What Is The Best Roger Waters Solo Album?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.

Best Roger Waters Solo Album?

Music From The Body (With Ron Geesin)
No votes
The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
11%
Radio K.A.O.S.
11%
Amused To Death
39%
Is This The Life We Really Want?
39%

Total votes: 18

Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

What Is The Best Roger Waters Solo Album?

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

What is your favourite solo album by the horse himself?
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Re: What Is The Best Roger Waters Solo Album?

Post by Master_Chief »

Amused to Death is still my favourite. Terrific and thought provoking lyrics that are still topical today, probably even more so. Alf Razzell’s spoken words during “The Ballad of Bill Hubbard” and the title track still haunt me, and I don’t think I’ll ever forget the memories of visiting places like Paschende, Somme and Ypres on a school trip playing the album on my headphones.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Amused to Death is by far his best post Floyd album
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Master_Chief wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:19 pm Amused to Death is still my favourite. Terrific and thought provoking lyrics that are still topical today, probably even more so. Alf Razzell’s spoken words during “The Ballad of Bill Hubbard” and the title track still haunt me,
Especially 'The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range', those lyrics are extremely relevant with everything going on.
'The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard' has to be one of my favourite songs on the album. Alf Razzell talking about Bill Hubbard is extremely sad, and Jeff Beck's amazing guitar playing fits it so well. It's definitely one of the most satisfying song to play on guitar. The title song was also such an amazing end to the album.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I think Jeff Beck and a slew of other great musicians helped make Amused to Death into the great album it is. I’d say the same for Clapton in pros and cons every song I love on that album has Clapton on it. I don’t think Roger gets it though as no one but him is credited in the writing.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Gslatner wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:56 pm I think Jeff Beck and a slew of other great musicians helped make Amused to Death into the great album it is. I’d say the same for Clapton in pros and cons every song I love on that album has Clapton on it. I don’t think Roger gets it though as no one but him is credited in the writing.
I think he gets it. The reason he is the only one credited in the writing is because Jeff Beck, Clapton, Andy Fairweather-Low and Snowy White or any other guitarist he has playing on that album don't write their solos. Like David Gilmour, they are improvised. I think Roger is an absolute genius, and he is writing these songs, his writing those beautiful ageless lyrics, and those amazing chord progressions, and then he says, 'Okay, I want you to do a blues solo' or whatever sort of solo he wants and they do it. Although, the first song on Pros and Cons was the same chord progression and same notes (in the key of C instead of A) as 'In The Flesh'.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 pm
Gslatner wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:56 pm I think Jeff Beck and a slew of other great musicians helped make Amused to Death into the great album it is. I’d say the same for Clapton in pros and cons every song I love on that album has Clapton on it. I don’t think Roger gets it though as no one but him is credited in the writing.
I think he gets it. The reason he is the only one credited in the writing is because Jeff Beck, Clapton, Andy Fairweather-Low and Snowy White or any other guitarist he has playing on that album don't write their solos. Like David Gilmour, they are improvised. I think Roger is an absolute genius, and he is writing these songs, his writing those beautiful ageless lyrics, and those amazing chord progressions, and then he says, 'Okay, I want you to do a blues solo' or whatever sort of solo he wants and they do it. Although, the first song on Pros and Cons was the same chord progression and same notes (in the key of C instead of A) as 'In The Flesh'.
Also, in an interview, when asked about the other talent he brought into the album, he says "And Andy Fairweather-Low was central to the whole thing".
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Is This The Life We Really Want is his best, but Amused to Death is my favorite.

Much like how Dark Side is the best, but The Wall is my favorite.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I still prefer Radio KAOS
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Radio K.A.O.S. No doubt about it.