Life phases: Meeting new music versus Nostalgia

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Eclipse

Life phases: Meeting new music versus Nostalgia

Post by Eclipse »

I noticed that recently I have been more focused on listening to the music I "grew up" (or, better saying, since around my 14's) listening to: mainly prog bands, Genesis, King Crimson, PF, and other rock bands like Doors.
After first discovering those bands, which opened the doors for me to explore more and more music, I then have ventured into other genres (a lot of metal, jazz, other rock bands, even classical) over the years, but the "nostalgia factor" is VERY strong with PF, Genesis and King Crimson especially.

In my 20's I was hungry for meeting new music, new bands, new genres. Nowadays, in my 30's, I prefer returning to those few bands that changed my view on music and deeply touch me; and don't feel so much curious or interested on discovering new music.

Did you ever feel a "dividing line" between being hungry for new music, and then switching to focusing more on the bands that resemble those special days in our lives that you started discovering amazing bands?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Life phases: Meeting new music versus Nostalgia

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

There was a study done about this:

Yet another reason not to have kids.

It basically confirmed that people's musical tastes get "locked in" by their early 30s, though later for women than men, and having any number of children effectively halts the discovery of new music.

https://skynetandebert.com/2015/04/22/m ... lar-music/

I'm sure my wife and I are anomalies anyway, since we're at opposite ends of ours 30s, have no children, but listen to very much the same music. I still seek out...not necessarily new, but things I've never heard before, and some of that makes its way into the rotation; some does not, and becomes a guilty pleasure that I only turn on when she's not in the car. Her bullshit meter is always on, so she's less tolerant of weak or repetitive songwriting, even when it's, say, one of the Beatles.

There are things that I loved as a teenager that I can't take seriously as an adult, like The Doors. There are other things that I'm only now getting around to fully exploring, like some of Jack Bruce's later solo albums, despite being a big fan for decades. Thanks to the Get Back documentary, I've had to dig back into the Beatles' catalog and reevaluate each member's contributions on their own, and some of it is fairly embarrassing for how famously popular it is. But I'm still a very active listener, and not just listening to the same albums over and over again.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Life phases: Meeting new music versus Nostalgia

Post by drafsack »

I listened to PF non stop for about 30 years then in around 2000 started listening to things like the Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Dandy Warhols, Grandaddy and Chainsaw Kittens. Lately I have been going back and listening to early 70's music from Faust, Can & Edgar Winters etc. Hardly ever listen to PF at the moment and haven't for the last 20 years