Most emotional Pink Floyd song for you?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Re: Most emotional Pink Floyd song for you?

Post by A Syd Casualty »

See Saw
Fearless
Time
Don't Leave Me Now
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

raisemyrent wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:37 am Marooned and comfortably numb, if they play in my shuffle, I have to stop listening to music afterwards because there just isn’t any follow up.
The only song I know that really does that to me is Neverland by Marillion. Some people might say it's more than a little bit Floyd inspired but actually it takes it farther than Floyd ever have, simply because Steve Hogarth is the kind of singer that wears his heart on his sleeve (not dissimilar to Waters but technically better).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NhNz9-EOA
Eliardo1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Eliardo1 »

Brain damage and Echoes

Brain damage deals beautifully with the main theme of Waters’ lyrics, which it seems to me to be alienation (in all of its meanings, including madness). And the music in that song definitely has some contribution from Gilmour. The lyrics “and if the dam breaks open many years too soon and if there is no room upon the hill” evokes such beautiful imagery to talk about loneliness, death, even religious themes.

Echoes deals with longing and missing. And puts it beautifully: “I open the windows wide and cry to you across the sky”.

I think those are the saddest for me.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Some time ago, I said on this thread that my answer would be "Marooned".
I feel that has changed... a little.
"Marooned" still has a huge emotional impact on me, and on some days is the most emotional. But some days, it's "The Final Cut". The lyrics of that song are some of the most brutally honest lyrics about what depression and pushing away the people you love is like, and the last lines of the song strike home far closer than I care to elaborate.
Another one would be, possibly weirdly, "Eclipse". The upshot of the track ("everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon") seems to suggest that, yeah. Nothing makes any damn sense. But there's a feeling of relief in that idea. Knowing that life doesn't make sense and is kind of incomprehensible makes me feel better about just trying my best to struggle through it.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

‘The Final Cut’ is definitely the top one for me, largely because of the lyrics and their closer to home meaning. Other notable mentions are ‘Louder Than Words’, ‘When The Tigers Broke Free’ and ‘Mother’.