Roger Waters Us + Them Tour 2017

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Re: 2017 tour

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:[
Yeah but he doesn't do an awful lot up on that stage does he? Hearing a few bass lines isn't going to give me chills, especially after witnessing 3 masterclasses in musicianship from Gilmour, which as a musician myself, I greatly appreciated

Yes, nothing says "master class" like Benedict Cumberpatch singing perhaps the greatest song ever penned.

And as a musician myself, the thing I respect most is original songwriting over virtuosity. There are lots of great players. Very, very few good songwriters.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Roger Waters Us + Them Tour 2017

Post by azza200 »

yes but he only was a guest on 1 night big deal. While Roger includes One Of These Days in his set and hardly plays bass on it just a few notes here and there yeah sorry but its a song he should be playing full bass on not just a few notes here and there. While he has 3 session musicians doing bass whats stopping him being the only bass player thru his show. His set includes alot of songs where he is not even singing
Last edited by azza200 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

He set includes alot of songs where he is not even singing

He wrote the songs. It doesn't matter.

would I prefer David on those tracks? Duh. But that's not the reality.

However one thing is clear: Roger's tours are full of fire and brimson, and Dave's come off as sleepy retirement music from a very limp band. The setlists for Dave's tours also lacked self-awareness.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
azza200 wrote:
was

No one cares about the post-Waters albums, lol. Trending on Facebook is "Pink Floyd". You click it, and get Waters. that's reality.
Did you miss the two huge sell out tours they did whilst Waters was playing to half empty arenas? You don't help yourself do you. What you even doing in a Floyd forum..

And you've never been to Dave's gigs to button your fat yap , infant you probably haven't even seen Roger "live" (using that term loosely)
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:[
Yeah but he doesn't do an awful lot up on that stage does he? Hearing a few bass lines isn't going to give me chills, especially after witnessing 3 masterclasses in musicianship from Gilmour, which as a musician myself, I greatly appreciated

Yes, nothing says "master class" like Benedict Cumberpatch singing perhaps the greatest song ever penned.

And as a musician myself, the thing I respect most is original songwriting over virtuosity. There are lots of great players. Very, very few good songwriters.
You're not a musician though, I mean you might be able to strum an A chord on a guitar but reading some of your other comments it's abundantly clear you're not too clued up on making music.

How pedantic, as if using Cumberbatch on one song for one night takes away from Dave's tour. You're a simpleton with more air than brains between your ears
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Flathead wrote:
He set includes alot of songs where he is not even singing

He wrote the songs. It doesn't matter.

would I prefer David on those tracks? Duh. But that's not the reality.

However one thing is clear: Roger's tours are full of fire and brimson, and Dave's come off as sleepy retirement music from a very limp band . The setlists for Dave's tours also lacked self-awareness.
no there not his version i use One Of These Days as an example is fucking boring on these current shows Roger is doing. David's limp band :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 really Steve D is so much a better drummer then Graham Broad for one at least Davids band can improvise on songs unlike Rogers which are all clicked tracked & Roger mimes still.

One Of These Days on Davids tour is excellent compared to Rogers version which is dull and boring.

Roger's One Of These Days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wec10s-_vqU

David's
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKy8AG6gJDW/?hl=en
Last edited by azza200 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Rogers band are pretty good, but Dave's are better. Playing the same thing note for note every night is boring as fuck, that's what's really limp, lacks a spark, lacks creativity
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

''note for note'' is the real term...

Again solo David can sound Floydish, solo Roger can't, so all these songwriting credits I got doubt, don't even start me about songs where Rick plays 3 instruments all a the same time for the whole song and he doesn't have any writing credits like the whole Animals album, doesn't make much sense.

High Hopes outro solo is more moving than the whole solo career of Roger imo.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:''note for note'' is the real term...

Again solo David can sound Floydish, solo Roger can't, so all these songwriting credits I got doubt, don't even start me about songs where Rick plays 3 instruments all a the same time for the whole song and he doesn't have any writing credits like the whole Animals album, doesn't make much sense.

High Hopes outro solo is more moving than the whole solo career of Roger imo.
He knows this anyway, that's why when you call him out and counter his points he runs and hides before popping up with the same crap in another thread.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

azza200 wrote:
no there not his version i use One Of These Days as an example is fucking boring on these current shows Roger is doing. David's limp band :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 really Steve D is so much a better drummer then Graham Broad for one at least Davids band can improvise on songs unlike Rogers which are all clicked tracked & Roger mimes still.

One Of These Days on Davids tour is excellent compared to Rogers version which is dull and boring.

David's
Rogers version is as flat as a witches tit by comparison. He needs to drop it from his set and replace it with careful with that axe or set the controls, something he can participate in
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: Did you miss the two huge sell out tours they did whilst Waters was playing to half empty arenas? You don't help yourself do you. What you even doing in a Floyd forum..
You mean the "Mullet Tour"? Everything about the AMLOR period is an embarrassment, right down to the clunky 80's production live and in the studio.

And you've never been to Dave's gigs to button your fat yap , infant you probably haven't even seen Roger "live" (using that term loosely)
I loved TDB tour, although it did lack fire. Guy Pratt singing Roger's parts and dancing around on stage is painful.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

azza200 wrote: One Of These Days on Davids tour is excellent compared to Rogers version which is dull and boring.

David's

Disagree. The bass sounds much better on Roger's version...it sounds dirty and raw like the bass on the album (listen to him stab the first few lines....the twang is awesome).

David's band has way, way too much sterile studio session-musician sheen, which makes the songs very dull, and his albums even duller. his drummer is very soft, very inoffensive. Guy's bass sounds nothing at all like the raw sounds of Roger in the early 70's.

David on slide would make Roger's version way better, but Roger's has the heart, for sure. And it *sounds* like Pink Floyd, not Pink Floyd and a few session musicians.

Listen to that bass! Just so rangy and raw. Love it! Not the clinical sterility of Guy Pratt.
Last edited by Flathead on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote: Did you miss the two huge sell out tours they did whilst Waters was playing to half empty arenas? You don't help yourself do you. What you even doing in a Floyd forum..
You mean the "Mullet Tour"? Everything about the AMLOR period is an embarrassment, right down to the clunky 80's production live and in the studio.

I loved TDB tour, although it did lack fire. Guy Pratt singing Roger's parts and dancing around on stage is painful.
Sold out world tour though, so people clearly cared about it, mentioning hairstyles and guy Pratt dancing is desperate stuff.

Also Roger didn't play bass on the original one of these days so you've mugged yourself off there
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:
Also Roger didn't play bass on the original one of these days so you've mugged yourself off there

Roger played the left channel. Read more, and less TV.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: Sold out world tour though, so people clearly cared about it, mentioning hairstyles and guy Pratt dancing is desperate stuff.
The hairstyles just add to how completely outdated and crappy the entire thing was. Same for Radio Kaoss.