Hey Hey Rise Up

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Hey Hey Rise Up

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

"Gah!! I was at work and unable to make the thread!" thinking aside, from midnight tonight (7th of April)....
What's been billed as the first piece of new Pink Floyd music since The Division Bell. (The Endless River still had overdubs...)

https://www.loudersound.com/news/pink-f ... ey-rise-up

So it's essentially a Ukrainian tribute of Gilmour with vocals from a Ukrainian act.
Nick will be on it. Guy Pratt and keyboards from Nitin Sawhney.
Midnight tonight "Hey Hey Rise Up" unveiled. <.8.>

Not been following Roger Waters YouTube blogs, has he said anything interesting lately?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Hey Hey Rise Up

Post by Hadrian »

Yes indeed, new track and a new studio single from Pink Floyd right now in 2022.

I have been saying this for years, they (David and Nick) could still do something as Pink Floyd if they really wanted to, both in studio and live, there is nothing really stopping them to be Pink Floyd except David's lack of interest at this point. I am not particularly trilled it had to be politics to make this happen, but David clearly feels strongly about this (Ukrainian daughter-in-law and grandchildren) so it took a war to get more Pink Floyd at this stage.

They could've given us so much more over the last 28 years - and they still can.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Less than three minute warning until goes live on YouTube!!!
All hands
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

That was incredible and I'd take an album of more Floyd out of it
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

nice, thanks for posting.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Well, I enjoyed the guitar solo parts, and as far as that goes, we are in The Endless River sonic waters still, which is expected, of course.
henno

Post by henno »

Fantastic cause. Well done lads
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

One comment on the personnel: beyond the band members (David Gilmour and Nick Mason), we have Guy Pratt on bass, which is expected, but I am somewhat surprised that instead of Jon Carin on the keyboards we had someone previously unaffiliated (Nitin Sawhney). It seems that something big happened in 2016 after all, not just the prearranged scheduling changes to the tour band?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Can't believe I missed that, but at least I can catch up on YouTube :-)

Nice chaps them Pink Floyd.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pink ... or-ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... rt-ukraine

Prior to the band’s unexpected reconvening, Pink Floyd’s post-1987 output – and the solo work of their late founder, Syd Barrett – was removed from streaming services in Russia and Belarus as part of a cultural boycott. Their most famous work, from the 1960s and 70s, was not removed, leading to rumours that moves to do so had been blocked by former Pink Floyd member Roger Waters, whose relations with his former bandmates are legendarily strained. A week before Russia invaded Ukraine, Waters told an interviewer on Russia Today that talk of a Russian invasion was “bullshit ... anybody with an IQ above room temperature knows [an invasion] is nonsense”; he has subsequently condemned the invasion calling it “the act of a gangster”, while also condemning “propaganda to demonise Russia”. It’s a subject on which Gilmour won’t be drawn. “Let’s just say I was disappointed and let’s move on. Read into that what you will.”
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:18 pm
It’s a subject on which Gilmour won’t be drawn. “Let’s just say I was disappointed and let’s move on. Read into that what you will.”
So the return could also be about sticking two fingers up at Waters for his response as well as sending money to aid? That could be just me reading into it though.
Also curious that David's reversed himself on his position about Pink Floyd's existence without Rick. He's always been adamant that the band can't exist without him... (though maybe he now feels that so long as Pink Floyd has something to say they can still exist? If so then that's a sentiment I can also respect, but it for sure wouldn't be the same Pink Floyd without Rick...)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

They are using the Pink Floyd "brand reach" to help publicise the cause. I have no problem with that. :)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Charts get updated on Friday. I know the chart figuration are all broken out with Top 40, Top 100, Physical charts etc.
But we'll know if it does anything chart wise (mere irrelevance compared to cause) by 19.00GMT this Friday.
Although I haven't bought the single yet.
Dare we dream of a second UK No.1?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 am Dare we dream of a second UK No.1?
That would be fantastic. Get some of that awful "new music" out of the way from the top position! :D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

https://youtu.be/jUfVmtAvfdg

Lyric video. I hope it does well because that's an amazing David Gilmour solo to make a song! Pennies drop further once I've saw exactly as close to what it's going on about.