A Momentary Lapse of Reason
64%
Radio KAOS
36%

Total votes: 33

mosespa

Re: A Momentary Lapse of Reason vs Radio KAOS

Post by mosespa »

That's racist, white-supremacist, cultural appropriation and you should be publicly outed and shamed as a meanie-meanie, Nazifascist, White Supremacist. <ii> <ii> <ii> <ii>
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

mosespa wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:07 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:21 pm And A Momentary Lapse of Reason wins by a landslide!
And Britney Spears has still sold more copies of one album than the two of those combined.

What's your point?

Oh...I get it, you're trying to be an edgy misanthrope ("no reason to reproduce without a God, because keeping the human race going isn't a good enough reason,") who thinks that children are only good for molesting and you hate Donald Trump.

Democrat all the way, eh?

Do you still call other people "cultists" whilst voting blue, no matter who?
I saw a man in a shirt yesterday that said God, Guns, and Trump...then I saw another man who was wearing a shirt that had a shirtless Donald Trump on it wrestling an alligator.

Now, these men are the absolute definition of cultists in the Cult of Trump.

There has never been anything on the left that REMOTELY resembles that.

Me? I'll always want to vote for the left because I think things like workers' rights, a 5 day, 40 hour work week, voting rights, etc are all great things and the right wing opposes them.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

battra wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:56 pm

1. There has never been anything on the left that REMOTELY resembles that.

2. Me? I'll always want to vote for the left because I think things like workers' rights, a 5 day, 40 hour work week, voting rights, etc are all great things and the right wing opposes them.
1. Sure there has. "Vote Blue, No Matter Who" is just as bad. Even worse, really; because there's nothing to connect to other than the ideology.

2. The five-day and 40-hour work week were brought to you by Capitalists; not Leftists.

You'll continue voting for the Left because you're a member of their cult. Just own it, dude.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The fact that anyone believes we need that one particular person in office or everything will fall apart means it's a cult. It's also curious that none of them will vote for anyone else unless that one person endorses them. It's a goddamn cult.

I will vote against anyone pushing a religious agenda, because the separation of church and state is the one of the few things the founding fathers got right.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

So, what is the blind adherence to an ideology without a central figure?

What you describe is a Cult Of Personality (great song, by the way.) Which is a type of cult, but not the only type.

You Lefties are Cultists. So are the Righties.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm So, what is the blind adherence to an ideology without a central figure?

What you describe is a Cult Of Personality (great song, by the way.) Which is a type of cult, but not the only type.

Hey, I voted for John Kasich as a write-in. The options have not been good, especially since every primary candidate threw in the towel and kissed Trump's ring so the evangelicals wouldn't shun them.

By the way, it's very odd to whine about "leftists" on a Pink Floyd forum since the band themselves are in that camp.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm By the way, it's very odd to whine about "leftists" on a Pink Floyd forum since the band themselves are in that camp.
There seems to be an etymological difference between those who practice left-wing politics and "leftists". You're absolutely right that Pink Floyd have always been politically left wing, but when mosespa refers to leftists I believe he means the specific group who believe without hesitation that the Democratic Party is always good, always just, and never in the wrong. I can understand mosespa's argument that these people are functionally no different than the Trump cult, but I find I have to disagree. Yes, we did have that "not my president" bullshit in 2016/7, which was pretty daft, but for my money sticking your head in the sand and going "la la la la la", boneheaded though it is, is a lot less dangerous than the vitriol spread by the Trump cult. I had a friend who was in high school in a red state at the time, and the racism that she took from these kids who were already indoctrinated into the Trump personality cult was palpable.
"Vote Blue, No Matter Who" might be a cult, but it's one of political ignorance. The Trump personality cult is just looking for an excuse to push outdated and bigoted legislation, and for my money that will always make it far worse.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

