great images.
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

I first saw the concert on television around the time I saw Naked Yoga narrated by Alexis Korner so the two films seem like two halves of a whole due to the atmosphere conjured up by the visuals and the ambience of the music. Five out of five.