The prettiest and ugliest language according to you

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

The prettiest and ugliest language according to you

Post by EclipsedByTheMoon »

Here's the deal, I always disliked French as I find it pretentious and obnoxious. Also, I can't stand German, the Ugro - Finnish languages, Albanian and Cantonese. On the other hand, I love Spanish (have been learning for 4 years) and Serbian and have a strange obsession with Greek. Besides those languages, I love my mother tongue, Slovak. I do know my opinion is subjective, feel free to disagree with me. :)
Last edited by EclipsedByTheMoon on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The prettiest and ugliest language according to you

Post by Keith Jordan »

A very odd topic to say some languages are ugly. :?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well it depends who's saying it! Everyone is meant to hate Russia, but I think Russian women have the sexiest accents and language.
And... I've misread the topic. Sorry.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

A question that is highly subjective and also highly likely to generate responses that will offend at least someone.

But ok, I'll have a try: I find French soothing, but Vietnamese torturous on the ears.
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Hey! I love Russian, don't know why people tend to dislike it. :(
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Well it depends who's saying it! Everyone is meant to hate Russia, but I think Russian women have the sexiest accents and language.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

EclipsedByTheMoon wrote:Hey! I love Russian, don't know why people tend to dislike it. :(
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Well it depends who's saying it! Everyone is meant to hate Russia, but I think Russian women have the sexiest accents and language.
Their President hates Gays. And also the West wants to provoke them into WWIII.
Those seem to be the main bulletin points from what I can gather! I can't hate any country really, stick "The Wall" on really loud and drive around other countries, you'll get a lot of (younger) people giving rock gestures and freaking out.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Their President hates Gays.
A lot of presidents hate a lot of things, but it's no reason to hate the whole nation. Our (Serbian) president is a dumb peasant and our prime minister is an ass kisser of colossal proportions with a superhero delusion. Should that give someone a right to hate me?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Hudini wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Their President hates Gays.
A lot of presidents hate a lot of things, but it's no reason to hate the whole nation. Our (Serbian) president is a dumb peasant and our prime minister is an ass kisser of colossal proportions with a superhero delusion. Should that give someone a right to hate me?
Well I don't know why the world hasn't turned against Serbia if that's the criteria! I think it's daft and basically means for all the British going "Oh, look at North Korea! Their people are so stupid!", then they are just as bad if not worse as they are far too easily led by a bullshitting media!

Anyway, all you need is Floyd! Their music opens doors.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Well I don't know why the world hasn't turned against Serbia if that's the criteria!
They have in the 1990s and early 2000s, while we had an insane war criminal for a president. Back in the day, I've been verbally provoked and even physically assaulted abroad just for stating where I come from, and I even lost count how many times I've been (unintentionally or not) prejudged by someone from another country. And I never even voted for the guy. Nor for these two morons, for that matter.
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I think it's daft and basically means for all the British going "Oh, look at North Korea! Their people are so stupid!", then they are just as bad if not worse as they are far too easily led by a bullshitting media!
I don't know about the British in particular, but you'd probably be surprised how many people all around the world do form an opinion like that.
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

I admire Putin for standing up for his opinion, however, I do disagree on this issue though, but that's not a reason to hate Russia.
Their President hates Gays. And also the West wants to provoke them into WWIII.
Those seem to be the main bulletin points from what I can gather! I can't hate any country really, stick "The Wall" on really loud and drive around other countries, you'll get a lot of (younger) people giving rock gestures and freaking out.
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

I can sadly relate. Fortunately, I wasn't assaulted, but I was looked down upon for coming from a former Eastern Block country. I've been labeled a communist and Marxist. An American tourist asked me if we have internet connection and toilets and know the Beatles. Just because Slovakia used to be a Communist country, it doesn't mean we live under a rock.
Hudini wrote:
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Well I don't know why the world hasn't turned against Serbia if that's the criteria!
They have in the 1990s and early 2000s, while we had an insane war criminal for a president. Back in the day, I've been verbally provoked and even physically assaulted abroad just for stating where I come from, and I even lost count how many times I've been (unintentionally or not) prejudged by someone from another country. And I never even voted for the guy. Nor for these two morons, for that matter.
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:I think it's daft and basically means for all the British going "Oh, look at North Korea! Their people are so stupid!", then they are just as bad if not worse as they are far too easily led by a bullshitting media!
I don't know about the British in particular, but you'd probably be surprised how many people all around the world do form an opinion like that.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Oh, screw this political crap. On the topic of languages...again...I cannot say what is ugly or pretty but I will say what languages appeal or do not....I for one find German and the language spoken by the Apache Indians fascinating (to name but two)...why? No idea...but I do. On the other hand I find French and Spanish to be a bit irritating (also to name only two). Again...why? No Idea...but I do. That's just me and I speak for no other nor do I feel anyone needs to agree...and by the way...no offense meant to anyone who speaks them.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

On the language topic...

I just came back from a trip to Bulgaria and I can say that the language gave me a real hard time keeping myself from bursting into laughing out loud at moments. It's not the language itself, but the fact that a lot of their common words sound exactly like sexual slang in Serbian.

My favorite one is the skiing advert that reads "Карам добре" which means "I am a good skier" in Bulgarian but literally translates as "I screw the good ones" in Serbian. Top it with an image of a content man in skiing gear posing proudly, it's hilarious.

But other than that it's just a language like any other.
EclipsedByTheMoon
Axe
Axe

Oh my god, really? How is that possible? It must have been a fun experience. I would never thought that of Bulgarian. :D :lol:
Hudini wrote:On the language topic...

I just came back from a trip to Bulgaria and I can say that the language gave me a real hard time keeping myself from bursting into laughing out loud at moments. It's not the language itself, but the fact that a lot of their common words sound exactly like sexual slang in Serbian.

My favorite one is the skiing advert that reads "Карам добре" which means "I am a good skier" in Bulgarian but literally translates as "I screw the good ones" in Serbian. Top it with an image of a content man in skiing gear posing proudly, it's hilarious.

But other than that it's just a language like any other.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Sat next to a bloke on a train who was clearing his throat for half an hour - then I realised he was speaking Dutch