Roger Waters as a Bassist

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

David Smith wrote:Ah RPITI, he would most certainly be in our hall of fame alongside Stiggs, Tommy and FVP... That is if we had one :?
Gotta throw mosthigh in there as well :D
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

David Smith wrote:Maybe he's still here under a new name :D :shock:
maybe you are him! maybe you killed the real David Smith and used his login name and password to post here! Didn?t you Tommy!!!! Don?t lie to us!!!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Charade I am wrote:maybe you are him! maybe you killed the real David Smith and used his login name and password to post here! Didn?t you Tommy!!!! Don?t lie to us!!!
Me being Tommy? Man that's shmuck, i'm off to listen to my Dave Matthews albums being that i am a Dave Matthews fan. Now lets see, i got a final tomorrow on the binery system, wish i was better at it :lol:

No slating there by the way, that was a very effectionate tribute to the boy Tommy

(Anyone that's been here for a while will understand all that, and right now i just know Drafsak remembers it all :D )
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

mosespa wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:
now I also own PF Encyclopedia myself.
I learned this fact originally from a guy called RPITI
While the PF Encyclopedia IS a useful and informative resource guide, I'm sure you will notice that it also offers the caveat of "Known Musicians Only..." just because someone isn't listed doesn't mean they didn't do anything.

A lot of songs only feature two or three names under a specific song and it's pretty obvious that more than two or three guys appear on the song.

RPITI is a guy whom I have a lot of respect for, but like Mr. Fitch, his information is not always the most dependable.

Quite true. The trouble with RPITI was his letting his obsession with Roger get in the way of being truly objective....and he had the tendency to think trashing Gilmour (which he would often claim he WASN'T doing while he WAS in fact doing it) was perfectly okay but to ctiticize Roger was un-called for and un-justifiable. Horse-hockey.
quicksilver wrote:
David Smith wrote:Ah RPITI, he would most certainly be in our hall of fame alongside Stiggs, Tommy and FVP... That is if we had one :?
Gotta throw mosthigh in there as well :D

MostHigh was a waste of space in my opinion.
Pugs on the Wing wrote:Not to change the subject, but I miss R.PITI on this forum.
All I can say is I've interacted with him long before this forum and his departure from here bothers me not one whit.

If you want to add something on your last post, please use the edit-button, don't double post, please
Syd.
Last edited by Vlad The Impaler on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

Why did they have a session bassist in the album and the tour of the wall if Mr. Gilmour played all the bass lines? or same question about the final cut albums session bassplayers, yes, Gilmour is a talented bass player, it doesnt bother me that he played on 6 songs, which two were his own songs. hell, Roger composed tons of guitar lines, I am very internested who actually did what behind Floyd and I still pursue this quest and debates with him were always fascinating since the facts were always on his side, against G's propaganda.
and I havent seen RPITI for a long time, I remember his posts before all the post accidently got deleted. Some people are colourful people and not all people like all the colours in the world.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Colorful? That's pretty funny.

You are Watcher....

I just know it.

:lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Johnny Rotten wrote:Why did they have a session bassist in the album and the tour of the wall if Mr. Gilmour played all the bass lines?
Excuse me...are you seriously asking this question?

They hired a session bassist for the tour because Roger was so inept at playing bass that they needed someone who knew what they were doing.

Gilmour, awesome musician though he is, is incapable of playing guitar AND bass simultaneously in a live context.

As for the session musician who played bass on the album (and, by the way, no one is saying that Gilmour played ALL the bass lines, Johnny...I'm just contending that he's done it on more than six songs...) who knows why? Maybe Gilmour didn't want to do them all.

No one's ever painted Gilmour as a control freak, have they?

But they have Roger.

Maybe Roger ran into a "wall," so to speak, and Gilmour refused to do any more bass lines.

Do we even know if there's a session bassisst on the album?
Johnny Rotten wrote: or same question about the final cut albums session bassplayers, yes, Gilmour is a talented bass player, it doesnt bother me that he played on 6 songs, which two were his own songs. hell, Roger composed tons of guitar lines, I am very internested who actually did what behind Floyd and I still pursue this quest and debates with him were always fascinating since the facts were always on his side, against G's propaganda.
and I havent seen RPITI for a long time, I remember his posts before all the post accidently got deleted. Some people are colourful people and not all people like all the colours in the world.
As for The Final Cut...Gilmour wanted as little to do with it as possible. When you don't want to be involved with something, the last thing you do is do more than you usually would if you were involved.

To Vlad The Impaler...have you ever posted under another name at a different board? Some of your comments are kind of ringing bells.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote: To Vlad The Impaler...have you ever posted under another name at a different board? Some of your comments are kind of ringing bells.

I knew I couldn't fool you...yep, used to post another another name.....

Pinktim....no, that wasn't it...

It was Watcher....no, that wasn't it either.....

It was RPITI, no that's not it......I remember now....

I used to be called Dances.

