Yet Another Fan Edit...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Yet Another Fan Edit...

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Ooh, another fan edit of The Wall. Exciting...
I know this is a tired subject, but I thought I'd post this here anyway because that's what this place is about. Recently, after reading about the Wall Complete fan edit, I thought I might have my own hand at doing this, as The Wall always bothered me in terms of missed potential (especially Side 3. I found that side really boring.) I am more of a storyteller, so this edit of The Wall I put together is an attempt to clear up the story a little more in my mind. Where I felt the songs were cut up unnecessarily, I used a different source. I have kept the album within the four-side construction it had on the original album.

My sources are:
The Wall (2011 Discovery edition)
Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live
The Wall (Immersion edition) (two demo recordings are used in my edit)
The Final Cut (2011 Discovery edition)
Roger Waters The Wall
Off The Wall (the US promo EP)
We'll Meet Again: The Best of Vera Lynn (fashioned an alternate intro with the title track)

Tracklist:
SIDE A:
01. In The Flesh, Pt. 1
02. The Thin Ice
03. Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 1
04. When The Tigers Broke Free
05. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
06. Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2
07. Mother

SIDE B:
08. Goodbye Blue Sky
09. What Shall We Do Now?
10. Young Lust
11. One of My Turns
12. Don't Leave Me Now
13. Empty Spaces
14. Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 3
15. The Last Few Bricks
16. Goodbye Cruel World

SIDE C:
17. Is There Anybody Out There?
18. Your Possible Pasts
19. Nobody Home
20. Vera
21. The Fletcher Memorial Home
22. Bring The Boys Back Home
23. Comfortably Numb

SIDE D:
24. The Show Must Go On
25. In The Flesh, Pt. 2
26. Run Like Hell
27. Waiting for the Worms
28. Stop
29. The Trial
30. Outside the Wall
31. It's Never Too Late

If anybody at all wants to give it a listen, just float me a pm and I'll upload it to Google Drive or something. It's more or less a rough draft at this point, as there are still a couple of things I'm still moving about within the story. I'll give updates as to when I believe I've finished it as it comes along. I won't have a lot of time to focus on it though, as I have exams and stuff to do to graduate. As it stands, this edit took a total time of two hours to make.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Yet Another Fan Edit...

Post by Kerry King »

theaussiefloydian wrote:IDE C:
18. Your Possible Pasts
19. Nobody Home
20. Vera
23. Comfortably Numb
Fletcher Memorial Home should come after BTBBH.
theaussiefloydian wrote:30. Outside the Wall
31. It's Never Too Late
Nothing should ever follow Outside The Wall.

oh, and it's gotta be the long version of The Show Must Go On, and Is There Anybody Out There Part Three is essential!
:smt003
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Interesting project. What sources did you use for this tracks?

04. When The Tigers Broke Free (TFC or Echoes?)
09. What Shall We Do Now? (live or movie version?)
22. Bring The Boys Back Home (album or movie version?)
30. Outside the Wall (album or movie version?)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Kerry King wrote:
theaussiefloydian wrote:IDE C:
18. Your Possible Pasts
19. Nobody Home
20. Vera
23. Comfortably Numb
Fletcher Memorial Home should come after BTBBH.
theaussiefloydian wrote:30. Outside the Wall
31. It's Never Too Late

oh, and it's gotta be the long version of The Show Must Go On, and Is There Anybody Out There Part Three is essential!
:smt003
Everything done here is done either in terms of storytelling or pacing. Placing Fletcher in between BTBBH and Comfortably Numb breaks the pacing of Side 3 in my mind, so I put it in between Vera and BTBBH. I'm gonna be honest, I've never quite seen the point in BTBBH, but Waters insists it's essential to the album, so I kept it. Also I like the collage that makes up the second half. It's kinda creepy.
I kept 'It's Never Too Late' simply because I liked the sound of it, and I feel like it adds a little bit to 'Outside the Wall'.
And yes, 'The Show Must Go On' has the extra verse, but I removed the intro from it, mostly because I wanted to keep each side under 25 minutes.
And I have never heard 'Is There Anybody Out There, Pt. 3', much less 'Pt. 2'.
danielcaux wrote:Interesting project. What sources did you use for this tracks?

04. When The Tigers Broke Free (TFC or Echoes?)
09. What Shall We Do Now? (live or movie version?)
22. Bring The Boys Back Home (album or movie version?)
30. Outside the Wall (album or movie version?)
When the Tigers Broke Free - Final Cut, mostly because simplicity.
What Shall We Do Now? - Live version. It's got some punch to it.
Bring the Boys Back Home - Album, again for simplicity. This is going to sound odd, but I've not watched the film.
Outside the Wall - I actually used a demo of it from the Immersion Edition, as it segues straight into 'It's Never Too Late'.
As I've mentioned the edits are a bit rough, given that I threw it together in a total of two to three hours all added up, but it's a start.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

Hi, Aussiefloydfan!

Sounds interesting and I really appreciate your sharing why you made the choices you did. Restoring The Wall will do that to you. I know this first hand from my edit of The Wall Complete.

Hi, everyone else,
I strongly agree. I think the album version of Outside The Wall is perfect and the perfect ending to the album.

