Who Played Bass On What Songs...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Who Played Bass On What Songs...

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I have noticed on numerous Pink Floyd message boards comments such as "David Gilmour played bass on a lot of Pink Floyd songs." Some have even said "David Gilmour played bass on most Pink Floyd songs."

I have decided to list the bass guitar credits for every Pink Floyd song. I have obtained the credits from The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia (2nd Edition). The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia lists known musicians only. I have put N/A next to songs that either do not have any bass guitar bits, or else the credit for the song is unknown. Please correct any mistakes you come across.

Enjoy!

----

The Piper At The Gates of Dawn:

Astronomy Domine - RW
Lucifer Sam - RW
Matilda Mother - RW
Flaming - RW
Pow R. Toc H. - RW
Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk - RW
Interstellar Overdrive - RW
The Gnome - RW
Chapter 24 - RW
Scarecrow - RW
Bike - RW

A Saucerful Of Secrets:

Let There Be More Light - RW
Remember A Day - RW
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - RW
Corporal Clegg - RW
A Saucerful Of Secrets - RW
See Saw - RW
Jugband Blues - RW

More:

Cirrus Minor - RW
The Nile Song - RW
Crying Song - RW
Up The Khyber - RW
Green Is The Colour - RW
Cymbaline - RW
Party Sequence - N/A
Main Theme - RW
Ibiza Bar - RW
More Blues - RW
Quicksilver - RW
A Spanish Piece - N/A
Dramatic Piece - RW

Ummagumma (Studio) - N/A (DG For The Narrow Way)

Atom Heart Mother:

Atom Heart Mother - RW
If - RW
Summer 68 - RW
Fat Old Sun - DG
Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - RW

Meddle:

One Of These Days - DG & RW
A Pillow Of Winds - RW
Fearless - RW
San Tropez - RW
Seamus - RW
Echoes - DG (Fretless Bass Guitar) & RW (Bass Guitar & Slide Bass)

Obscured By Clouds:

Obscured By Clouds - RW
When You're In - RW
Burning Bridges - RW
The Gold It's In The... - RW
Wots...Uh The Deal? - RW
Mudmen - RW
Childhood's End - RW
Free Four - RW
Stay - RW
Absolutely Curtains - N/A

The Dark Side Of The Moon:

Speak To Me - N/A
Breathe In The Air - RW
On The Run - N/A
Time - RW
Breathe (Reprise) - RW
The Great Gig In The Sky - RW
Money - RW
Us And Them - RW
Any Colour You Like - RW
Brain Damage - RW
Eclipse - RW

Wish You Were Here:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) (Note: Treated as one song) - RW
Welcome To The Machine - N/A
Have A Cigar - RW
Wish You Were Here - RW
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX) (Note: Treated as one song) - RW

Animals:

Pigs On The Wing (Part One) - N/A
Dogs - RW
Pigs (Three Different Ones) - DG
Sheep - DG (N.B. RW - Rhythm Guitar)
Pigs On The Wing (Part Two) - N/A

The Wall:

In The Flesh? - N/A
The Thin Ice - N/A
Another Brick In The Wall (Part I) - N/A
The Happiest Days Of Our Lives - N/A
Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - RW
Mother - N/A
Goodbye Blue Sky - RW
Empty Spaces - N/A
Young Lust - N/A
One Of My Turns - N/A
Don't Leave Me Now - N/A
Another Brick In The Wall (Part III) - N/A
Goodbye Cruel World - N/A

Hey You - DG (Fretless Bass)
Is There Anybody Out There? - N/A
Nobody Home - N/A
Vera - N/A
Bring The Boys Back Home - N/A
Comfortably Numb - N/A
The Show Must Go On - N/A
In The Flesh - N/A
Run Like Hell - N/A
Waiting For The Worms - N/A
Stop - N/A
The Trial - N/A
Outside The Wall - N/A

The Final Cut:

