If you could have been at any Pink Floyd concert...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
F Glimpse
Embryo
Embryo

Re: If you could have been at any Pink Floyd concert...

Post by F Glimpse »

The Wall Tour :D
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Not so much 'could' as 'should' - At the age of 16 I was working on a strawberry farm in Herefordshire in 1970 with a whole bunch of hippy students, all a few years older than me. Some of them invited me to go with them to see The Floyd in Hyde Park. After some thought I declined as I was skint and thought I needed to stay on to earn a few quid. It was another 10 years before I got to see them for the first time. :-({|=
StarlightDragon
Axe
Axe

Post by StarlightDragon »

Wow, this is a difficult question.

Obviously, the first answer that springs to mind is Live 8 - but then again, I can't see a picture of the band there without bursting into tears, so who knows what an emotional wreck I'd be if I was actually at the concert.

Next thought: Syd. But although it would be interesting to see if his erratic behaviour actually lives up to the legend, and I'd love to experience his famed charisma in person... it probably would distract from my enjoyment of the music, and if I only got one turn on the time machine, I probably wouldn't take such a gamble.

Another option is the original Wall tours - but only if I didn't know what to expect in advance. I just remember reading a quote from Gilmour once, about how he would appear on top of the wall when the first chorus of Comfortably Numb hit, and every night there would be a gasp from thousands of fans who had no idea he was there. I'd love to experience that.

And then, of course, there's a couple of personal favourite pieces that I'd love to see live for no reason other than that I think they're just that amazing. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun springs to mind as an example.

But overall, I think if I could pick just one, I'd go for one of the very early performances of Dark Side of the Moon (or Eclipse as it was known for some time.) Just the opportunity to get an insight into the journey behind that piece, and to compare it with the album and see how it progressed from its early stages into the finished album the entire world knows? That's a chance I could not pass up.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

One of their free-form shows in 1966 where they'd play for hours.
Scottish Meddle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Scottish Meddle »

"The Man And The Journey" :-({|=

Or one between DSOTM tour and In The Flesh Tour. With at least DSOTM or WYWH complete with older classics.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Pompeii counts? Anyway, it's between Pompeii and any concert from Dark Side Of The Moon Tour.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Charade I am wrote:Pompeii counts?
It should, it was still a live performance :) And I agree, I'd choose the same era in the first place.