However... a guy called Atom Heart Soundscapes posted his own Wall reconstruction on Soundcloud a while back (how it escaped the Soundcloud copyright police this long I'll never know). He put everything at the end of his mix -- Outside The Wall, The Final Cut, It's Never Too Late. Personally, I think it all goes on too long -- like the musical version of the ending of Lord of the Rings. But it's really well done. It all fits together well and it really does sound great.

Here's a link to it at about 1' 47" mark:

https://soundcloud.com/atom-heart-sound ... ll-rebuilt

Shameless but relevant plug. If you haven't been there yet, please have a look at my website http://thewallcomplete.com. I've got a lot of my research on this very topic there.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

'It's Never Too Late' is really just another bit of 'Outside the Wall'. I get why people like the version on the album. In it's context, it works. However given that I have also changed the intro of the album, it seemed the right thing to do to change the end as well. Besides, as I said, I have worked this version to try and sell the story of the album, and 'It's Never Too Late', for me, does that reasonably well, giving one more hopeful glance at the whole situation. At present, I'm not sure if I'll work in the 'isn't this where' thing - I want to, I just need to figure out how. There is a lot of creative liberty with the beginning of it - I did away with the 'Outside the Wall' at the beginning of the record and replaced it with 'We'll Meet Again' by Vera Lynn.
That's a long way of describing my reasoning for 'It's Never Too Late'. It really comes down to the fact that I liked the tune. The biggest change that I had to justify was the removal of 'Hey You', really.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

I'm familiar with that version of "Outside The Wall". It's a somber one. Without hearing your mix, I'll bet it sounds good. And you're right... it works better when you restore "We'll Meet Again" to the top of the album.

I can see how trying to incorporate "Is There Anybody Out There?" Parts 2 and 3 back into Side 3 would be really difficult. I really like them, but the version of The Wall that those tracks came from is a looser album with more bluesy elements -- "Sexual Revolution" and that slower, seedier version of "Young Lust". Side 3 as we know it is really more orchestral if anything. I don't see where they could be added that would sound right with the rest of the side.

That's one of the things about "armchair record producing"... sometimes you've got to make those choices and decide what you'd add and what you'd leave out.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

I've just had a listen to my edit, and this is where it stands.
The order of the tracks is more or less locked in at this point. There are just a few little details that I want to change though:
- Change volume of the Vera opening
- Move phone call to beginning of 'Don't Leave Me Now'. I have a 'clean' version of 'Young Lust' and the recording from live albums, so that can be done.
- Clean up some of the segues, as they are a little rough sometimes.
- Use the live version of 'Goodbye Blue Sky' instead. Because the keyboard interlude.
- Use the 1980 live version of 'In the Flesh?' I have the Waters version right there, which isn't really fitting with the rest of it in my mind.
- Use the version of 'Tigers' from 'Echoes'. It's longer, so there's more to work with.
Once these changes are made, I'll upload them the edit to Google Drive, where anyone with the link can download. Just shoot me a pm anytime and I'll give the link... if that's legal here. If not I'll work something out.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

More news on the edit.
Thanks to another member of this community, I have a recording of the audio from The Wall film. Changes to my edit of the album (at this point known as 'The Last Few Bricks') will be made accordingly.
Second, I am working on another Floyd edit, this time surrounding The Division Bell and The Endless River. I love the edit Forever and Ever, but I have had my own ideas about it. I can't remember who it was (Gilmour or Mason), but one of them once stated that the original vision of The Division Bell was to have it as a double album - one record instrumental, one record of songs. I love this idea, so I got to work compiling what I thought that would have sounded like. Here is the tracklist:

SIDE A: INSTRUMENTAL, SIDE 1
01. Cluster One
02. Sum
03. Skins
04. Unsung
05. Night Light
06. Allons-y
07. Keep Talking, Pt. 1 (Talkin' Hawkin')

SIDE B: INSTRUMENTAL, SIDE 2
08. Marooned
09. Eyes to Pearls
10. Surfacing
11. Things Left Unsaid
12. It's What We Do
13. Ebb and Flow

SIDE C: SONGS, SIDE 1
14. Poles Apart
15. Take It Back
16. A Great Day for Freedom
17. Wearing the Inside Out

SIDE D: SONGS, SIDE 2
18. Keep Talking
19. Coming Back to Life
20. Lost for Words
21. High Hopes
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hey You?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

I think Hey You should be replaced by Sexual Revolution. Place SR maybe right after Young Lust. I also think Vera and BTBBH should be thrown out. ITAOT pt 3 is infinitely superior. Replace those 2 tracks with part 2 and 3 of ITAOT.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote:Hey You?
As much as I love Hey You in all its glory, in terms of the story I feel that it is sort of redundant.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

OK, there is a new version of this edit!
The most notable change is that I replaced the demo version of 'Outside the Wall/It's Never Too Late' with the film version of 'Outside the Wall', doing away with INTL entirely. Other than that, some of the transitions have been changed, extra bits from the film added, and some new sound effects thrown in on some songs for good measure. Once again, pm me if you're interested and I'll see what I can do to get it to you.
JHJAIME1980
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JHJAIME1980 »

I was wondering if I could get a copy of your fan edit. Thx
[email protected] you can send any links there thx for your hard work making it.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

JHJAIME1980 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:08 pm I was wondering if I could get a copy of your fan edit. Thx
[email protected] you can send any links there thx for your hard work making it.
Hi there! I have sent you an email with a link to a Google Drive folder with 4 MP3 files that contain my edit. Hope you enjoy, and I look forward to hearing what you think!