Wish You Were Here

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Wish You Were Here

Post by qjamesfloyd »

:lol:
What does everyone think of Wycliff Jean's recent version of Wish You Were Here,that got the Floyd back into the charts again.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

In a nutshell it was terrible!!! (In my opinion!) I don't like Wyclefs work anyway, but to hear him trash such an excellent song is just painful!! To give a bit more info I am also "down wit hip-hop", so its not like I'm a rocker with no time for anything else. Thats the trouble now though, they'll sample anything, no matter how bad the end product sounds. Just to confirm my point, I recently heard a snippet of Wyclefs new track, with Tom Jones(?????) and the song to sample could only be "Whats new Pussycat"(?????????????). This song should seriously come with a health warning!! I mean Tom Jones...
pinkpig
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pinkpig »

it sucks !

:x :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
pinkpig
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pinkpig »

btw.... just heard a cover of Fearless played by Fish !

Instead of wyclef Jean, Fish did a great job i think !
mihalis
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mihalis »

sounds like I'm lucky not to have heard the cover of wish you were here. I always hate covers anyway, why can't they make money out of their own songs :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :!: :!:
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

:?
Yeah,i agree,it was not good,it certainly does not need a rap in the song,it is a classic song that should not be messed with,but in saying that,i find it interesting that the Floyd ok'd the use of the song.
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

You think Wyclef's version is bad... Limp Bizkit's multilated, assaulted and raped the song at the 9/11 NYC Tribute Concert last September or October (I think).

No respect for the Floyd. Geesh.
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Recycled Infamy

Post by pinktim »

My opinion on these covers is that these artists are just trying to cash in on a sure thing.

There was a discussion of the Wycliff Jean cover of Wish You Were Here some time ago on another board. I have not personally heard this one, but, I have to say that any rap or other version cannot be all that great.

I did here some parts of the Limp Bizkit cover. Again, not an impressive thing to me.

Personally, I find the electronica, new age and trance covers much more intriguing. At least a form of music with some roots in space and psychedelia is making those covers.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have heard the cover and it is bloody awful! It is really terrible. But, then again, I hate rap, rap rock, trash rock of any sort. Good old classic rock for me!! :lol:

But on the other hand, I have nothing against people doing covers of other people's songs so long as they have permission. If a song moved me so much that I wanted to release a cover of it then I would. That couldn't been seen as cashing in! :wink:

I suppose it all boils down to the motivation for wanting to do a cover: a sure hit money maker or because the song means something to the artist covering it. :idea:

Another thing, the cover shouldn't just sound like the original DAT tapes were obtained and a new (probably less good) vocal recorded over the top of it!! :lol:
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

As far as my take covers, I do agree... as long as it's honest and you do it because you love the music, that's fine. I know there are several Floyd songs I would love to cover (like doing all of <i>Animals</i> lo-fi style... like punk eating itself or something :) ).

My big complaint with Bizkit's version is the addition of new verses. I don't care who it's for, don't tamper with good poetry. It's as if you're saying "OK, I like Waters' poetry [not in those words yes but I hate sinking low] but it's not good enough." You either use it or you don't. And if you don't, make up your own good. Geesh, I didn't Wes Borland's departure left THAT big of a hole (I mean hell... look at the group you are covering Freddie).

*gets off the soapbox*
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

djproject wrote
My big complaint with Bizkit's version is the addition of new verses. I don't care who it's for, don't tamper with good poetry. It's as if you're saying "OK, I like Waters' poetry [not in those words yes but I hate sinking low] but it's not good enough." You either use it or you don't. And if you don't, make up your own good.
but couldn't really have kept in the references to war, hot ash, and veils in the cercumstances could they?
btw wasn't it Fred durst + members of the goo dolls?
moey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by moey »

Perhaps I will be Wyclef's only defender. I downloaded his version (during the golden age of napster... :sigh:) with a full intention to detest it and have one more reason to hate rap. Imagine my surprise when I liked it... heh. I'm reasonably open to artist's interpretations to new songs, and I respect a lot of Wyclef's career. I factored all that into my liking for the song AFTER i heard it the first time... the immediate impression it left on me was one of someone from a diverse background trying to make a tribute to an unusual root. I, for one, was incredibly surprised to know that Wyclef even knew who Floyd was. Beyond all that, I do like his version more than I ever expected to. Of course, I am 16... a 16-year-old anti-teenybopper hater-of-all-things-pop-music, but an american teenager nonetheless :)

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Was this cover authorised?