Pink Floyd / David Gilmour ripping off The Alan Parsons Project & others?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Eclipse

Re: Pink Floyd / David Gilmour ripping off The Alan Parsons Project & others?

Post by Eclipse »

WebBrown wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:25 pm Ok I will try, thanks for advice ? Have you had read something from C.Castaneda since I think both Alan Parson and PF share very much same concept, although Castaneda is much more detailed since it is a book, of course ?
Yes, Catañeda was indeed a huge inspiration for Pink Floyd's 1975 seminal album i Ojalá Estuvieras Aqui !
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

:lol:
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Maybe something was lost in the translated Pink Floyd lyrics he's been reading.
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I did not say they were inspired directly then more as a same thing like Piper, Obsecured by clouds, Sarcesfull of secrets and other such as eclipse, so I must agree Wish you were here too … I think one of twelve books is titled as Eagle’s gift, but I think a lot people here are familiar with …
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:53 pm Maybe something was lost in the translated Pink Floyd lyrics he's been reading.
I know you’ll follow , so consider me as nothing at all … It is funny thing what people could think about DSOTM …
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Sarcesfull of secrets is really cool but i prefer teh live versions in omaggomaa
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

WebBrown wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:25 pm Ok I will try, thanks for advice ? Have you had read something from C.Castaneda since I think both Alan Parson and PF share very much same concept, although Castaneda is much more detailed since it is a book, of course ?
I haven't but I think my father is quite fond of him O:) But he has read more books than I'll probably ever manage, so... :-;
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I think I have nothing to say now, except what live version of ummagumma, could you have pointed to me ? I was listen it as a kid and I think it was a way to much experimental ?
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:32 pm Sarcesfull of secrets is really cool but i prefer teh live versions in omaggomaa
It is a good stuff and I like opening with Astronomy Domine, even If I have listen to most of it on other compilations I found it is quite different and a lot better then ummagumma that I own as a kid …
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 pm
WebBrown wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 pm I really think knowledge fails when it comes to somebody who is nothing since his wish came straight from a heart and it will prove us all …

I think even if I was in doubt at first I really like here, so Keep talking…
Btw, great info …

I have heard that Alan Parson has this bound to some kid who was a bit good in programming and to who Division Bell is directly dedicated so I think it might be, you know …
I'm sorry but I have real trouble understanding your posts. If English isn't your most fluent language, you might try using a translator like translate.google.com or https://www.deepl.com/translator :-;
Thank the Maker that someone finally said it! *phew*
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

I really do not need to prove my self worthy since I really consider myself as “nothing or nobady” and I think of it most honestly as I am same as a dead man, so I guess I lost my self-importance long time ago … I am just here to fill some empty spaces and I could act only against sorrow or pride as one being …
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

High Hopes is so cheaply similar to the Raven, in the chorus melody, that I can't hear the song with the same love again.
It is awesome, the ending solo incredible, Gilmour could have avoided such similar melody to the AP track.
Curious thing is that prog rock band Eloy used to rip off both Pink Floyd (for example, the songs Poseidon's Creation and Master of Sensation - both rip different parts of SOYCD) and Alan Parson's too (they rip their song I Robot in the opening of the album Colours)
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:46 pm High Hopes is so cheaply similar to the Raven, in the chorus melody, that I can't hear the song with the same love again.
It's one line. The first line of the verse from The Raven is pretty much the same melody line used in the High Hopes chorus. That's it. That same melody line (5 tones on HH: the grass was green-er) with the same duration of each note can likely be found elsewhere in music from before The Raven. It seems extremely unlikely that APP were the first to use that simple melody. Mathematically, the odds are extremely high that the melody line has been recorded in some form before. Maybe by a piano or woodwind. Or brass. Or strings. It doesn't have to be a vocal.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Eclipse wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:46 pm High Hopes is so cheaply similar to the Raven, in the chorus melody, that I can't hear the song with the same love again.
It's one line. The first line of the verse from The Raven is pretty much the same melody line used in the High Hopes chorus. That's it. That same melody line (5 tones on HH: the grass was green-er) with the same duration of each note can likely be found elsewhere in music from before The Raven. It seems extremely unlikely that APP were the first to use that simple melody. Mathematically, the odds are extremely high that the melody line has been recorded in some form before. Maybe by a piano or woodwind. Or brass. Or strings. It doesn't have to be a vocal.

true. thanks for this, perhaps i was exaggerating.
indeed, similar things also happen in riffs, for example.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

This thread is ridiculous. The Raven and High Hopes have nothing to do with each other. I listen to High Hopes all the time but hadn’t listen to The Raven in decades so for the sake of this thread I listened to it 3 times the other day desperate to hear a similarity. Maybe I’m musically inept but I just don’t hear it and if anything is there saying David ripped it off is probably a stretch as it’s clearly n insignificant part of the song.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Again, I immediately regret listening to anything referenced on this forum. "The Raven" has very few musical ideas, and it runs each one of them into the ground.