The Post War Dream - RW
Your Possible Pasts - RW
One Of The Few - N/A
The Hero's Return - RW
The Gunners Dream - N/A
Paranoid Eyes - N/A
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert - N/A
The Fletcher Memorial Home - N/A
Southhampton Dock - N/A
The Final Cut - N/A
Not Now John - N/A
Two Suns In The Sunset - N/A

Final Tally:

RW - 66/72 - 92%
DG - 6/72 - 8%
Grimble Gromble
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Grimble Gromble »

thank you!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Anytime :D
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

RPITI wrote: " I have decided to list the bass guitar credits for every Pink Floyd song. I have obtained the credits from The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia (2nd Edition). The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia lists known musicians only.'

You said it yourself: THe Encyclopedia states: known musicians only, and with known they refer to records etc.

Never heard of that anecdote in which is said that Roger thanked dave to win him Polls on great Bass-player or bassplaying again and again. OBJECTIVITYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Thank you for pointing out so much! :D

You know, to be brutally honest, I'm almost certain David Gilmour REALLY played bass AND guitar on all of PATGOD :lol:

In fact, I bet Syd Barrett hogged the credits on PATGOD. David Gilmour should have got more credit for that album too! Heck, David should probably be credited with founding Pink Floyd!!! :lol:

And yeah, obviously Roger Waters robbed David Gilmour of so much credit. This explains why David Gilmour, instead of composing songs by himself, requested and obtained help from Jon Carin, Anthony Moore, Phil Manzanera, Patrick Leonard, and Bob Ezrin, just to name a few, for A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Yep. It's all so very obvious.
Never heard of that anecdote in which is said that Roger thanked dave to win him Polls on great Bass-player or bassplaying again and again
David has said a lot of things. I recall him once stating he sang the most songs on Wish You Were Here, which is untrue. Roger Waters sang more on WYWH than anyone else (Gilmour sang WYWH and half of WTTM [Reasonable to say a song and a half]. Waters sang the parts of SOYCD with vocals and half of WTTM [Reasonable to say two songs and a half]).

David, for whatever reason(s), would have you believe he played bass more than the records show, or so I gather from your response, Spinoza.

OK.

Hmmmm...It is widely accepted by many that Roger Waters was a bit of an "egomaniac" from Animals onward. Let me ask a simple question: Why would Roger, an apparent "egomaniac" at the time, allow the bass guitar credits for Pigs (Three Different Ones), Sheep, and Hey You! to go to Gilmour? I mean, why during these "egomaniac years" would he allow such a thing, but prior to these years, when he was supposedly more "stable," would he not allow the credit to go to Gilmour if Gilmour deserved it (Except in the cases of OOTD, Echoes, and FOS)?

Care to attempt to propose an evenhanded response?

You know, I find it amusing when people go on about how "Roger hogged" this or that. Am I the only one who realizes we are talking about fully-grown men here? I mean, for example, does anyone actually buy some of the crap people spurt forth about how Roger, by himself, berated Rick constantly for no apparent reason in 1979? We're talking about men in their thirties who had "made it" in the music industry. Think it over. And gee, let's try to figure out what sounds more reasonable: An enormously rich member of Pink Floyd being bullied like a child by the big, bad "egomaniac" of the band, or an enormously rich member of Pink Floyd having, like many of his contemporaries at the time, a bad drug habit that is affecting his work? I am not spreading a rumor in asking this. It is merely a question I ask you all to ponder...

Anyway, the purpose of my initial post in this thread is to try and show who played bass on what songs (To the best of our knowledge, anyway). Clearly there IS reason to believe that Roger Waters did in fact play bass on THE MAJORITY of Pink Floyd songs. Furthermore, there appears to be no reason whatsoever to believe David Gilmour played bass on a lot (i.e., close to the majority) of Pink Floyd songs.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Look RPITI: The Pink Floyd-encyclopedia is not a God. It got it's information from somewhere.1. the album-info; 2. articles and interviews.; 3. the artists playing certain kinds of instruments, i mean everybody assumes that when he hears a keyboard that it would probably be played by R Wright, you ASSUME that.

