Anyone remember the Nintendo GameCube?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Anyone remember the Nintendo GameCube?

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

Anyone here remember, or has a Nintendo GameCube?
I recently got one after spending the last few years trying to. I have like a brotherly attachment to it.

Maybe it's because we were both born the same year: 2001.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Anyone remember the Nintendo GameCube?

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Wow, I was about your age when I joined this forum- in 2005!

My memories of early 2000's game consoles are primarily of the Playstation 2, as that is what I spent most of my time playing. I remember the GameCube being something very short lived, soon to be made obsolete by the Xbox.
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Wow, I was about your age when I joined this forum- in 2005!

My memories of early 2000's game consoles are primarily of the Playstation 2, as that is what I spent most of my time playing. I remember the GameCube being something very short lived, soon to be made obsolete by the Xbox.
Wow, I feel like a little kid now...

I remember the PS2 also. While our family was primarily a SNES one, my friend had a PS2 that I would play constantly at their house.
My favorite game was Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly for some reason. Now that I look back, that game was REALLY bad.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

You guys make me feel like an old fart. I grew up on Commodore 64. This was the shit back in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfIcu3Tf26U

When I was about your age, TDB came out. Still, I am nowhere near being among the oldest folks on the board.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Now you're talking Hudini! We didn't have a Commodore 64 chez Snifferdog but a Sinclair ZX Spectrum with a whopping 128k of RAM and a built in cassette player to load in the games. I can't remember what I did while waiting for the games to load - some of them used to take up to 10 minutes to be ready.
By the time TDB came out we'd gone all fancy and owned a Commodore Amiga which was a great computer in its time. It had better sound and video than a lot of computers that were around at the same time and it's where I first used a mouse. The computer shipped with a horrible mouse though and a lot of people ended up buying a third party one.

The only Nintendo consoles I ever owned were the Gameboys. I bought the original Gameboy as a teenager and went on to own a few different iterations of that until a few years ago. I sold my NDS about 3 years ago because I'd started using my phone instead.

If anyone's feeling nostalgic, there are plenty of emulators and old games out there which can be played on a computer. I sometimes play old ZX Spectrum, Amiga and Playstation games on my PC here. It's an interesting experience. Some games still stand the test of time while others just aren't how I remember them :D
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe

Hudini wrote:You guys make me feel like an old fart. I grew up on Commodore 64. This was the shit back in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfIcu3Tf26U
Oh no, Bubble Bopple...

...the music. IT WILL NEVER LEAVE.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

snifferdog wrote:By the time TDB came out we'd gone all fancy and owned a Commodore Amiga which was a great computer in its time. It had better sound and video than a lot of computers that were around at the same time and it's where I first used a mouse. The computer shipped with a horrible mouse though and a lot of people ended up buying a third party one.
I remember those. My uncle owned an Amiga 500 which was top class back in the day. :D
I also remember those third party mice that were sold separately from the computers. They were apparently considered so hi-tech that they used to come in a hard plastic foam box. :lol:
snifferdog wrote:If anyone's feeling nostalgic, there are plenty of emulators and old games out there which can be played on a computer. I sometimes play old ZX Spectrum, Amiga and Playstation games on my PC here. It's an interesting experience. Some games still stand the test of time while others just aren't how I remember them :D
Oh yes! I often play old games, mostly old C64 and Playstation games, but there's also a number of old PC games online. Most of them are still fun. I just went to see if Wolfenstein 3D (which was considered revolutionary when it came out) is still online and ended up playing for the last half an hour. :lol:
TheEndlessWaters wrote:...the music. IT WILL NEVER LEAVE.
I know what you mean. It's been ringing in my ears for more than 20 years now. You'll get used to it eventually. 8)
henno

Post by henno »

amstrad 464 here, complete with green screen tv ;)

harrier attack was the best ever!!!

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I used to love Harrier Attack! 8)
Ageless Stranger
Axe
Axe

Post by Ageless Stranger »

I've been through a few computers in my time, Vic-20, ZX-81, Spectrum 16k then 48k moving on to the Atari ST and finally settling on a PC (Windows 3.0)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

You never moved on from Windows 3.0? Wow. :shock:

only joking
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe

I should probably rename this "The Nostalgia Thread." It makes much more sense.
:3
Ageless Stranger
Axe
Axe

snifferdog wrote:You never moved on from Windows 3.0? Wow. :shock:

only joking
in hindsight 3.0 would run a lot faster on my behemoth of a machine, but no I moved through most of the windows incarnations mostly because of work.

Still have my old speccy kicking about somewhere at home, wish I had my ST though :-(
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

TheEndlessWaters wrote:I should probably rename this "The Nostalgia Thread." It makes much more sense.
:3
Don't. There's quite a lot of nostalgia threads around here. "Computer Nostalgia Thread" perhaps. But don't take my advice.
Ageless Stranger
Axe
Axe

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be