David Gilmour Interview, Beat Instrumental, July 1978

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
lonegroover
Embryo
Embryo

David Gilmour Interview, Beat Instrumental, July 1978

Post by lonegroover »

Hello. Pink Floyd was never my favourite band but I've always liked their stuff, except for the post-87 stuff which I find a bit cynical. I listened to DSOTM a lot in my late teens. When I was first at University, even two years after the Summer of Punk and it was the one album you'd be guaranteed to hear radiating from other people's rooms in the halls of residence where I lived. A few people had the posters that came with the album on their walls.

Anyway - I've registered so I can share something that I came across yesterday, in my garage - an interview with David Gilmour in the July 1978 edition of Beat Instrumental, coinciding with the release of his eponymous solo album.

PDF here: http://missiontechnology.co.uk/random/g ... erview.pdf

Beat Instrumental was aimed at musicians and consequently there's some nerd content - some of the questions are about his stuff. But he talks a bit about Animals, Dark Side and the future of Pink Floyd as well.

The mag is a bit uneven so the scans are a bit funky, but it's readable. I should have ironed it first.

This is my favourite bit:

It's clear from the interview that the interviewer (Tom Stock by the way) has no knowledge whatever about The Wall even if Gilmour has. This would have taken place seven or eight months before Floyd started to record The Wall, and nearly two years before the Wall tour, which of course featured a large wall constructed between band and audience.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Re: David Gilmour Interview, Beat Instrumental, July 1978

Post by davidjay »

cool. thanks for sharing!
misterstock
Embryo
Embryo

Re: David Gilmour Interview, Beat Instrumental, July 1978

Post by misterstock »

Hi there...it's probably of little interest, but Tom Stock is still alive and well, although I can hardly remember conducting this interview - any more than David Gilmour can! Obviously I knew nothing of the Wall's impending release but back in those days at Beat it was much more about "the nerd content" (what an appalling indictment!) than anything else. I found the "nerd content" to be damn useful in securing interviews with many musicians who, even back then, were wary of granting time to other magazines but were more than happy to discuss equipment and technology with what they perceived to be like-minded souls.