Now, the "evidence" from the encyclopedia is thus far from the truth. My copy of ANIMALS doesn't state: bass-played by Gilmour on PIGS. So where did the Encyclopedia got that info: from articles and interviews. Now, you must be aware of the fact that people not always make very clear statements, like i played bass on the second half of Song X; or i played bass on Song Y. In this case i remind you on that anecdote in which is said that Roger thanked dave to win him Polls on great Bass-player or bassplaying again and again.
It's not specific, so when info is not available, the encyclopedia just assumes that the instrument is played by the "instrumentsmusician ": guitar = dave, bass = waters....

The info on the Wall-album only lists GILMOUR, MASON, WATERS WRIGHT; nowhere you find the names of other guita-players on it.

Did you know Barrett plays on ASOS; yes, how did you know that.

YOU WROTE: "You know, to be brutally honest, I'm almost certain David Gilmour REALLY played bass AND guitar on all of PATGOD icon_lol.gif

In fact, I bet Syd Barrett hogged the credits on PATGOD. David Gilmour should have got more credit for that album too! Heck, David should probably be credited with founding Pink Floyd!!! icon_lol.gif

And yeah, obviously Roger Waters robbed David Gilmour of so much credit. This explains why David Gilmour, instead of composing songs by himself, requested and obtained help from Jon Carin, Anthony Moore, Phil Manzanera, Patrick Leonard, and Bob Ezrin, just to name a few, for A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Yep. It's all so very obvious.
"

Hell, you are so objectiv. I just make a reply on the bass-playing and you are already again on the current Floydfraud-issue. OJECTIVITYYYY
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ask yourself these 2 questions Spinoza:

1) If Roger was the bassist for the band from the start why would he want to let Dave start playing bass on all his songs?

When they perfromed live and Dave played on all the songs then would they not be slightly f**cked? Would Dave play both lead guitar and bass guitar? What was his encoure? Juggling, flying or having a pie eating contest with himself?

He's not superman. And regardless of whether he plays the bassline on the album, through live shows it's fairly obvious Roger can play the songs himself, and these aren't revolutionary bnasslines or anything are they? If Roger can play them then i'm sure it doesn't matter if Dave plays them on the album.

2) What proof do we have Dave played the guitar on all songs?

It's much the same paranoid question. I look at my copy of The Wall, there's not a single credit for who played guitar on Comfortably Numb. Same with Wish You Were Here, infact, nowhere does it state that Gilmour was the Floyd guitarist, you're merely looking at sources and articles, articles probably written after Roger left so they would be one sided wouldn't they?

I'm not doubting Gilmour played guitar, but it's much the same as doubting Waters played bass isn't it?
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

To David: ijust like the info that THE encyclopedia uses , i use a statement from Gilmour ( never refuted by Roger ) that mostly the bassplaying on the albums was his, because he did it quicker than Roger. I don't use this bass-issue to bash on Roger.

And yes, you are correct to say that: "When they perfromed live and Dave played on all the songs then would they not be slightly f**cked? Would Dave play both lead guitar and bass guitar? What was his encoure? Juggling, flying or having a pie eating contest with himself?

He's not superman. And regardless of whether he plays the bassline on the album, through live shows it's fairly obvious Roger can play the songs himself, and these aren't revolutionary bnasslines or anything are they? If Roger can play them then i'm sure it doesn't matter if Dave plays them on the album. "

Did i call Gilmour a superman, no. The question was centered around the "who-plays-bass-on-the-albums. Not who plays bass during live performances ! BTW, where is the great bassplaying on PIGS ( 3DO) during the Live performances on the '77 In The Flesh-tour ???
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

David wrote: " It's much the same paranoid question. I look at my copy of The Wall, there's not a single credit for who played guitar on Comfortably Numb. Same with Wish You Were Here, infact, nowhere does it state that Gilmour was the Floyd guitarist, you're merely looking at sources and articles, articles probably written after Roger left so they would be one sided wouldn't they? ";

PROBABLY i USE the SAME articles and info as the Encyclopedia from which our dear RPITI took his info for this post.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

OBJECTIVITYYYYYYYY
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Spinoza wrote:Look RPITI: The Pink Floyd-encyclopedia is not a God. It got it's information from somewhere.1. the album-info
Fitch has explained "...on tracks where it is unclear who all the musicians were, only known musicians are listed (indicated as known, session, or featured musicians)."

