Who Else Thought The Final Cut Was One Of Pink Floyd's Best Albums?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Who Else Thought The Final Cut Was One Of Pink Floyd's Best Albums?

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Look; I understand that The Final Cut is generally regarded as 'dog shit', but the album, at least in my opinion is one of Floyd's best.

Yes; it is heavily Roger Waters. Look at the inside of the record; it says 'The Final Cut - A Requiem For The Post War Dream - Roger Waters'. But it's a Pink Floyd album. It does also say 'Performed By Pink Floyd'. Where would the album be without David Gilmour's amazing guitar solos on 'Your Possible Pasts', 'The Fletcher Memorial Home', 'The Final Cut' and 'Not Now John'?

Also, it ends with one of the greatest and most emotional songs I've ever heard: 'Two Suns In The Sunset'.

So, who else thinks TFC is one of Floyd's best?
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Re: Who Else Thought The Final Cut Was One Of Pink Floyd's Best Albums?

Post by Master_Chief »

Yep, absolutely! It gets no end of negativity due to the various stories surrounding the arguments that were had during the record of the album. But only yesterday I played my original vinyl of it and was reminded what a powerful and brilliant album it is.

Personally I think Gilmour’s solo on the title track is one of his best, short and sweet and perfectly placed. The lyrics in The Gunners Dream, particularly the second verse, is by far some of my favourite in any song.

And let’s not forget it was Number 1 when it came out…
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

See, I think it's an incredible album. It's one I play a lot.
But I have a really hard time hearing it as Pink Floyd because it's about as far removed from the Pink Floyd sound (as I hear them anyway) as it gets. The tagline on the cover "Written by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd" I think sums it up best really. It's a Roger Waters album, Pink Floyd are just... There.
Which is, again, not a reflection on my opinion of the quality of the album. I think it has some of Waters' most outstanding lyrics (probably the last truly great lyrics he ever wrote).
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Absolutely one of my favorites! It shares my Number One spot with The Wall, Animals and Obscured By Clouds.
PinkFloydCollectors
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloydCollectors »

For me, it’s a perfect in the dark with headphones on, album, I love it…
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

mosespa wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:39 pm Absolutely one of my favorites! It shares my Number One spot with The Wall, Animals and Obscured By Clouds.
I agree wholeheartedly, but I'd also include DSOTM and WYWH. Maybe Meddle as well.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I think a few songs are great but I just don’t relate to the content of the album. I will listen to More or even The Endless River all day over The Final Cut
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

A good, but very depressing album. I think, Roger came out of his depressive phase only at the excellent Radio K.A.O.S album first.