About Face Tour, extended (1984-1992)

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: About Face Tour, extended (1984-1992)

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Hadrian wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 pmIn Gilmour's case, I truly wish that all his solo albums were instrumental records devoted to his guitar playing, sound and style, a kind of thing that Joe Satriani is doing.
Old post, but when On An Island came out he said that naturally considers himself a vocalist as much as a guitarist, and enjoys it just as much. He's also said that he doesn't enjoy guitar playing when it's just to show off. If he'd only made instrumental solo albums, they ironically might not have featured more guitar playing, and would've just been slower numbers like Endless River - case in point, the several soundtracks he made in the early '90s, some of which ended up on Endless River.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pmYeah, you are right Snowy White played the lead guitar.

And, also don't forget the biggiest show of all time 'Roger Waters - Berlin 1990'. A plentiy of most famous guests artist at that time were there. Snowy played lead guitar in Berlin as well.
I read an interview from '85 yesterday, about the "Pros and Cons Plus Some Old Pink Floyd Stuff" tour, and Roger mentioned that Snowy was supposed to be on that tour but backed out - which is interesting because between then and the Wall tour, Snowy had a hit single as a solo artist!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I am going a bit OFF TOPIC in a Gilmour thread ...
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:41 pm ...
Maybe the only exception was in 1999, when he gave Marianne Faithful a song he'd supposedly written in 1968, called "Incarceration of a Flower Child" - notable for containing the same "Do you remember me / how we used to be" line and melody from "Your Possible Pasts". He also apparently played bass and keyboards on the track, but neither part is very...apparent.
I have just re-listened to the track and there are several elements that make the ears prick, the obvious lyric, the melody and I note a hint of 'If' and a hint of 'Brain Damage/Eclipse'. Was intrigued by the opening audio so I recorded and played the piece backwards ... the whole piece has a feel of Revolution by The Beatles various recordings by 'The Full Moon Scientists' plus the opening 30-seconds has some subtle and non-so-subtle cymbals.
Track227.mp3
Don't forget Roger also wrote 'Sparrows Will Sing' for Marianne in 2014 -

https://youtu.be/yHVFarjq-D0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.