1994 - Favourite song of The Division Bell

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Re: 1994 - Favourite song of The Division Bell

Post by DarkSideFreak »

mosespa wrote:Poles Apart or Coming Back To Life, I'd say.
Ditto! I also love What Do You Want from Me and High Hopes. But the two you mention are tied at the top for me.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

For me it has to be High Hopes. A definate Gilmour era Floyd classic.

2nd is Lost for Words
3rd is Marooned
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I pretty much like all of them, but ''High Hopes'' is the best post-Waters Floyd song imo and nothing else come close... It can totally compare with other Floyd classics like ''Time'' and ''Comfortably Numb'' not saying it's better but it's in the same league. The chord progression is unique and what to say about this lap steel solo.

For the rest of my top 3 I'd say ''Marooned'' and ''Coming Back to Life''.
Tazz3
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Tazz3 »

I like these later albums but my fav song is high hopes i listen to it a lot
A Syd Casualty
Axe
Axe

Post by A Syd Casualty »

High Hopes, it's in my head daily.

I think WDYWFM is brilliant too.
ArastasHatchet
Axe
Axe

Post by ArastasHatchet »

wow...uhhh...thats tough. i really like what do you want from me and keep talkin, but coming back to life is awesome and high hopes toooooo! that s the worst question yet lol. any other album would be a definite answer, but this is just too much for me, i give up.

Im actually gonna have to go with Marooned. yup, for sure.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ArastasHatchet wrote:wow...uhhh...thats tough. i really like what do you want from me and keep talkin, but coming back to life is awesome and high hopes toooooo! that s the worst question yet lol. any other album would be a definite answer, but this is just too much for me, i give up.

Im actually gonna have to go with Marooned. yup, for sure.
Love three of the songs you mentioned, but I find "Keep Talking" and "Marooned" a bit too simplistic in their composition, both are mainly saved by the playing. "Marooned" is not much more but a slowed-down "Sirius" and the opening riff of "Keep Talking" sounds similar to... "Sirius"... eh?! :?:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

High Hopes
Steel Breeze
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Steel Breeze »

My favourite song from TDB has to be High Hopes, a superb track which I feel is not only the runaway highlight of the album but also the clear highlight of the post-Waters era. Lyrically, I love how it describe David's personal experiences with the band and I feel the imagery is superior to most David/Polly lyrics. Musically, I love the piano and also the use of the bell I feel it's a bit like Comfortably Numb in the sense that I love the first guitar solo, and the second solo is just breath-taking. That wonderful lap steel does it for me every single time. It was the perfect conclusion to their career, and even since the release of The Endless River (which was of course named after a lyric from the song) I still feel the same way about it. I think it would definitely be in my top 20 Pink Floyd songs overall.

My second favourite track would be Poles Apart (I like the references to Syd and I love the guitar riff and the final solo) and my third favourite would be Marooned (just love David's atmospheric guitar playing on this one).
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Steel Breeze wrote:My favourite song from TDB has to be High Hopes, a superb track which I feel is not only the runaway highlight of the album but also the clear highlight of the post-Waters era. Lyrically, I love how it describe David's personal experiences with the band and I feel the imagery is superior to most David/Polly lyrics. Musically, I love the piano and also the use of the bell I feel it's a bit like Comfortably Numb in the sense that I love the first guitar solo, and the second solo is just breath-taking. That wonderful lap steel does it for me every single time. It was the perfect conclusion to their career, and even since the release of The Endless River (which was of course named after a lyric from the song) I still feel the same way about it. I think it would definitely be in my top 20 Pink Floyd songs overall.

