Roger Waters as a Bassist

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Roger Waters as a Bassist

Post by azza200 »

penguinzzz wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm
azza200 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:29 pm Shame on his last tour he barely played the bass for One Of These Days and he let one of his session musicians play the entire song while he played the odd note here and there between waving his arms around at the crowd mime bass playing. As he really should of played live that entire song on bass as its easy
Much as I hate to spoil another good old rant with a few facts, Waters did play bass throughout One Of These Days on the last tour. He was doubled by Seyffert in the main parts (following the studio version) with Waters playing the middle bit on his own. I quite enjoyed it.
not a rant an observation i did say he did play bass just not every note his version of OOTD is weak compared too Nick's or any 1987-94 versions Guy Pratt nailed it on the 1994 tour his bass tone was amazing same on David's last tour and Nicks tour's
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

azza200 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 pm
penguinzzz wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Much as I hate to spoil another good old rant with a few facts, Waters did play bass throughout One Of These Days on the last tour. He was doubled by Seyffert in the main parts (following the studio version) with Waters playing the middle bit on his own. I quite enjoyed it.
not a rant an observation i did say he did play bass just not every note his version of OOTD is weak compared too Nick's or any 1987-94 versions Guy Pratt nailed it on the 1994 tour his bass tone was amazing same on David's last tour and Nicks tour's
Your observation was that on OOTD he was 'waving his arms around' and 'barely playing', so not very accurate on either count.

If we've now moved on to comparing versions, I would say I liked hearing Waters play it recently with a more menacing tone - more similar to the 70s live versions. Pratt is fine on it obviously - I've seen him do it several times over 30 years with PF and Mason - he tends to slap his way through it without much nuance, especially in the SOS shows.

My favourite versions are of course any number of live takes from 71-73. Hollywood Bowl 72 was the first one I heard and it's still a killer.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

So my first edition of the Pink Floyd Encyclopedia has arrived, and it's good to see that Gilmour's comments regarding Animals from the year before were factored in. What's surprising is that for the majority of tracks, it doesn't mentiom who played bass at all - it only lists instruments if it was known who played them. And of course, his later editions and other books credit Gilmour with bass on a lot more tracks.

I hereby retract and apologize for whatever I previously said about Vernon Fitch and lazy assumptions.

Other sources not only mention Gilmour playing bass on "Shine On" Part VI, but also Waters playing rhythm guitar on that same section.
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:31 pm I hereby retract and apologize for whatever I previously said about Vernon Fitch and lazy assumptions.

Other sources not only mention Gilmour playing bass on "Shine On" Part VI, but also Waters playing rhythm guitar on that same section.
I'm sure Vernon Fitch will sleep more comfortably tonight knowing you've forgiven him!

Which 'other sources' say this about Shine On 6? I know it's been said - it's not impossible - but I don't think I remember a definite source. The main repetitive bassline is identical to the concurrent live versions, obviously there's an extra underlying part on the studio version.