News about Roger's memoir !

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

News about Roger's memoir !

Post by thefinalmutt »

Roger's nearing the end of work on his long-awaited memoir !
Apparently the book should come out in 2022 !
[-D-] [-D-] <ii> [-D-] [-D-]

source : (2nd question)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkENFhA4RPc

I can't be the only one who's excited for this ! (provided some of you are still around :( )
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: News about Roger's memoir !

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

thefinalmutt wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:31 pm I can't be the only one who's excited for this !
You might be. I think it'll be annoyingly petty. I also suspect he will simply skip over a lot of his solo years outside of Pink Floyd-related litigation.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I still haven't gotten around to picking up Steve Hackett's autobiography.
As for Roger's, truth. Lies. So it'll be somewhere in the middle. Expecting a lot of old man shouts at cloud moments.
Might wait for the paperback.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I doub't he is going to have much nice to say about people and things, but I am rather looking forward to it anyway.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

damn, you're all so pessimistic. Sure, there will be pettiness and old-man-shouting-at-cloud moments. It's part of his character, so it'll end up in his autobiography. But Roger's also written some beautifully vulnerable things, some surprisingly romantic poetry, and is also very, very good at telling stories, especially personal ones. (the spoken parts in Leaving Beirut...) That's what i'm excited for. I see no reason why this wouldn't end up in the book too, and even if it only makes up 50% of the total text it's still well worth reading, in my view.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:53 pm he will simply skip over a lot of his solo years outside of Pink Floyd-related litigation.
I honestly don't think so. A lot happened in his life professionally & psychologically, during the Pros & Cons era when he was going solo for the 1st time and trying to sell tickets while realizing that nobody knew who he was ; and between the feud years and his 'comeback' in 2010, he did The Wall in Berlin, released Amused To Death, got divorced, got married again, recorded Ça Ira, had a child and got divorced again. Loads to talk about, and in fact, he's already discussed in interviews the personal importance of most of these events. If he's going to write his personal story it's safe to assume that he'd include them. No ? :smt102
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I can't find the story but Roger has recently got engaged again to another woman.
His last actress wife went on record calling him an arsehole. :lol:
I might buy the book as you just know there'll be redactions in future prints of it.
Who else but Roger?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

thefinalmutt wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:46 pm Loads to talk about, and in fact, he's already discussed in interviews the personal importance of most of these events.
He's also discussed in interviews how he'd never write an autobiography, specifically because he'd have to cover all of "that old band stuff." I think this will mainly focus on successes that he wants credit for, and that will be more than enough to fill a hefty volume. He'll make room for some early '60s stories, a la "Leaving Beirut" and anything involving Syd or other rockstars that will make himself seem cool and totally not an arsehole, but he'll get bogged down with tedious technicalities like in his 1988 Penthouse exposé. The Berlin concert quite literally bankrupted and shut down a charity, so he won't dwell on that. His 'comeback' was in 1999 - he played 220-some shows between then and the start of his Wall tour, not to mention Live 8 and Coachella - those tours just confirmed that no one is interested in reading about the making of Radio KAOS or Ca Ira, and he's okay with that. His book will breeze over marriages that lasted longer than his stint in Pink Floyd. He's trying to reach Pink Floyd fans and become relevant once more before he kicks the bucket.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Roger's lost a lot of my favor in recent years, but I'll still throw money at him for this, whether it's shite or not.

I'll buy a book from someone before I buy their latest album, apparently *shrug*
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

Roger's claiming Time to be his own baby... Four divorces, age and a band split up didn't mellow him at all. However, I'll skip the inevitable 2022 live album and buy the book instead.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

He is also going to be slating David going by his last video in the book discrediting his input on songs and albums and saying its all his ideas etc It will be biased to make him look "great" and the others not so great and that they did do nothing ](*,)
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 am He's also discussed in interviews how he'd never write an autobiography, specifically because he'd have to cover all of "that old band stuff."
What's your point ? "It would be too much hard work. I couldn't write an autobiography without going through that whole thing with the band'' and "Well, yes I do give a shit actually. I probably always will but I can't face going through it all again" sound to me like someone who isn't uninterested, but can't be bothered. The interview was in 1992. Seems like he can now. Also, since then he's discovered he actually enjoys writing prose at lot, and Nick's released his account of the PF story, about which, as you surely know, Roger has a few things to say.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 am The Berlin concert quite literally bankrupted and shut down a charity, so he won't dwell on that.
Did it really ? The disaster relief thing ?
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 am -His 'comeback' was in 1999
-He's trying to reach Pink Floyd fans and become relevant once more
Yes. OK. It was indeed. What I meant is that he only regained a level of popularity similar to that of the PF days around the time of his Wall tour.
Of course he's addressing PF fans ! It's going to be one of the main subjects of the book, cause it's one of the main of his life ! There's nothing illegitimate about him writing his own story of the band he was a pillar of, even more so than Nick if we're being honest. (though I'm GLAD Inside Out exists)
PF fans =/= RW fans, but RW fans = PF fans. Or exceptions but be very rare. Have you ever met a John Lennon fan who disliked the Beatles ?
At this point Roger could be just breathing and you'd take that as proof he's an asshole.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 am before he kicks the bucket
I'm assuming this is just a phrase for 'dying' and you don't actually think he's suicidal ? :lol: (not a native speaker)
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Talked to a friend who owns a small publishing house - he received an offer for the translation of the book out "to coincide with Roger's tour in 2022"...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

crofloyd wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:32 pm Talked to a friend who owns a small publishing house - he received an offer for the translation of the book out "to coincide with Roger's tour in 2022"...
That is a good piece of inside information. I hope he writes some nice things, and witty things, not just mean things about Pink Floyd members. <.8.>
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I doubt this is going to really be any more informative than Nick Mason's book was (and I think that book is as close to an unbiased record of the history of that band as we're ever going to get), but I'd be curious about how Waters spins it.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:15 pm
crofloyd wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:32 pm Talked to a friend who owns a small publishing house - he received an offer for the translation of the book out "to coincide with Roger's tour in 2022"...
That is a good piece of inside information. I hope he writes some nice things, and witty things, not just mean things about Pink Floyd members. <.8.>
I'm sure it will be witty mean things! :)