Hey Hey Rise Up

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Hey Hey Rise Up

Post by Hadrian »

[The single] will also feature a newly reworked version of A Great Day For Freedom taken from The Division Bell. David Gilmour has reworked the song using the original tapes which feature Nick Mason on drums and Richard Wright on keyboards, along with backing vocals from Sam Brown, Claudia Fontaine and Durga McBroom.

Most interesting, more Pink Floyd studio work in 2022 as a follow up. I am very curious what reworked actually means here. If anyone followed one of the recent TV interviews, Gilmour actually did not dismiss the possibility of Pink Floyd taking the stage somewhere for a humanitarian relief concert either.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:02 pm Physical release!! Backed with "A Great Day For Freedom".
I suspected that either that or "On the Turning Away" would be the B-side for a hypothetical physical release.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Released today for a limited time reminder!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I hope it does well in the charts. :D
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Just picked up my copy from my local record shop <ii>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

What are people's thoughts on the new version of A Great Day for Freefom?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Its ok i prefer the original the mix of old and new vocals is a bit distracting but i prefer the original mix the guitar outro is better sounding on this new mix
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

Keith Jordan wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:07 pm What are people's thoughts on the new version of A Great Day for Freefom?
I.... don't really get what the point was on "reworking" it in such way. It sounds very weird. At first I thought the vocals were lifted from one of the many Gilmour solo concerts, but apparently they're not. In any case you can clearly hear it is like a mix of several vocal takes, and not very consistent. It's incredibly distracting if you're used to the original Division Bell version.

Was there any sort of legal limitation on the use of the original version, so that Gilmour had to re-record the vocals and remix the old instrumental track? (kind of what happened with Collection of Great Dance Songs?) If someone knows please let us know.
PinkFloydCollectors
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloydCollectors »

It’s to do with some grievance with Jon carin, I’m not allowed to say too much but all his parts were removed..
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Why wait 30 years for this bullshit? There is some stuff on Reddit explaining what’s going on. It’s just sour grapes as far as I can tell
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

First top 20 appearance for

https://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd-on- ... ts-3271386
NEWS
Pink Floyd on track for rare top 20 appearance in charts
The track was released earlier this year to draw attention to Russia's invasion of Ukraine and to raise funds for those affected by the war

By
Elizabeth Aubrey
18th July 2022

Pink Floyd are on course for a rare top 20 appearance in the charts, making it their first in 42 years.
Released in March this year, ‘Hey, Hey, Rise Up!’, the band’s first original material since 1994’s ‘Division Bell’ album. The track was released to draw attention to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and to raise funds for those affected by the war, with all proceeds from the song donated to Ukrainian Humanitarian Relief.
The song peaked at number 49 in the charts in April following its digital-only release.

Now, after the rollout of physical copies of the track, it’s looking to be at number 18 according to ‘First Look’, which ranks songs based on their sales and streams (via Billboard).

If it continues to sell and stream at a similar pace to now, it means Pink Floyd will have their first top 20 appearance in the charts since 1979’s ‘Brick In The Wall’ this week.

‘Hey Hey Rise Up’ was recorded in March of this year. In addition to featuring David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason, bassist Guy Pratt and keyboardist Nitin Sawhney, it also features a recording by Andriy Khlyvnyuk, the singer of Ukrainian band Boombox. Khlyvnyuk can be heard singing the patriotic Ukrainian song ‘The Red Viburnum’ in Sofiyskaya Square, in the nation’s capital of Kyiv.

In a statement, Gilmour – who has a Ukrainian family – explained that the band released the song to draw attention to the war and to raise money for humanitarian efforts.

“We want to express our support for Ukraine and in that way, show that most of the world thinks that it is totally wrong for a superpower to invade the independent democratic country that Ukraine has become,” Gilmour said.

“We, like so many, have been feeling the fury and the frustration of this vile act of an independent, peaceful democratic country being invaded and having its people murdered by one of the world’s major powers.”

In March, Gilmour and Pink Floyd removed their music from streaming services in Russia and Belarus to show their support for Ukraine. “Russian soldiers, stop killing your brothers. There will be no winners in this war,” Gilmour commented at the time.
But... I shared the link but didn't screencap! I DID see this track top the Downloads chart!!!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Quick! Screencap it! NUMBER 1!!! <ii> \:D/ :D 8) :!:
...on the PHYSICAL Chart. Nowhere in the Top 40. Although that Kate Bush song still in the top 20!

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/p ... les-chart/
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Top of the physical chart. Fantastic. :D
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:47 pm Although that Kate Bush song still in the top 20!
Don't see that one leaving the charts any time soon.
Just listened to the new Great Day for Freedom. I can hear what the intention was, but I can't say I'm too keen on it. But I'm not the biggest fan of the song in general so that's a factor here too.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:49 am Top of the physical chart. Fantastic. :D
And great write up!