The "not my president" bullshit started in 2008. Bumperstickers, t-shirts, shitty hand-painted plywood signs, you name it. People burned Obama effigies.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:53 pm The "not my president" bullshit started in 2008. Bumperstickers, t-shirts, shitty hand-painted plywood signs, you name it. People burned Obama effigies.
Apologies, I didn't know about that - I was only nine at the time.
However, that campaign - especially the Obama effigies - definitely sounds more rooted in racist motives. Can't say I'm overly shocked.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm By the way, it's very odd to whine about "leftists" on a Pink Floyd forum since the band themselves are in that camp.
Welcome to NPF. My name is mosespa, but you can call me "Mossy" for short, if you like. I've been "whining" about "Leftists" on this forum for probably longer than you've been alive. Only, I called them pussies and Collectivist Douchebags™ back then. May be time to dust those epithets off as they seem even more applicable today, then ever.

Doesn't Gilmour claim to be a "Tory?" Aren't they Right-Wing?

I notice that you didn't answer my question; how very Leftist/Democrat of you. Good job! You're doing the cult proud!
theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm 1. ...when mosespa refers to leftists I believe he means the specific group who believe without hesitation that the Democratic Party is always good, always just, and never in the wrong.

2. "Vote Blue, No Matter Who" might be a cult, but it's one of political ignorance. The Trump personality cult is just looking for an excuse to push outdated and bigoted legislation, and for my money that will always make it far worse.
1. You would be correct. I would also add "Authoritarian" and "Regressive Left" to the list; basically anyone who thinks that anyone who isn't an intellectual carbon copy of themselves must suffer until they "see the light" and "get woke" or whatever. They always seem to be on the Left. I only see support for Individualism coming from the Right. Which I find highly disturbing.

2. Still a cult, though; so no one in that cult has any business using the word "cultist" as a disparaging term, since they belong to one, themselves. Of course, they've long since stopped caring about anyone noticing any of their hypocrisy. They're only interested in power and they've proven that they'll do whatever it takes to get it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 pm I've been "whining" about "Leftists" on this forum for probably longer than you've been alive.
And Roger's been whining about Donald Trump since 1984. He'd probably spit in your face if he got the chance.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 pm Still a cult, though; so no one in that cult has any business using the word "cultist" as a disparaging term, since they belong to one, themselves.
This is an argument that, while I understand and even sympathize with its meaning, could be extended to mean anything, from political cults to even religion (as the kids say these days, "we live in a society").
mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 pm Of course, they've long since stopped caring about anyone noticing any of their hypocrisy. They're only interested in power and they've proven that they'll do whatever it takes to get it.
It can depend on personal reasoning. If it is the politicians themselves you are referring to I could not agree more - as I outlined elsewhere I fully believe that the Democratic Party lobbied for Biden because they knew he wouldn't change anything at all, or at least nothing of importance. However for the average plebian it can be one of two things - a need to feel superior, as you see with these internet performative activists who probably don't believe a word they say and simply like the feeling of making other people feel inferior, and people such as the ones I know personally, my friends. These people vote blue not out of party loyalty, but out of hope that they will enact change that will make sure that their lives are made a little better, be it financial support for those in poverty or changing policies that uphold bigotry and hatred. I would like to think the majority of blue voters are like this, and that the performative / hypocritical sect is just a very vocal minority.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'd like to think that, too...but here in the States, that "vocal minority" is who is effecting the most change. And the change which they are effecting is basically "BELIEVE AS I DO OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES."

I've lately taken great delight in pointing out to these people how much they resemble the Fundamental Christians of the 1980s. Anything which they don't like must be erased, anyone who doesn't share their ideology must be ostracized.

Funny how the worm keeps turning, isn't it?
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm So, what is the blind adherence to an ideology without a central figure?

This is why I try to go down the middle.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:37 pm I'd like to think that, too...but here in the States, that "vocal minority" is who is effecting the most change.
True on both sides. Not every conservative is a lunatic Trump cultist. Not every liberal bats for the Democrats regardless of what they say. But alas they are the louder.