Folk Music recommendations?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Eclipse

Folk Music recommendations?

Post by Eclipse »

Please, people, could you give me some suggestions on folk music to discover?
I know very little, almost zero. I know some key names, such as Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, and even those I know only a couple of tracks.
I love the "folk" sound, though, from the few songs I've heard. I'd love any recommendations, be it more known, be it more obscure stuff.
Thanks!
mosespa

Re: Folk Music recommendations?

Post by mosespa »

I'm not sure that he's really, technically "folk," but I really dig "Cape Canaveral" by Conner Oberst. Liked it enough that I bought the album and as I recall, there are a few other really good tracks on it.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

mosespa wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:25 pm I'm not sure that he's really, technically "folk," but I really dig "Cape Canaveral" by Conner Oberst. Liked it enough that I bought the album and as I recall, there are a few other really good tracks on it.
thank you.

by the way, I loved that song you posted some months ago. Please tell me you are continuing to do that stuff. THNX again.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I don't know what you exactly mean by folk music. It comes in many forms even like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqFpbo_K2Eg
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:36 pm

thank you.

by the way, I loved that song you posted some months ago. Please tell me you are continuing to do that stuff. THNX again.
You're welcome!

That particular project has evolved into something else and I have returned to my own music. I'm presently focusing my energies on an album project of my own, though (with some help from forum user cwta_eugene,) and believe me, I'll be letting every here know when it's available. 8)
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

mosespa wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:36 pm

thank you.

You're welcome!

That particular project has evolved into something else and I have returned to my own music. I'm presently focusing my energies on an album project of my own, though (with some help from forum user cwta_eugene,) and believe me, I'll be letting every here know when it's available. 8)

yeah, man, follow your solo career. Bands are always a waste of band. Make it the MosProject.
I have an goth-metal-ukele-jazzy solo project, I play ukele with gutural vocals. Also, the lyrics are about the behaviour of dogs near barbecue parties.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Here are a few of my favourites:

Joni Mitchell, Donovan, Fairport Convention, Bruce Cockburn, Roy Harper, Steeleye Span, Magna Carta, Nick Drake, Bridget St. John, Lindisfarne, Mellow Candle, The Incredible String Band, Perth County Conspiracy, Harmonium

Like the ones you mentioned, for some of these artists, not necessarily everything they have done could be considered folk, but it is at the root of what they do. Hope yo find something there to enjoy! This is only the tip of the iceberg and even the ones I've mentioned are predominately from the Canadian and British folk traditions...every country and culture has its own folk traditions and artists to explore!
Elgoulin
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Elgoulin »

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Recently I found an unusual group from Ukraine.
The Wicker Man - Sentience
I hope you will like it.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

thanks people for the suggestions! I'm going to try those, to expand my "folky horizons"
cheers!