Pink Floyd Chart Positions: Singles and Albums

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd Chart Positions: Singles and Albums

Post by Keith Jordan »

www.officialcharts.com

I was browsing the UK Charts website and it says the Pink Floyd only had one number 1 single (Another Brick in the Wall) and only 2 in the top 10 (adding See Emily Play).

Obviously they are an album band but they did release a lot of singles. Why were the singles not more successful?

6 number 1 albums is more like it of course. Atom Heart Mother; Wish You Were Here; The Final Cut; The Division Bell; PULSE and The Endless River. There are some excellent albums omitted from that list!!! Are you surprised by this?

Eclipse

Re: Pink Floyd Chart Positions: Singles and Albums

Post by Eclipse »

I'm actually quite surprised, since they indeed managed to reach a wide audience that listens to all kinds of music, plus they are being discovered over and over again through the generations.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Dark Side went straight in at #2 ( kept off the top slot by 20 Flashback Greats Of The Sixties) and stayed there for 1 week and then there was a steady drop down the charts. It rallied a bit in the mid chart and even dropped out the top 50 in October '73 it then re-entered and bobbed around the mid tables for the next year or so
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

There were tracks like Flaming and The Nile Song released abroad. A chronological singles compilation from UK and abroad charts. I'd prefer on one long CD, but I see how box sets are popular.
I'd buy that CD version
. But if fighting over Animals still you'd never get the ego to agree to what they think were rubbish tracks.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

They did have a lot of songs that were #1 on Billboard's Album Rock Tracks, which measures radio play in the U.S. rather than sales; "Keep Talking" held the top spot for 6 weeks straight, for example. Like Led Zeppelin, they really didn't want to put out singles, but couldn't control what the record companies released outside of the UK. They may have released 27 singles over the years, but some of those were only sold in a handful of non-English-speaking countries. "Album-Oriented Rock" was their genre. If you look at what was at the top of the charts in the mid-'70s, you'll see a lot of really stupid shit that has not aged well.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am They did have a lot of songs that were #1 on Billboard's Album Rock Tracks, which measures radio play in the U.S. rather than sales; "Keep Talking" held the top spot for 6 weeks straight, for example. Like Led Zeppelin, they really didn't want to put out singles, but couldn't control what the record companies released outside of the UK. They may have released 27 singles over the years, but some of those were only sold in a handful of non-English-speaking countries. "Album-Oriented Rock" was their genre. If you look at what was at the top of the charts in the mid-'70s, you'll see a lot of really stupid shit that has not aged well.
That's extraordinary! I never knew that. Which makes the case for an International (at least) singles compilation so obvious.
Just another old man
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Just another old man »

Shocked to learn this ! But as I consider myself as a bit of a music connoisseur . PF has got to be the top 3 or 4 bands of all time ! No band has put out back to back to back great albums of all times across so many age groups and generations . Yes it can be debated whose #1 but boy you'd be hard pressed not to consider them .
RubberBallMan-1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by RubberBallMan-1 »

You might enjoy this UK singles chart history video I’ve made. Their success was far too brief tbh.

https://youtu.be/aZULLiioLxo
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

After their single Point Me At The Sky (1968) flooped completely the band was a quait frustrated and they even announced that they would no longer realese the singles for the Europe market. That was how it was until the huge success of Another Brick In The Wall part 2 single. They would no have released even ABITW part 2 as a single if Bob Erzin hadn't insisted.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

No. I'm not really surprised.

The thing about Floyd was never their out of the gate combustible hits, but their long term staying power.

Which is why they're still relevant today without the classic lineup having release anything in over 40 years.