I have already explained that it lists known musicians only. I take it he obtained the information from recording session records.

It IS the best we have to go by.

As I said in another post, "clearly there IS reason to believe that Roger Waters did in fact play bass on THE MAJORITY of Pink Floyd songs. Furthermore, there appears to be no reason whatsoever to believe David Gilmour played bass on a lot (i.e., close to the majority) of Pink Floyd songs."
Now, the "evidence" from the encyclopedia is thus far from the truth. My copy of ANIMALS doesn't state: bass-played by Gilmour on PIGS. So where did the Encyclopedia got that info: from articles and interviews.
Perhaps, but I am pretty sure he has researched the matters more than you and I.
Now, you must be aware of the fact that people not always make very clear statements, like i played bass on the second half of Song X; or i played bass on Song Y. In this case i remind you on that anecdote in which is said that Roger thanked dave to win him Polls on great Bass-player or bassplaying again and again.
And I remind you that David Gilmour has said that, and that David Gilmour has said things in the past that are untrue (Ex. saying he sang the most on WYWH).
It's not specific, so when info is not available, the encyclopedia just assumes that the instrument is played by the "instrumentsmusician ": guitar = dave, bass = waters....
NO! Take a look at the list yet again please...
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

David Smith wrote: 2) What proof do we have Dave played the guitar on all songs?

It's much the same paranoid question. I look at my copy of The Wall, there's not a single credit for who played guitar on Comfortably Numb. Same with Wish You Were Here, infact, nowhere does it state that Gilmour was the Floyd guitarist, you're merely looking at sources and articles, articles probably written after Roger left so they would be one sided wouldn't they?

I'm not doubting Gilmour played guitar, but it's much the same as doubting Waters played bass isn't it?
I was just about to bring up the same point.
Spinoza wrote:BTW, where is the great bassplaying on PIGS ( 3DO) during the Live performances on the '77 In The Flesh-tour ???
Gee, can we have a more subjective question? What's the point of asking this question in this thread? I mean, one can hold the opinion the bass playing on the '77 In The Flesh Tour was pish, but one can also hold the opinion the guitar playing on the '77 In The Flesh Tour was pish too. And the opinions in both cases are formed by listening to 25 year old bootlegs by amateurs! I'm amused to death!
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

RPITI wrote: "'77 In The Flesh Tour was pish, but one can also hold the opinion the guitar playing on the '77 In The Flesh Tour was pish too. And the opinions in both cases are formed by listening to 25 year old bootlegs by amateurs! "

OOO RPITI, you're soooooo funny, but probably you don't even see it. I'm going to explain it the way i do to my 18 y old students: Listen to the albumversion of DOGS, then listen to The live bootleg. conclusion: the guitarwork is the same, more improvisation on the bootleg. Now listen to PIGS albumversion with the nice bassplaying, now listen to the livebootleg, oooo where is that bass ??? Can't almost hear it !!! See the difference. Of course not, don't shatter your beloved "truths".
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Are we forgetting about a certain someone named Snowy White?

And which bootleg are you alluding to, anyway? Do you know for a fact who is playing bass and guitar on each song on the bootlegs you are listening to? Snowy White played guitar and bass guitar on the '77 In The Flesh Tour. I suppose your AUDIO bootlegs make it all so very clear who is playing what on each and every song. And I'm sure the quality of any 1977 video bootlegs by amateurs are of extremely pristine quality!
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

To RPITI: you can look some of that info up in the encyclopedia, pag 336, under Snowy White.