Nick Mason loses his drumstick

Discuss Nick Mason, Drumming, Cars, Saucerful of Secrets touring band and more!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Nick Mason loses his drumstick

Post by space triangle »

Classic moment in Pink Floyd history.. As a someone who's been playing drums, I can tell you, how smoothly he grabs that new stick. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUjA_G75Mmw
mosespa

Re: Nick Mason loses his drumstick

Post by mosespa »

Every single time this scene comes up, I always pay extra special attention to see if I can hear any evidence of the video and the audio being two different takes...or that it's in some other way "covered up."

But there is none. Nick was/is just that freakin' smooth!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

It'a fascinating how he continues to play with one hand, while taking a new stick with the other hand. Welcome to the Nick's machine. 8)
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 pm Every single time this scene comes up, I always pay extra special attention to see if I can hear any evidence of the video and the audio being two different takes...or that it's in some other way "covered up."
There are a couple songs where he dubbed in parts on top of the main pattern, that I can think of: "Country Song" on Zabriskie Point (snare drum fill throughout), and "Have a Cigar" (hi-hat through the outro). On the '77 tour, he didn't play the hi-hat part at all, but it could still be heard on the tape of sound effects at the end (along with Gilmour's solo, even though Snowy was playing lead).
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 pm
mosespa wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 pm Every single time this scene comes up, I always pay extra special attention to see if I can hear any evidence of the video and the audio being two different takes...or that it's in some other way "covered up."
There are a couple songs where he dubbed in parts on top of the main pattern, that I can think of: "Country Song" on Zabriskie Point (snare drum fill throughout), and "Have a Cigar" (hi-hat through the outro). On the '77 tour, he didn't play the hi-hat part at all, but it could still be heard on the tape of sound effects at the end (along with Gilmour's solo, even though Snowy was playing lead).
That's not too uncommon either. I know Status Quo for instance recorded a few albums like that, with fills being overdubbed at a later stage.