News about Roger's memoir !

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Re: News about Roger's memoir !

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

Do you think this book will need to be fact-checked by the parties involved?
I mean, Mason's book was reviewed and commented by Gilmour and Waters before publication. So I wonder if someone in the publishing/legal worlds can give us some light about how things work in that case. Since such book will surely have lots of pages on Pink Floyd and its members, it only seems natural that Gilmour's team have a look at it to corroborate the facts... If not, they will be ready to sue when it's released.
Anyone knows?
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

I doubt he has anything new to say about his bandmates. If his liner notes to the new Animals are any indication I think it's fairly predictable what those of you who read this thing are going to find.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:19 pm I doubt he has anything new to say about his bandmates. If his liner notes to the new Animals are any indication I think it's fairly predictable what those of you who read this thing are going to find.
True, which means the chapters relating to the 1985-1987 stretch are gonna be fricken' hilarious.
thefinalmutt
Axe
Axe

Post by thefinalmutt »

Niebla de Fuego wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:53 pm Do you think this book will need to be fact-checked by the parties involved?
I mean, Mason's book was reviewed and commented by Gilmour and Waters* before publication. So I wonder if someone in the publishing/legal worlds can give us some light about how things work in that case.
*and Rick !

Inside Out was about the story of PF. I know it says 'a personal history of Pink Floyd', but it was still intended as a comprehensive, general account of the whole thing. (Not that it's actually unbiaised though) It was never intended as Nick's memoir. That's why he submitted his draft to the other members, and why the book contains anecdotes in which he wasn't involved at all. That being said, this approach was his decision and it wouldn't have been illegal in any way to rely solely on his point of view and still call it a history of PF, however dishonest. (At least I don't think so ? It's not libel or anything ...)

On the other hand, Roger's book is absolutely an autobiography, so by definition his perspective only. And even though we can expect him to discuss his version of events at length, it won't talk about everything, and will contain a lot of non-PF stuff. It's not a book about PF, it's a book about RW. Hopefully the roasting will be kept to a minimum... :roll:
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Roger did not approve of Nick's book, but Nick did not need his approval. Dave and Rick actually delayed the process throughout the late '90s because they weren't happy with it. It's likely a large part of the reason they didn't make another studio album after the Division Bell tour.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

I'm looking forward to the chapter about his invention of the Rock Spectacles.