Roger Waters as a Bassist

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters as a Bassist

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:48 pm I know that I, at least, have been waiting DECADES for someone to come along and state definitively what's what.
And I as well, but I am not that person.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to assume that Dave played bass on any given track rather than Roger, just based on what they've each said. Based on Roger's approach to Animals, I think he was trying move away from playing bass entirely, but couldn't really avoid playing it live without hiring another touring musician. The division of labor was pretty weird on the '77 tour - Roger played bass on "Have a Cigar" even though he apparently wrote the rhythm guitar part, which Dave played while Snowy played lead; Dave reportedly played bass on "Pigs on the Wing" since Roger played rhythm and Snowy played lead.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:28 pm Well, you make a point that the Encyclopedia backs up. It says Gilmour played bass, and not fretless bass on "Dogs." It also says that he played "fretless bass" on "Hey You."
...it says what about the bass on "Dogs"?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Also, I saw this in a thread from DECADES ago (you were there!):
Craig Marion wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm According to "The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia" pg. 241

The musicians on Pigs (Three Different Ones)

David Gilmour (guitar, bass guitar)
Nick Mason (drums)
Roger Waters (vocals)
Richard Wright (clavinet, organ, piano, synthesizer)
Shouldn't that mention that Roger played rhythm guitar?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 pm
...it says what about the bass on "Dogs"?
Sorry...I meant "Pigs (3DO.)"
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:39 pm Also, I saw this in a thread from DECADES ago (you were there!):
Craig Marion wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm According to "The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia" pg. 241

The musicians on Pigs (Three Different Ones)

David Gilmour (guitar, bass guitar)
Nick Mason (drums)
Roger Waters (vocals)
Richard Wright (clavinet, organ, piano, synthesizer)
Shouldn't that mention that Roger played rhythm guitar?
Not if he didn't play it in the studio.

Don't tell me you have a hard time imagining that someone might do something live that they didn't do in the studio?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 pm And I as well, but I am not that person.
Then perhaps you should stop making comments with authority which you don't have.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am Not if he didn't play it in the studio.
Gilmour stated that the reason he played bass on those two songs was specifically because Waters had rhythm guitar parts that he wanted to play. Healthy skepticism!
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:28 pm I'm just so glad you're here to straighten us all out with your secret insider knowledge.
Well the secret is out, because I've posted those 30-year-old interviews many times by now. I generally believe everything that Waters and Gilmour have both said, and their versions of history are not mutually exclusive. Rog's recent rant really seems misguided, because he's clearly remembering a demo he made that was then re-recorded; he will be 78 soon, and what could be more Pink Floyd than a tell-all band memoir written by a man with dementia? Dave, Nick, and Polly could turn it into a concept album!

Dave: I played bass on at least half of our songs.

Roger: I never wanted to play bass. I never played anything.

Dave: He usually didn't want to play bass, so he'd ask me to do it.

What am I missing?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Thank you - I have a first edition copy on its way. This should be entertainingly tedious!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:34 am
mosespa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am Not if he didn't play it in the studio.
Gilmour stated that the reason he played bass on those two songs was specifically because Waters had rhythm guitar parts that he wanted to play. Healthy skepticism!
Citation missing.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:28 am
mosespa wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:28 pm I'm just so glad you're here to straighten us all out with your secret insider knowledge.
Well the secret is out, because I've posted those 30-year-old interviews many times by now. I generally believe everything that Waters and Gilmour have both said, and their versions of history are not mutually exclusive. Rog's recent rant really seems misguided, because he's clearly remembering a demo he made that was then re-recorded; he will be 78 soon, and what could be more Pink Floyd than a tell-all band memoir written by a man with dementia? Dave, Nick, and Polly could turn it into a concept album!

Dave: I played bass on at least half of our songs.

Roger: I never wanted to play bass. I never played anything.

Dave: He usually didn't want to play bass, so he'd ask me to do it.

What am I missing?
I dunno. I thought YOU were the one saying that there was "no way" that Gilmour played all those bass lines. It was certainly you who were going on and on about Waters' magnificent ability to play fretless bass lines and maybe even every other instrument in the whole universe because he's such a genius musician and all.

You seem to be doing a 180, here.

What am I missing?
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:26 pm You seem to be doing a 180, here.
You have me confused with someone else, sir.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

mosespa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:24 pm Citation missing.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:56 pm Bass Player Magazine, 1998:
“About your Classic Revisited piece on Pink Floyd’s Animals [March ’98]:
I don’t think I’ve ever described Roger Water’s bass playing as “horrible.” If I did I must have been having a bad day. He was a good bass player when he wanted to be – which he often didn’t – and when he didn’t he often asked me to take over the chore. On Animals Roger played bass on “Dogs” and I played bass on “Sheep” and “Pigs.” Most of the bass line on “Sheep” (apart from the ending) was what Roger had been playing onstage, as we had been performing it as “Raving and Drooling” for a couple of years. However, in the studio Roger had a rhythm guitar part he wanted to play, so we swapped roles. On “Pigs” the part and the playing are mine."
David Gilmour, via fax
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:23 pm So you want me to listen to the records, and if I hear a bassline that sounds simplistic and unremarkable I should assume it's Roger? Done. And I should read the 'encyclopedia' that was assembled without any assistance from any members of Pink Floyd? Just tell me how it ends.
No spoilers, but if you don't count the appendices, it ends with "'97 Vinyl Collection."

In my edition, he did the numbers last.

Can't wait to see whether or not you get your big "AHA!! GOT YOU" moment.

That's all that matters, isn't it?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:29 pm
mosespa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:24 pm Citation missing.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:56 pm Bass Player Magazine, 1998:
“About your Classic Revisited piece on Pink Floyd’s Animals [March ’98]:
I don’t think I’ve ever described Roger Water’s bass playing as “horrible.” If I did I must have been having a bad day. He was a good bass player when he wanted to be – which he often didn’t – and when he didn’t he often asked me to take over the chore. On Animals Roger played bass on “Dogs” and I played bass on “Sheep” and “Pigs.” Most of the bass line on “Sheep” (apart from the ending) was what Roger had been playing onstage, as we had been performing it as “Raving and Drooling” for a couple of years. However, in the studio Roger had a rhythm guitar part he wanted to play, so we swapped roles. On “Pigs” the part and the playing are mine."
David Gilmour, via fax
Perhaps they ended up not using it, so there's no reason to list it in the encyclopedia?

Just a (rather easily come by) thought.