When I first came here I was only reading...no intention of posting, then the format changed and you had to register to even read so I pulled a name at random figuring it didn't matter cause I still wasn't into posting at the time....now I'm posting...occasionally.....and sorta stuck with this name.

For the benefit of those not in the know and who might vaguely give a rat's ass ....and Mossy DOES know....the name Pinktim is a poster RPITI (as I understand it) once helped harrass off a board and when the guy returned under the name Watcher RPITI harrassed him endlessly trying to get him to admit he was Pinktim....THIS I was a regular witness to. Man, it got old.

Hey Mossy...is this familiar too?......

"What's your source?"

And do you remember being regaled over and over with "The List?"

Ah, the old days.

Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

Do we even know if there's a session bassisst on the album?
yes, there was. there was session musicians in backing vocals, guitar, drums, keyboards and bass? logical isnt it? Andy Bown for most of the parts but Bob Ezrin could have been there too.
Some of the bass riffs like "goodbye cruel world" is from old tracks.
Roger composed quite a lot of music for his opera so I dont know what that should mean from his musical talents guitar riffs on eclipse and in hey you are good work.
We can also see Andy Bown as a tremendous session musician in Pros&cons of hitch hicking. it is more logical that he played the basses on Roger songs in the wall? isnt it? He also played in the final cut!!! and yes, he was most likely behind bass in the wall, final cut and in pros and cons.

and if RPITI was a roger fanatic why did he dump this forum because of libby roger lover? (according to libbys words)
Last edited by Johnny Rotten on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Johnny, by showing that you believe Roger wrote the guitar part to "Hey You," you only show your ignorance of how the songwriting/credit system works.

In regards to the intro, Roger wrote a chord progression that went from Eminor to Dminor...Gilmour turned it into what it is now.

And as for all the music that "Roger" wrote...let's not forget that:

Bricks one, two and three all have the same music...
In The Flesh appears twice...
Mother and The Show Must Go On have very similar chord progressions...
Bob Ezrin wrote Is There Anybody Out There...at least, the version we know today...
Bob Ezrin came up with the very IDEA of The Trial and wrote the music...
Gilmour co-wrote Young Lust, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell...

Yep, Johnny...it's obvious that Roger wrote, recorded, produced, engineered, mixed and mastered The Wall all by himself, he's such a god-like being.

Of course, Gilmour never even showed up for anything after DSOTM...all of his guitar parts were played by Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

And the part of Roger Waters is being played by Richard Gere.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

mosespa wrote:
In regards to the intro, Roger wrote a chord progression that went from Eminor to Dminor...Gilmour turned it into what it is now.
before reading these posts, I?ve always suspected that Gilmour helped a in the composing of songs like "Hey You" and ABITW2" because at PULSE he only played songs that have his composing credits on, except for Hey You and ABITW, so, I thought that if he is playing those without Roger, maybe....maybe, he did have any participation, more than just his voice, in those numbers.....
Last edited by Charade I am on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Of course, Gilmour never even showed up for anything after DSOTM...all of his guitar parts were played by Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
Ohh! He's my favourite! I loved Kenny in the 1984 "No Wave" movement!
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

mosespa wrote:Johnny, by showing that you believe Roger wrote the guitar part to "Hey You," you only show your ignorance of how the songwriting/credit system works.

And as for all the music that "Roger" wrote...let's not forget that:

Bricks one, two and three all have the same music...
In The Flesh appears twice...
Mother and The Show Must Go On have very similar chord progressions...
Bob Ezrin wrote Is There Anybody Out There...at least, the version we know today...
Bob Ezrin came up with the very IDEA of The Trial and wrote the music...
Gilmour co-wrote Young Lust, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell...

Yep, Johnny...it's obvious that Roger wrote, recorded, produced, engineered, mixed and mastered The Wall all by himself, he's such a god-like being.

And the part of Roger Waters is being played by Richard Gere.
you sure do get pissy for nothing. All, I'm saying that the logical option for bass player is Andy Bown. I never said Roger is somekind of only mastermind behind PF. perhaps you should read the posts again.
Hey You's arpeggio is quite simple. its little like If's pattern.
What? lost for words and wish you were here have same riff? David also claimed that Ron Geesin didnt have rights for AHM compostion.
Bob and G. are credited in the album in songwriting and producing? and they get very good royalites from it or before G changed his royalties to pink floyd companys name which was way better business move so I dont see what is the issue in here?
Last edited by Johnny Rotten on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Johnny Rotten wrote: and if RPITI was a roger fanatic why did he dump this forum because of libby roger lover? (according to libbys words)
Because at the time, literally all her posts were "I love Roger, he's so sexy". Fortunately, she's developed now into a worthy contributor to the forum.
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Johnny Rotten »

Useful Idiot wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote: and if RPITI was a roger fanatic why did he dump this forum because of libby roger lover? (according to libbys words)
Because at the time, literally all her posts were "I love Roger, he's so sexy". Fortunately, she's developed now into a worthy contributor to the forum.
well, shouldnt RPITI have loved it if he was a Roger fanatic?