Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder Standalone Release (November 2020)

Post by DarkSideFreak »

On my second listen to the double CD since buying the set for a rather good price. I'm digging this A LOT. <ii> The AMLOR tunes, which I've always felt were enormously strong (perhaps because the unofficial CD "Shine On - Live" was my first point of contact with them, and that has a better selection of the AMLOR songs and a louder audience than the somewhat dead sounding actual album), really come to life here. I've long since said that PULSE has the strongest rendition of "Sorrow" but now I'm not sure anymore. This version reminds me of an avalanche - it doesn't get faster or more frantic, but it keeps expanding and getting more intense. :shock:

The only thing that annoys me to a degree is the messing around with Money and ABITW. They should have simply been kept as-is. But since those already existed on the old CD, you can "fix" those parts to some degree.

All in all, I'm just extremely glad I took the plunge. Aside from those two tracks, this is exactly how I had always envisioned the live album should be. I love that they raised some of Rick's parts in the mix, which were often basically unaudible on the original mix. [-X

Hey, even "Time" - which I always felt was a weedy, unsatisfying version - sounds totally proper now. Well, apart from the stupid ending without "Breathe" but what can you do...
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the original version of Delicate Sound of Thunder, but this reissue has put it next to Pulse in terms of enjoyment (Pulse was for years my unequivocal favourite live album). I feel the songs are somewhat revitalized in this mix - they all have a new energy about them that I really like. I do have a couple of quibbles, such as the cutting down of "Signs of Life" and "Money" (though I'm in the camp of a 10 minute "Money" being slightly excessive so I'm not as annoyed about that), but what this mix adds to this album well makes up for it, from details like that note Machan Taylor hits on "On the Turning Away" to the entirety of "Welcome to the Machine". That track is a top 5 Floyd live recording for me now. I shelled out for the 3LP set of this album and I have no regrets at all.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:43 pm I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the original version of Delicate Sound of Thunder, but this reissue has put it next to Pulse in terms of enjoyment (Pulse was for years my unequivocal favourite live album). I feel the songs are somewhat revitalized in this mix - they all have a new energy about them that I really like. I do have a couple of quibbles, such as the cutting down of "Signs of Life" and "Money" (though I'm in the camp of a 10 minute "Money" being slightly excessive so I'm not as annoyed about that), but what this mix adds to this album well makes up for it, from details like that note Machan Taylor hits on "On the Turning Away" to the entirety of "Welcome to the Machine". That track is a top 5 Floyd live recording for me now. I shelled out for the 3LP set of this album and I have no regrets at all.
What I like about the three LP release is that it has all of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tunes...good to see they were really pushing that album, as they should have been at that time.

My only complaint is that Comfortably Numb on this set kind of sucks.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

battra wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 pm
theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:43 pm I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the original version of Delicate Sound of Thunder, but this reissue has put it next to Pulse in terms of enjoyment (Pulse was for years my unequivocal favourite live album). I feel the songs are somewhat revitalized in this mix - they all have a new energy about them that I really like. I do have a couple of quibbles, such as the cutting down of "Signs of Life" and "Money" (though I'm in the camp of a 10 minute "Money" being slightly excessive so I'm not as annoyed about that), but what this mix adds to this album well makes up for it, from details like that note Machan Taylor hits on "On the Turning Away" to the entirety of "Welcome to the Machine". That track is a top 5 Floyd live recording for me now. I shelled out for the 3LP set of this album and I have no regrets at all.
What I like about the three LP release is that it has all of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tunes...good to see they were really pushing that album, as they should have been at that time.

My only complaint is that Comfortably Numb on this set kind of sucks.
I still prefer the original DSOT mix of Comfortably Numb over this remix. The 1989 mix solo is better edited together and builds far better too the climax.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

battra wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 pm My only complaint is that Comfortably Numb on this set kind of sucks.
Honestly fair enough. To this day if it's a really good live Comfortably Numb I want I'll go listen to PULSE instead. But everything else on the 3LP set is fantastic - the new mix of "On the Turning Away" is far and away the best to me.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 pm
battra wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 pm My only complaint is that Comfortably Numb on this set kind of sucks.
Honestly fair enough. To this day if it's a really good live Comfortably Numb I want I'll go listen to PULSE instead. But everything else on the 3LP set is fantastic - the new mix of "On the Turning Away" is far and away the best to me.
No.

Guy Pratt...he was bad as a vocalist in Pink Floyd....but great for Nick Mason... I mean...what the hell?!

I can't tell you what the best Comfortably Numb live rendition I have is...and I have a bunch, as I'm certain we all do.

I think my fave is from The Wall 2015....sorry Dave's Pompeii, the guy doing Roger is closer to Kenny Rogers... and sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real.

;)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Makes me laugh people are always quick too slate Guy's vocals on this and 94 tours "oh not right for PF etc" yet some of people doing vocals on Rogers tour they say are the best take Dogs on Rogers U&T tour the guy doing lead vocals is such a whiney singer and not suited for all the songs he sings he has no rawness or anger in his vocals compared too Jon Carin who was far better back in 99-00.

I liked Chuck Leavell's take on Rogers vocals better then Van Morrison or Jonathon Wilson's awful vocals. Guy Pratt's vocals are better then those guys imo and i liked his vocals on Nicks tours
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm Guy Pratt...he was bad as a vocalist in Pink Floyd....but great for Nick Mason...
I quite disagree. I thought Guy did a fantastic job on "Run Like Hell", although his vocals for that track are a lot better on PULSE than they are on Delicate Sound of Thunder.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The turning up of ricks vocals and lowering Guy's/Jon's in the mix is awful Ricks vocals after the first solo on CN Ricks voice sounds robotic in the mix and it sounds crap
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm
theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 pm

No.

Guy Pratt...he was bad as a vocalist in Pink Floyd....but great for Nick Mason... I mean...what the hell?!

I can't tell you what the best Comfortably Numb live rendition I have is...and I have a bunch, as I'm certain we all do.

I think my fave is from The Wall 2015....sorry Dave's Pompeii, the guy doing Roger is closer to Kenny Rogers... and sorry Pink Floyds Is There Anybody Out There as it's not on vinyl...so it's not real.

;)
What about 2006 tour versions? I remember the one on the bonus DVD of "Remember That Night" having a very surprising and unusual solo. :shock:
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pm
battra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm

No.

;)
What about 2006 tour versions? I remember the one on the bonus DVD of "Remember That Night" having a very surprising and unusual solo. :shock:
Sorry, but I haven't heard those versions.

Was there a live album released that I didn't know about?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 pm Was there a live album released that I didn't know about?
From 2006 there was the Remember That Night concert film, and then in 2008 Live in Gdansk was from the same tour I believe.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv5M42BFHc

a superior solo and performance too the Bowie version
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 pmTo this day if it's a really good live Comfortably Numb I want I'll go listen to PULSE instead.
DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pmWhat about 2006 tour versions? I remember the one on the bonus DVD of "Remember That Night" having a very surprising and unusual solo. :shock:
Both of the DSOT and Pulse versions are too slow (right around 56 BPM), while Gilmour's later live versions matched the tempo from the album and the original tour (64 BPM). On the About Face tour, he split the difference (60 BPM). I do think that Rick's vocals on the 2006 tour are the best version, and he should've done it all along. Gdańsk is my favorite because it has Rick's vocals and the orchestra, though Wrocław also had an orchestra and was a live broadcast. Gilmour's appearance on Roger's tour featured the most mistakes of his career, but I imagine he could see Rog's interpretive dance over the edge of the wall was distracted and/or confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhzMF7uueUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-PUtx1vvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8JSR5r09zY
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »