If Syd never left Pink Floyd

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: If Syd never left Pink Floyd

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

My point was that if Syd was wanting to move away from or beyond psychedelic music, employing Soft Machine (who had just reformed in order to fulfill their own contractual obligations) or Gilmour/Wright was probably not the way to go about it, at least on paper.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ Well...I'm glad he used members of Soft Machine. Love that band. Love those chaotic overdubs on No Good Trying.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Eclipse wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:03 pm about PG:
I also love that tour! The video (from 2003 I guess) was actually my first listen on his solo career. I also love his soundtracks, especially Passion.
Do you like the albums Genesis released with him in the band? All the ones from Trespass until The Lamb lies down on Broadway are masterpieces IMO.
Yes it is 2003 and off course I love Genesis with PG especially The Lamb lies down on Broadway an album that was by critics marked as theirs worst work until then and later it turn to theirs most selling and successful album ever …
I think I love everything about PG and my fav would be Solsbury hill, it is most true and honest ballad I have heard so far, even more then Love will tear us apart by Joy Division …
Also, as a kid my first choice was those prog rock bands since enormous amount of energy they do provide :
This one is great version and it is a way better then album version :

https://youtu.be/sz1TEHiMXGc

Maybe this is out from current conversation, but speaking about psyhodelic sound that disappeared so quick, I think same sound in later years envelope to something much bigger … For example Golden brown by Dave Brubeck and Stranglers Golden Brown from Snatch soundtrack is exactly real psyhodelic sound… I think Quentin Tarantino stated that he was creating his characters in movies as they are described by song or should I say he first listen a song and then later he create a person … So I think psyhodelic sound carried a lot more charisma with in then just some weird and dull noise that was in begining …
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Obviously psychedelic music never died. Elements of that stuff show up all over the place. The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging is as psychedelic as The Scarecrow.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I agree … I think you can find psyhodelic sound even in some Deep purple songs, although it is hard rock or music that is intend for doing something else instead just smoke pot while listening to story they tell … So I guess you have a very great share, especially when you add more color to psyhodelic sound as jazz, but at the end it is just strange or a bit different that gives you some more time to think or dance with…
Still with electronic music I find how psyhodelic sound is very huge, even today :

https://youtu.be/P8JEm4d6Wu4
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Kerry King wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:46 pm Obviously psychedelic music never died. Elements of that stuff show up all over the place. The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging is as psychedelic as The Scarecrow.
It is funny you have mention Peter Gabriel in his early age and Scarecrow … You are def right when it comes to those two …
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I honestly do not know how PF would sound with him later since I am not Nostradamus, but one thing is for sure, If he had some goals left in music and with all things he did know or saw, I think he would be doing at least something like Dance of the Death with Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden …
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think that had Syd been well and never gone mad and stayed in the band and retained his role as lead songwriter and guiding light, I think it's quite possible that songs like "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" could still have appeared, as could much of what's on his solo albums. One doesn't have to necessarily be "mad" to skirt songwriting conventions and try different things.

One could still see things like "Paint Box" and "It Would Be So Nice" emerging; though maybe in a somewhat altered form as Syd filtered it through his lenses.

But I kind of think that Syd would have ended up sort of bringing New Wave (ala Television and Talking Heads,) to the fore a few years earlier than it actually did. Just think if Robyn Hitchcock had been a contemporary of Syd's, rather than someone obviously influenced by him!

But since we're losing the trauma and fallout of Syd going mad and leaving, there'd be no Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here or The Wall.

We'd lose all Gilmour contributions...and I think that's a pretty heavy loss.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mosespa wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:32 am But I kind of think that Syd would have ended up sort of bringing New Wave (ala Television...)
The early Television stuff with Richard Hell definitely could have blended in with the type of stuff Barrett did on his solo albums. The song "Don't Die", from when they were calling themselves The Neon Boys, has a nice Barrett vibe.

I would have loved to hear more Barrett/Kevin Ayers collaborations. That's a great match up.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Speaking about Iron maiden that was an obvious joke, but I admire both, Syd and Bruce D. especially the other fellow with F.O.T.D … I agree about Television and Talking heads as both were under Syd influence still I cannot underlay a fact were a lot people think he was mentally unstable especially since I understand and see very much a same ‘thing’ I would say… Also there was a numerous attempts in music so far that I have lost count explaining what Syd have saw…

So I will just mention some bands or musicians :
Peter Gabriel, Tool, Perfect circle, Black Sabbath and again Iron Maiden with their mascot Eddie where everybody point to our inner enemy that is unseen from day of our birth…

So I guess Syd could be whatever he would like since he have a free will…
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:08 pm The early Television stuff with Richard Hell definitely could have blended in with the type of stuff Barrett did on his solo albums. The song "Don't Die", from when they were calling themselves The Neon Boys, has a nice Barrett vibe.

I would have loved to hear more Barrett/Kevin Ayers collaborations. That's a great match up.
I did not know Television was The Neon boys until you have mention, actually I did not know at all and so far I just have listen to Marque moon an album that fascinated me…
So if I may, do you have any suggestions about Television and to be specific more like as entire album ?
Thanks …
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Neon Boys...Full ep. Recorded 1972/73...Released in 1980...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLnOgq_AWV0
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I think Neon boys clicked to me only after 9 mins and it was good, still I found myself a bit bored from old fashioned psychedelic sound alike Revolver while on the other side Robyn Hitchcock is much more appealing to me when it comes to Syd… Great comparation and thanks, also I need to mention that new wave or punk have started entire rock scene in my country …
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I think Syd was confronted to entire band and entire world when he was left alone where you have a millions who think he was a “mentally unstable” person …
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Syd was very special person and very happy kid who saw something where a billions people failed to see and he saw exactly a reason why do we think or feel fear from something we can’t see … He saw something that was hidden from us since the day when we are born … I called them simply ‘others or sorrow as one being and pride that could only giggle when we are wrong … Very ugly people that live hidden amoung us as our friends, family and others … Apparently Syd wished with all his heart to be gone or dead for one moment and therefore you have a person with almost no chains around him, but still with no wings to fly, while at same time somewhere around fifth grade great people have joined him so he could achieve even more or to be more specific immortality of soul, but as we all can see price for being such is very high or let me say equal to shaking an entire earth with just one word or to be more honest it just could not have been said or read …

Still as everything awaits for all of us equally , Syd was just a person who was very easier to be taught and therefore he was even later confronted to entire world by his bandmates as mentally unstable person …

Here is some interesting part in C.C books that confirm same thing Syd have saw :

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/870595 ... -depths-of