Best Pink Floyd Books

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best Pink Floyd Books

Post by Keith Jordan »

What are your favourite Pink Floyd and related books? Here are a couple to start that I consulted recently.

For history...Nick Mason's Inside Out and Madcap by Tim Willis

For pictures... Barrett by Russell Beecher
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Re: Best Pink Floyd Books

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

For album artwork (minus The Wall) "Mind over Matter by Storm Thorgerson".

For a detailed account on Gilmour's Black Strat "The Black Strat" by technician Phil Taylor.

For an in-depth history of the recording of The Wall album, "Comfortably Numb, a History of The Wall 1978-1981" by Vernon Fitch and Richard Mahon.

For an in-depth history of the recording of The Final Cut album, look for the Vernon Fitch book "The Final Cut, A History of Pink Floyd 1982-1983".
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Pink Floyd, In the Flesh: The Complete Performance History by Glenn Povey is very interesting.

Keep in mind that regarding Echoes: Pink Floyd - The Stories Behind the Songs by Cliff Jones, Gilmour swiftly sued Jones in 1996, citing over 120 errors, "some careless, some very serious," according to Gilmour's lawyer. "We have also identified four serious libels of David Gilmour. The band take a very serious view of this and are furious." This was also published as Another Brick in the Wall: The Stories Behind Every Pink Floyd Song, also in 1996, and has all of the same errors.

Q magazine, 1999: Is it true you sued Cliff Jones, the singer in Gay Dad, when he wrote a book about Pink Floyd a couple of years ago?

DG: "He wrote a book - I've got it here actually, which purports to be the meaning behind every Pink Floyd song.... must have put it somewhere. And while having nothing personal against Cliff - gay or not - it was laughable. In the book, it purported to say the musicians and what instruments they played. Now in the earlier years, when it was usually me, Rick, Nick and Roger, they were slightly more accurate, although there were still hundreds of errors even then. And on the later stuff, on The Wall, the musician thing is incorrect on every single track. And the meanings behind most of the songs are completely wrong. I asked the publishers if they would withdraw it and I would help them correct it, but they refused. And so I sued them. It's such a lot of old toffee, really. What did I think of the Gay Dad single? I only heard it once. I can't even remember it now. It was um, memorable."
shoutinyoursleep
Axe
Axe

Post by shoutinyoursleep »

I'd suggest Miles: A Visual Documentary, its the best one for the photos I think of their shows through the years, there is many updated versions and is a great read, featuring copies of old reviews and news stories involving the band, I find their history very detailed too. Embryo: A Pink Floyd Chronology 1966 - 71 by Nick Hodges is also a great read covering the early Floyd era up to Meddle.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Ah yes, Miles: A Visual Documentary, its a good one that, nicely presented in a chronology with lots of photos. :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I can see what remains of my Miles A Visual Documentary.
Love it! Although I appear to have the first edition which only goes up to 1988.
The "21st Anniversary" edition apparently.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Okay...I guess I'll be the one to mention these:

"A Saucerful Of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey" by Nicholas Schaffner

"Bricks In The Wall" by Karl Dallas

Anyone know how I can get my mitts on a copy of the Fitch/Mahon book on The Final Cut?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

mosespa wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:33 am Okay...I guess I'll be the one to mention these:

"A Saucerful Of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey" by Nicholas Schaffner

"Bricks In The Wall" by Karl Dallas

Anyone know how I can get my mitts on a copy of the Fitch/Mahon book on The Final Cut?
I realise it's a limited appeal for a book, but only being available to buy to people who bought the Fitch/Mahon book about The Wall seemed a baffling business decision.
Of all the books, the one about The Final Cut looks the one I'd be most interested in reading. Is it still in print?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I've no idea. :(

As someone who purchased TWO copies of the "Wall" book, I was reasonably certain I'd get said notification of the publication of the "Final Cut" book; which I'd have probably bought two copies of (as I always know someone else for whom such a thing would make a great gift,) but if said notification ever came my way, I somehow missed it.

Seems to me that if they based it on sales of the Wall book, there should be two copies somewhere. *shrug*
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There are some new Pink Floyd books on the way for those interested. I ordered the Rob Verhorst one, looks interesting. :D

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/new- ... s-for-2021
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
The Rob Verhorst 'Archives' book is very good. The publishers, The Bee Smart Book Co., have announced a companion volume is to be published soon. The new book is 'The Nico Van Der Stam Archives' and promises to be a similar collection of historic images; this time covering 1967 to 1971.

https://www.floydstuff.com/product/5834 ... lland-book
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I have just done a count and I have over 50 various PF books excluding PF based magazine releases. I really like the Miles book I picked up in 1980 and the Vernon Finch Books. Also has a number of different Nick Mason Inside out books including a signed one by Nick and the limited edition Box set.