My second favourite track would be Poles Apart (I like the references to Syd and I love the guitar riff and the final solo) and my third favourite would be Marooned (just love David's atmospheric guitar playing on this one).
Poles Apart seems to get overlooked a bit too often - I think it ranks among their finest work. Of course it doesn't only reference Syd, the second verse is about Roger and the last one might even be about Rick (but I'm not sure about that one).
Steel Breeze
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Steel Breeze »

I agree about Poles Apart - part of the reason why I think it and High Hopes are the best two songs on the album is their contemplative approach which looks back over the band's entire history. I think this is crucial in defining The Division Bell's identity the Floyd canon, and I've always sensed that David feels a genuine connection to the lyrics, which helps a lot. I also really like the acoustic guitar riff, and I think the guitar solo is somewhat overlooked, as it's one of the best and most memorable on the album. I'd not thought that the final verse could be about Rick - I tended to assume that it went back to Syd after the second verse, partly because it reprises the 'never lose that light in your eyes' line from the first verse (which it itself echoes 'now there's a look in your eyes like black holes in the sky' lyric from Shine On) - although it could partly be about him too.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

Stephen Hawking dead: Famed scientist dies at 76

Stephen Hawking died Wednesday (March 14, 2018) after complications due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a progressive neurodegenerative disease. He was 76.

From Wiki:

"Keep Talking" is a song from Pink Floyd's 1994 album, The Division Bell.

Written by David Gilmour, Richard Wright and Polly Samson, it was sung by Gilmour and also features samples of Stephen Hawking's electronic voice, taken from a BT television advertisement (this same commercial would be sampled again in "Talkin' Hawkin'" from Pink Floyd's next and final studio album, The Endless River).[2] Gilmour chose to use the speech after crying to the commercial, which he described as "the most powerful piece of television advertising that I’ve ever seen in my life.”[3] The song also makes some use of the talk box guitar effect.

The song was the first single to be released from the album in the United States in March 1994. It was the group's third #1 hit on the Album Rock Tracks chart (a chart published by Billboard magazine which measures radio play in the USA, and is not a measure of record sales), staying atop for six weeks.

The song was included on the 2001 compilation, Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd.[4]

The song was performed every night during the 1994 The Division Bell Tour and live versions, taken from different shows, were included in both the album Pulse and the video of the same name.

The song was sampled by Wiz Khalifa on the title track of his 2009 mixtape Burn After Rolling.

It's more of a wish [that all problems can be solved through discussion, as 'Keep Talking' suggests] than a belief. [laughs]

— David Gilmour, 1994[5]
Well, I guess I experiment more than I think I do. I had a Zoom [effects box] in my control room one day and I was mucking about with something. Suddenly, I thought I should stick the E-bow on the strings and see what would happen. It sounded great, so we started writing a little duet for the E-bowed acoustic guitar [a Gibson J-200] and a keyboard. We never finished the piece, but Jon Carin [keyboardist] decided to sample the E-bowed guitar part. We kept the sample and ended up using it as a loop on "Take It Back", and again on "Keep Talking".

— David Gilmour, 1994[5]

Stephen Hawking 1994: "For millions of years mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination: we learned to talk" and "It doesn't have to be like this. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking."
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

I'm just listening to disc 1 of Pulse right now. I had wanted to do that for a while now, but Hawking's passing prompted me to finally dust it off again. RIP Stephen :(
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Steel Breeze wrote:I agree about Poles Apart - part of the reason why I think it and High Hopes are the best two songs on the album is their contemplative approach which looks back over the band's entire history. I think this is crucial in defining The Division Bell's identity the Floyd canon, and I've always sensed that David feels a genuine connection to the lyrics, which helps a lot. I also really like the acoustic guitar riff, and I think the guitar solo is somewhat overlooked, as it's one of the best and most memorable on the album. I'd not thought that the final verse could be about Rick - I tended to assume that it went back to Syd after the second verse, partly because it reprises the 'never lose that light in your eyes' line from the first verse (which it itself echoes 'now there's a look in your eyes like black holes in the sky' lyric from Shine On) - although it could partly be about him too.
I came up with that idea after realizing that "Lost for Words" includes a definite (but subtle) reference to Rick's departure from the band ("when the Right One (!) walks out of the door"), which reprises Rick's own accounts in "Wearing the Inside Out". Then again, there's that weird line "The rain fell slow", which also appears in "Coming Back to Life". TDB is a strange album lyrically, everything is connected to each other somehow...
keith
Embryo
Embryo

Post by keith »

Definitely High Hopes. This song is like a manifestation of becoming a grown-up for me.